Question about shooting groups

ProfessorM

When testing loads, do you let the barrel cool down between each shot or shoot one right after another? I am trying to get my 300 RUM dialed in as good as I can. (I have the sporter barrel) My groups (3 shots) are almost always around 3/4 to 1 1/8 inches no matter what load I shoot. I get the occasional 3 shot 1/2 inch group, but 30 minutes later the group may be 1 1/4. I have not been letting the barrel cool between shots. I was just wondering what the "pros" do. Thanks for your help. I have made a lot of progress in the last 3 months (and spent a trainload of $$$$$)!

Are you doing load development, or sighting in?

If I am doing my final sight in, I start with a fowled bore and shoot a 5 shot group, but I let the gun get COLD between shots......I want to know my cold bore zero (I always do this when the temps are as close as possible to the ones you will hunt in). Mostly for the ammo's sake...your cartridge warms up in a hell of a hurry when sitting in a warm/hot chamber and velocitys can clime with the temps). I do not worry about stress-induced shifting of groups....a bbl that has not been properly stress-relieved may start to walk shots when it warms up, and I should already know about it (see below).

Now, knowing the above, I always shoot a couple of long strings with every new tube. Heat it up pretty good. Start with a cold/fowled bore and just start shooting a big group( # of shots, not group size :D ) . If there is stress, it will show up. You only need to do this once per bbl (I feel). Also, it is almost a moot point with a custom bbl. BUT.....factory bbls may walk shots.

When doing load development, I usualy shoot 3 shot groups (hunting guns). I do wait for the gun to cool some between groups, but , unless it is very hot out, or you are shooting a whole bunch of groups, I don't wait to long. I never wait for a COLD gun....that takes all day!!!

Last edited:
For hunting I shoot my 3 shot group as fast as I acuratly can. I let barrel cool down between groups not cold but for 10 min depending on temps. This will show u if bullets will react diffrent in a warm barrel.

Depending on temps, no less than 3 and no more than 5. Waiting can sometimes be a PIA but, sometimes I'll take 2 guns and alternate shooting them. Some will also do some reloading while they wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts