Shooting after cataracts surgery

I would not do the near far thing for reading. You can easily adjust the focus of your
Scope for good vision. I only had one eye done a few yrs ago. It was my non/dominant eye. Vision in the other was not bad enough to justify the surgery. I elected to have my lens corrected to normal 20/20. Since then my dominant eye cataract has worsened to the point I can't mount the rifle to shoot weak side…too blurry after adjusting for the side with the cataract. Pistol irons are tough too. I'll have to get the surgery soon. I'll do the same 20/20 lens.

I would not do the near far thing for reading. You can easily adjust the focus of your
Scope for good vision. I only had one eye done a few yrs ago. It was my non/dominant eye. Vision in the other was not bad enough to justify the surgery. I elected to have my lens corrected to normal 20/20. Since then my dominant eye cataract has worsened to the point I can't mount the rifle to shoot weak side…too blurry after adjusting for the side with the cataract. Pistol irons are tough too. I'll have to get the surgery soon. I'll do the same 20/20 lens.
I tried the near far thing with contacts. Didn't seem to get used to it. I would try thr contact route before the surgery to make sure I liked it. Just mu $,02

For those that are asking about shooting after cataract surgery- For my surgery (up to date technique and technology) I don't have any bending or lifting restrictions after surgery. That also means no limitations on shooting. Older techniques with larger incisions will have bending/lifting restrictions and limit activity after surgery.

I am set for June 9 for the start of surgeries on my eyes for cataract. I am just getting into long range shooting. I have a few different options on lenses for my eyes. But **** the price tag. I was thinking just a regular lens for distance. Anyone have cataracts and does it effect your shooting? And what type of lens did you have.
Best money you will ever spend....bar none!!!! If you didn't figure out the money thingy in life, give up beer, cigars, and/or wild women....even shooting.......for a year if you must. But, don't cheap out here!!!! Have store boughts in both eyes since 2016.......20/10 both eyes. No special lenses. No glasses for distance or reading......non-fogging, no wipers, no fingers in my eyes. In good lighting, I can easily read 1pt type. No issues shooting really big boomers or ELR. You will be AMAZED at the COLORFUL world you have forgotten. The guy doing the lens spec is your BFF&F&F&F&F....AMEN!!! Check him out carefully. Close doesn't cut it. This ain't hand grenades, horse shoes, fire for effect. My guy was even better than God's original ophthalmologist. Astigmatism can be a problem. Built in the Forties.....19s, not 18s......mostly unrestored survivor condition. Rode hard like stolen, put away wet, miraculously all parts in place, working order. Many creak, grown, complain. still a good beat cuties can dance to. Two better than new. :) :) :)

I have cataracts and I think they are worse than last year.I'm 65yrs now,I have an appointment next month for another evaluation. I'm farsighted with astigmatism and very high plus corrective lenses.20/20 in my left eye and 20/30 in my right eye,(I'm right handed and shoot right handed)with corrective lenses.My eye doctor told me I will be a happy camper when I get surgery. I've talked to several people who have had cataract surgery at the shooting range.Everyone of them say their vision is so clear since they had their surgery. I am so ready to have my eyes done.
"....have had cataract surgery at the shooting range." Multi-service organization....Cut'N'Shoot.. Did they allow that on the firing line, in the club house????

Don't forget. After a couple years the lenses fog. No one told me about that. There's a permanent fix, though. A doc did some kind of light treatment and I am better than new.

I was about blind in my right eye and 20/200 in my left eye. I hunt without glasses now! 20/20 right eye and 20/15 left eye.

I'M DIABETIC, AND WILL NEED CATARACT SURGERY ON MY LEFT EYE THIS YEAR. I ALSO HAVE A TEAR IN THE EDGE OF LENS IN MR RIGHT EYE THAT WILL NEED SURGERY PROBABLY NEXT YEAR. I NOW USE LONG VISION GLASSES, ... AND CHEAP GLASSES TO READ UP-CLOSE. CURRENT VISION IS 20/30 IN RIGHT EYE AND 20/50 IN LEFT WITHOUT GLASSES. I SURE HOPE THEY IMPROVE AFTER SURGERY!

if you are on Medicare and Diabetic then your costs are covered for cataract surgery, just had both eyes done this last Jan and eye doc suggested I wait 2-4 weeks before shooting just to be safe, has been wonderful but still wear glasses for close reading and distance, they could have put in a lenses to correct both but at an additional cost of 8400.00.I figured I could put up with glasses for that cost. now I see better than ever, even when I leave my glasses off for hunting and do not feel I need them when hunting they get in the way of the binos

Well, I have followed this thread and put it aside for a while. I read the opening portion of the thread and became VERY interested. I have a church friend that is also an ophthalmologist and we were captive in a car trip to CO for a ski trip in 2022-02. So being captive in the car, we visited for quite a while discussing this surgery/procedure. He explained the LAL (Light Adjustable Lens) to me – in considerable detail. It sounded like something out of a futuristic novel. Then – I read the beginnings of this thread and my interest really peaked. I checked back with the Doc and he confirmed the benefits. Short story – your old lenses (cataracts) are removed and the LAL lens is put in their place. In about 2 weeks, you receive your first "adjustment." These lenses contain particles that are reactive to UltraViolet light. When hit with the right/prescribed UV light, the particles react essentially changing the shape of the lens – changing the prescription of the lens – tweaking your vision POST SURGERY. You get a second "adjustment" a week later and a third a week later still. Once you have all the adjustments allowed, the vision is "Locked in" with a final light treatment.

I can only speak from part of the process. You see, I had both of my eyes done October 6th​ – just 5 days ago. I'll go back for my first adjustment on the 25th​.

I can already see as well today with no glasses as I could see with my Rx glasses prior to the surgery. And, I am told it will just get better from here.

The LAL lens is a pricey option – but from what I understand – and am hearing – is well worth it.

I'll try to update this post as mine progresses.

I am curious however, for those that have gone this route. What is the vision like looking through long range optics? I always fought my bifocals getting a good eye-relief. I am certainly planning on never having that issue again.

I am set for June 9 for the start of surgeries on my eyes for cataract. I am just getting into long range shooting. I have a few different options on lenses for my eyes. But **** the price tag. I was thinking just a regular lens for distance. Anyone have cataracts and does it effect your shooting? And what type of lens did you have.
Thanks for the post, I am scheduled for next month. I thought the Dr. installed the correct lens based on the individual patient requirements?

Well, I have followed this thread and put it aside for a while. I read the opening portion of the thread and became VERY interested. I have a church friend that is also an ophthalmologist and we were captive in a car trip to CO for a ski trip in 2022-02. So being captive in the car, we visited for quite a while discussing this surgery/procedure. He explained the LAL (Light Adjustable Lens) to me – in considerable detail. It sounded like something out of a futuristic novel. Then – I read the beginnings of this thread and my interest really peaked. I checked back with the Doc and he confirmed the benefits. Short story – your old lenses (cataracts) are removed and the LAL lens is put in their place. In about 2 weeks, you receive your first "adjustment." These lenses contain particles that are reactive to UltraViolet light. When hit with the right/prescribed UV light, the particles react essentially changing the shape of the lens – changing the prescription of the lens – tweaking your vision POST SURGERY. You get a second "adjustment" a week later and a third a week later still. Once you have all the adjustments allowed, the vision is "Locked in" with a final light treatment.

I can only speak from part of the process. You see, I had both of my eyes done October 6th​ – just 5 days ago. I'll go back for my first adjustment on the 25th​.

I can already see as well today with no glasses as I could see with my Rx glasses prior to the surgery. And, I am told it will just get better from here.

The LAL lens is a pricey option – but from what I understand – and am hearing – is well worth it.

I'll try to update this post as mine progresses.
Thanks for the info. Are all lenses adjustable or just the LAL?

Along the health line, anybody know of hearing aid that works and won't break the bank? I am left hand so my right ear is probably 50% or less.

I have hearing aids and a pair of half way decent ones run about 3500.00 the good ones 7000.00 so i have been told.all I know is ones I have for 4000.00 kind of suck I wish I had been smarter when younger