Shooting after heart surgery

I'm a nurse. Working in a heart bay, CABG surgery pts.
It probably isn't worth the risk of taking an animal this soon.
Your sternum is probably wired together and needs time to heal.
I'd be more worried about packing out the meat than recoil from a 6.5 you described.
Go on the hunt.
Maybe pack a rifle.?
Maybe squeeze off a round?
Let the kids pack out the meat.
and that is just what I did always take the young ones hunting with you

Also….. just so you know, your lungs are actually fine. They're not working well because the pump isn't working well. The trauma to your chest wall isn't helping either.

One last comment from my perspective. IF you make a decision to hunt in Idaho, I hope the expected altitude was clearly communicated. So if given green light, the one decision that I made to hunt altitude was to arrive 3-4 days prior to hunt at the hunt location as close to the altitude I could get. This allows your body to gently acclimate over time and reduces significant cardio stress once you actually start hunting. This has been an absolute game changer for me since it took a lot of physical and emotional stress off the body. Its an enormous positive step to help your body at altitude.

I also STRONGLY recommend using trekking poles to provide added stability and support for going up and down elevation.

So if this hunt is not fully guided, I would still think hard about any heavy exertion at altitude.

Best of luck and hope it works out well for you.

One last comment from my perspective. IF you make a decision to hunt in Idaho, I hope the expected altitude was clearly communicated. So if given green light, the one decision that I made to hunt altitude was to arrive 3-4 days prior to hunt at the hunt location as close to the altitude I could get. This allows your body to gently acclimate over time and reduces significant cardio stress once you actually start hunting. This has been an absolute game changer for me since it took a lot of physical and emotional stress off the body. Its an enormous positive step to help your body at altitude.

I also STRONGLY recommend using trekking poles to provide added stability and support for going up and down elevation.

So if this hunt is not fully guided, I would still think hard about any heavy exertion at altitude.

Best of luck and hope it works out well for you.
"gently acclimate". Huh. 3-4 days is snot enough to acclimate. But I don't want to be a Debbie Downer. Just be aware -- coming from anywhere below 5000 MSL, most of Idaho will leave you panting. Been there; done that.

Huh. 3-4 days is snot enough to acclimate.
Agree. Lived above 6000' in Colorado for a long time, and even then going up to 10,000' wasn't a jog up a hill. Add in grade and total elevation change along routes and it's not something a few days does anything for other than you stop puking if you're prone to that kind of thing. Thankfully I am not, but I've had many friends who are.

If you do your training and are fit, the 3-4 days does help. If do nothing, then really doesn't matter. I can only relate how it positively helped me lessen the strain. I walked 9-11 miles every other day prepping plus bike and even at my age after 5 stents, I did not have any altitude effects.

If you do your training and are fit, the 3-4 days does help. If do nothing, then really doesn't matter. I can only relate how it positively helped me lessen the strain. I walked 9-11 miles every other day prepping plus bike and even at my age after 5 stents, I did not have any altitude effects.
Discussion of altitude sickness is a whole other, complex bag of worms. I'm staying out of it.

Well, look at it like this: Go hunting, be where you want to be. If you see something that you can't live without, literally, then shoot it. There is such a thing as a good death. Define it.
I've told my wife not to be sad for me if I die while hunting or fly fishing in the Rocky Mountains. I'll already be half way to heaven, if that is my final destination.

I've told my wife not to be sad for me if I die while hunting or fly fishing in the Rocky Mountains. I'll already be half way to heaven, if that is my final destination.
I told my wife the same exact thing. Good friend of family took his hunting walk out of his cabin in Adirondacks. Did not return and everyone just felt he was where he is supposed to be. Search and rescue found him on his trail and was clear it was before he hit ground. Everyone was happy he was where he loved to be. That's all we can ask for.