Texas Heart Shot

I "had" to take this shot last season on a severely wounded elk. It was that or allow him to go into a very bad place after being bumped (and they can go a long ways wounded). At <50 yards I put two 300 grain Bergers right up the rump. The second shot broke his pelvis and dropped his back end, this slowed him down enough to slip one into the base of his skull. It ended in seconds, and possibly saved us a very tough pack out. However, it ruined a LOT of meat!

To the OP,
Not flaming you but I wouldn't have recommended the shot you took to about 99.9% of the people I know, even the well established shooters. To me that is a marginal shot on a small moving target at several hundred meters.
Emergencies as in the situation above (at least that's what I call putting a wounded animal down quickly) I say yes. I don't consider "Having to get the animal before he gets away" an emergency...such is hunting. Maybe I have just matured a little....maybe.:rolleyes: I let the biggest 8 point I may ever see walk at under 50 yards a couple months back, because I didn't feel right about shooting through some brush he was in.
I do understand that sometimes our nerves get the best of us. In the heat of the moment I dialed wind the wrong way on my elk this year and I was about to freak out watching that buck walk away. Sometimes we have to make a snap decision, we end up doing what we do and have to live with our actions. I unfortunately have learned most life lessons the hard way.

Last edited:
I'll tell ya, there's nothing that takes the pleasure out of hunting like doing it for a living. That skinning job I had (several actually) was definitely eye opening.

I actually feel for some of these guys because honestly, they don't know any better and never had anyone offer to try and help them learn anything new or to help them improve on their skills.

I actually got a compliment from the guys at our local processor this year. The same kid has been helping me unload deer and hogs there for years and he noted this year towards the end of the season that it always impressed him that the wife and I don't seem to ever waste a shot on game. I pointed out to him that, that was the result of over 40 years of always trying to hone my skills and teaching others to do the same.

I can imagine so.

I try to take guys out to the range for a few reason one to show what some of these guns are capable of at longer distances and two so they actually get practice in but none ever want to go citing mostly they don't have time. I'm like I dont spend enough time out hunting as I'd like so when I do get an opportunity to take a shot I want it to count. I will say though since some have looked through some of my scopes a couple have upgraded their optic's so it's a start atleast.

I challenge everyone here to go hang out at a Walmart after dark on the night before opening morning of deer season. They will sell more ammo after dark that night than the rest of the year.

Everyone there if you ask them will say "WELL IT WAS SIGHTED IN 3 YRS AGO". When you point out that they originally asked for 150gr and are now holding 220gr they will say "WHATS THE DIFFERENCE".

Welcome to the real world.

I challenge everyone here to go hang out at a Walmart after dark on the night before opening morning of deer season. They will sell more ammo after dark that night than the rest of the year.

Everyone there if you ask them will say "WELL IT WAS SIGHTED IN 3 YRS AGO". When you point out that they originally asked for 150gr and are now holding 220gr they will say "WHATS THE DIFFERENCE".

Welcome to the real world.

Yep... Been there, heard and seen that. It amazes me how many stupid people with guns are in the woods...Which is why I don't hunt public land.

Yep... Been there, heard and seen that. It amazes me how many stupid people with guns are in the woods...Which is why I don't hunt public land.

There were several threads on HERE this year about people who shot MULTIPLE deer this yr in the heart and the bullet failed and the deer didn't die. One guy shot 3 IN THE HEART and the bullet failed and he never found them. W O W!

There were several threads on HERE this year about people who shot MULTIPLE deer this yr in the heart and the bullet failed and the deer didn't die. One guy shot 3 IN THE HEART and the bullet failed and he never found them. W O W!

thay the saim kinda people WHO say 7mm doesnt kill. its too fast so it goes through the animal too quick :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.