G1–G7: Nearly had a heart attack!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Comancheria, Jun 8, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. DSheetz

DSheetz Well-Known Member

aren't most threaded for size 6 instead of size 8 screws so just went up a size I think

2. Susquatch

Susquatch Well-Known Member

Yup, most factory actions take #6 screws. Most custom actions take #8 screws. Easy to open up and tap a factory action to #8 and many quality rails are available with #8 screws too.

I prefer #8 screws, but wouldn't modify an action unless I had to. #6 screws do work fine. Their biggest weakness is the odd heavy handed owner stripping them by overtorquing.

I think the previous poster intentionally upsized thinking that upsizing allows a smith to offset the new holes a bit to align the mounts. While that is true, it is a lot easier said than done. The new holes have to milled instead of drilled because a drill will simply follow the old hole.

Frog4aday likes this.
  3. DSheetz

DSheetz Well-Known Member

thank you for the explanation and clarification Susquatch

Susquatch likes this.
  4. Kimber7man

Kimber7man Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Yep, except I now only own one Kimber rifle and it’s a 6.5PRC!

Susquatch likes this.
  5. Susquatch

Susquatch Well-Known Member

Whew! Originally I had written "bad anything except the odd owner and the odd 6.5 CM. Then figured there was no point in starting a war. Glad to hear yours is a PRC instead. My 6.5 is a Rem in a custom 700 I did for myself with a 9 twist to get away from those useless long pointy bullets everyone else likes....... (Flack jacket on)........ :eek:

Bob Wright likes this.