Berger Hunting VLDs: Heart/lung vs Shoulder

I'm a little sensitive to DRT because my neighbors are anti hunters.

2 years ago I took a heart/lung on a big buck. Took out both lungs and the top of the heart. Still ran 30 yards into the neighbors property. He had heard the shot and came out to argue. Refused to allow me to retrieve the deer until the cops were called to settle it.

I choose that particular location on my 5 acres because that is the safest location to shoot, down into a gulley. Unfortunately it's close to his property. His house is 400 yards away over two hills but his property line goes pretty close. Anti-hunter on the other side too.

I will be using a suppressor this year to tame down the noise and unfortunately can't archery hunt because the deer run too far.
Get one of these...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ducts_id/80179/Remington+700+TACT+300+BLK+OUT

Load up some expanding 215-230 grain hollow points at subsonic velocities in some old Lake City 5.56 brass that you cut down and reformed to .300 BLK.

Screw on the suppressor.

Hunt inside of 100 yards and you'll be just fine.

And last, but not least... Enjoy hunting, knowing that your neighbor will never hear jack crap when you pull the trigger...So, what he doesn't know, won't hurt him...And you won't have to listen to him b!tch about you exercising your right to feed your family during a legal hunting season. :D

This was a 130gr Berger out of a .270 Win...shot was 75 yards and without a heart the deer still ran over 50 yards...I now pretty much go for a high shoulder shot with every bullet.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 155
I'm a little sensitive to DRT because my neighbors are anti hunters.

2 years ago I took a heart/lung on a big buck. Took out both lungs and the top of the heart. Still ran 30 yards into the neighbors property. He had heard the shot and came out to argue. Refused to allow me to retrieve the deer until the cops were called to settle it.

I choose that particular location on my 5 acres because that is the safest location to shoot, down into a gulley. Unfortunately it's close to his property. His house is 400 yards away over two hills but his property line goes pretty close. Anti-hunter on the other side too.

I will be using a suppressor this year to tame down the noise and unfortunately can't archery hunt because the deer run too far.
You need to switch to a good mono or bonded bullet then.

Punching the shoulders with a Berger is a crap shoot and even when successful is going to waste a huge amount of meat.

I am switching to Berger 140 hunting VLDs this year since that's what my new rifle likes most.

I have heard this bullet tends to fragment as opposed to expand. If that's the case, should I look for a heart/lung shot as opposed to a shoulder shot?

My property is not particularly large so I try to drop them DRT. Shoulder shots have been effective at this but I'm not sure how well a fragmenting bullet will worj for that shot.

Any with experience with VLDs through the shoulder? White tail is target species. Muzzle velocity with 6.5 140
I am switching to Berger 140 hunting VLDs this year since that's what my new rifle likes most.

I have heard this bullet tends to fragment as opposed to expand. If that's the case, should I look for a heart/lung shot as opposed to a shoulder shot?

My property is not particularly large so I try to drop them DRT. Shoulder shots have been effective at this but I'm not sure how well a fragmenting bullet will worj for that shot.

Any with experience with VLDs through the shoulder? White tail is target species. Muzzle velocity with 6.5 140 VLD is 2750.

Aloha fellow shooters... I'm new to this site and I don't know how to start or lost a new topic. I just wanted to let you folks know that Brownells has Berger 6.5mm 140 VLD hunting in stock!!! They also have a code "NCS" for $15 off of $150 and FREE SHIPPING!! Please excuse me for bombing this thread but I just wanted to let you folks know before it's sold out. Again I apologize and I will learn how to make a proper post. I appreciate your understanding!! Aloha, Kalsey Sr.

Bolt actions are MUCH quieter than gas guns...No moving parts, and all noise exits the muzzle... Just food for thought... ;)
You're right, I should have clarified its a Ruger American Ranch. Bolt gun.

I've also noticed a subsonic .308 packed with trailboss is quieter than a .300 BO. A friend shooting 9ish grains of trailboss and a 180 grain is significantly quieter than my blackout.

So I've settled on this:

For public land hunting, I will continue to use my 140 VLD load. It is by far the most accurate for this gun and I'm more likely to take a longer shot. Tracking the deer is not a problem here so will go for heart/lung.

For hunting my own property, I will switch to the 143 ELD-x. While not quite as accurate as the bergers out of this gun, the shots should be short enough for that to not matter. I'll take high shoulder shots with these, which is what I did last year with a different gun with good success.

Shot a few through shoulders with 140 VLDs Bergers with no issues. Shot two bears through shoulders with 250 elite hunter. Broke the shoulder and bears were DRT. I wouldn't worry the bergers they will do fine

6B0585FC-ED02-49E1-95AC-402600819619.jpeg
815E3448-A235-4BD9-A7DC-C44F1F64DCA5.jpeg
A6D91285-30AA-4443-9442-0881F133375A.jpeg
I did a little testing for the hell of it earlier this year. I took an elk femur and put two layers of cardboard and then taped the femur to water jugs. Load was 6.5 140 berger at 3100fps. Femur was shot from 40yards. As you can see it will have no problem plowing through a deers shoulder

lennyo3034

Some accuracy info on both bullets would be helpful. It's likely that poi is going to be different between the two. So having to make changes to your scope to compensate can create some problems. Like forgetting to re-zero your scope when you change loads.

I don't care much for bergers other than punching paper, but I know plenty of guys that like them for hunting as well. That being said, if you can't get the eld-x to perform to your liking for the range you'd like to hunt, I'd just stick with the berger. At closer range on deer, and a high shoulder shot, the berger will be just fine. Low velocity, long range shots are where the berger tends to pencil through/fail to expand.

As mentioned above, make sure your meplat on the berger isn't closed, you can use a small drill bit to make sure the jacket isn't pinched shut.

Good luck!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.