Shooting after heart surgery

wldcat

I'll try to make this short and sweet but couldn't get a straight answer from my dr so maybe some members have been through this and can help me and my dr make an informed decision. I had a heart attack Sunday the 2nd, got transported to a heart facility and had a couple bypasses put in a couple days later. After surgery they told me I would have no restrictions after nov 5th, as in full release! So I said that's perfect I have a hunt scheduled in Idaho November 6th !!!!! And then they all looked at me kind of crossed and said you can't shoot a rifle! So I guess it's not full release after all, closest thing I got to someone giving me a time frame was an occupational therapist and she said at least after the new year before I can shoot again. Not shooting a cannon either, this year's rifle is 11lb 6.5ss with a brake, basically zero recoil but I do plan to listen to dr and not shoot, but I would like to find out when it is safe to shoot.
Thanks for any insight anyone has

wldcat,
Not the same, but similar. Had a heart attack July 4th. Two stints, out of hospital July 5th at noon. In truck for road trip to Montana July 9th. Baby girl was getting married in Glacier Nat'l. Stopped in SD for prairie dog hunt on the 11th. Mostly used 308 and 6.5prc. Did drag out the 300RUM for a few…whacked one at 1005yds. 5006mi. later, back home in Ohio.
Obviously not giving med. advice, but depending on your healing process, bet you will be just fine for your hunt!
Glad all went well for you and best wishes for you and your family!

Do you shoot right-handed or left? Left would put the rifle butt about 3-4" from the top of your heart, where the main part of the surgery presumably took place. The recoil will be further away from your heart if you shoot right-handed.

I had shoulder surgery and asked my doctor about shooting a rifle. He recommended I complete physical therapy first, and I realized when I started PT that was a good recommendation. But that was on my right shoulder, where the rifle would be hitting me every time I shot.

I also realized when I asked the doctor that he was not a shooter and probably had little understanding of what was involved in shooting a high-power rifle. If you're having PT, I would recommend talking to your physical therapist. Mine grew up in Montana and knew far more about big game hunting than my surgeon.

This is not a direct answer to your question, partly because I am not a physician so can't give medical advice, and partly because only you know how you heal and how you feel.

I'm not a doctor either and please don't take this as anything more than my non-medical opinion but I have absolutely no idea why the doctor told you not to shoot after your heart surgery if you aren't experiencing anything but mild recoil.

He/she is obviously not a shooter or hunter. I DO agree that shooting right handed might be better.

Also consider that any advice a doctor gives you leaves them open to a malpractice suit so they will almost always err on the side of caution and tell you not to do ANYTHING that might get them sued. It really limits getting an honest answer to many questions and you have to take anything they say with the grain of salt and with that in mind.

I had a heart attack in Sept 2005 and received 5 stents as result. This is what I learned. Speak with your cardiologist more frankly.

Your heart is a muscle and can be severely bruised from a heart attack and requires sufficient time to recover. There are significantly other impacts from have bypasses that also require extensive recovery time. Do not underestimate the seriousness and significance of sufficient recovery time for adequate healing.

I highly recommend you discuss every detail of shooting a high power rifle with your cardiologist. Explain everything in excruciating minutia. They do not have a clue on details of shooting a rifle, the physical and emotional effort to shoot at a big game animal. You need to hear the hard facts once the cardiologist understands the total effort including shooting a rifle with recoil. Therapists are NOT cardiologists so IMO, the discussion had to be with your cardiologist. I explained what I needed to do and he was very thoughtful and honest in response to me.

We all want everything back to normal ASAP but it will never be normal again. You will have to adjust. I was back hunting high altitude but I made adjustments to accommodate my potential risks.

If you had open heart surgery I think the concern is your split sternum along with your heart. My wife had open heart surgery in July and Dr restricted her lifting for quite a while. He even said no shooting (he is from TX 😁 ). From what I understand the sternum takes some time to heal completely. I would ask a point blank question and abide by what is said.

I'll try to make this short and sweet but couldn't get a straight answer from my dr so maybe some members have been through this and can help me and my dr make an informed decision. I had a heart attack Sunday the 2nd, got transported to a heart facility and had a couple bypasses put in a couple days later. After surgery they told me I would have no restrictions after nov 5th, as in full release! So I said that's perfect I have a hunt scheduled in Idaho November 6th !!!!! And then they all looked at me kind of crossed and said you can't shoot a rifle! So I guess it's not full release after all, closest thing I got to someone giving me a time frame was an occupational therapist and she said at least after the new year before I can shoot again. Not shooting a cannon either, this year's rifle is 11lb 6.5ss with a brake, basically zero recoil but I do plan to listen to dr and not shoot, but I would like to find out when it is safe to shoot.
Do not listen to anyone else other than your doctor. Your health and ultimately your life is at risk. Most of us at best has slept at a…..Holiday Inn Express and THINK we know it all. Good luck and please be careful.

My apologies for my candor; listen to your doc, not us. Life is too short, so enjoy it with your loved ones! I, too, am not a doctor, but I lost my sister on Sep 8 this year from heart failure—a year and a half ago. A year and a half ago, she had blockage in 3 arteries. They made a splint, and it was OK until 3 weeks ago. They opened up 3 new arterial and valve blockages and installed a pacemaker. Despite all the docs' efforts, she lost the battle after 6 cardiac arrests. She was 69 years old. God bless!

I had quad bypass surgery in February of 2007 and I deer hunted that Thanksgiving in NC (flatland) After Physical therapy I felt pretty good. I was shooting a light recoiling .270win load with 130gr partitions. No recoil discomfort with the heavy jacket. No trouble climbing into elevated stands. I could not drag a deer though and I found it uncomfortable to carry the rifle, in hand or over the shoulder. That was not part of my P.T. What my doc advised was "activity as tolerated"

The hardest thing to do is to open your "heart" up to your cardiologist with clear concise descriptions of your hunting and shooting activity. Leave no stone unturned. Be prepared for both good and not so good recommendations. A good doc will be appreciative of your honesty and so will you of theirs.

Be safe! Its only one ride.

I AM a doctor and do cardiac anesthesia for all sorts of surgeries including open heart bypass. That said I have an unwritten rule to not provide medical advice on forums but I am going to break that rule today. Recoil whether massive or minimal is a force that will impact tissue in the path of the force. If you had open heart surgery your sternum was literally cut in half and is being held together by metal wire until it heals which will take time. I promise that you want your sternum to heal properly. Second and most important is you have anywhere from 2 to 5 new grafts which are vessels sewn from your aorta to your heart to bypass the blockages using sutures a little bigger than the size of a hair. This is delicate tissue and I personally would not want to subject that tissue to a concussive force before it heals bc those new vessels are keeping your heart muscle (or what is left of it after a heart attack) alive. Follow your docs advice whether you think they know about shooting or not.