Scope that won't break on 300 win mag

Vx3i or a vx5 if you can run into a deal on a used one? Highly recommend the vx5. I have had one of mine on a 300 win, 7rum, and now a 7wsm. Zero issues. Tracks like it has eyes. Glass is excellent

I wish I knew that before my RUM went through two vipers
I've mounted north of a hundred vortex vipers alone mostly on magnums, have yet to see one be sent back, used to see multiple Leupolds a month make the trip.
You can jack a vortex up with incorrect mounting, I've seen guys crank rings down right at the erector and deform tubes.
I actually used a Viper to test rifles that came in with accuracy issues, when a rifle came in with a Leupold that was the first thing to test.

I've mounted north of a hundred vortex vipers alone mostly on magnums, have yet to see one be sent back, used to see multiple Leupolds a month make the trip.
You can jack a vortex up with incorrect mounting, I've seen guys crank rings down right at the erector and deform tubes.
I actually used a Viper to test rifles that came in with accuracy issues, when a rifle came in with a Leupold that was the first thing to test.
More power to ya. The only scopes I have seen break more than Vortex are Nikons. I've seen leupolds break. I've seen Swarovski break. Anything and everything mechanical breaks. Ive had good luck with Leupys as I've only ever sent back one. A vx2 4-12 that took a nasty fall on a rock.

Point being OP has broken 2 Vortex I really see it as rather counter intuitive to recommend another scope just like what he's broken twice? If he wanted to go for round three he would not have purposed the question here

More power to ya. The only scopes I have seen break more than Vortex are Nikons. I've seen leupolds break. I've seen Swarovski break. Anything and everything mechanical breaks. Ive had good luck with Leupys as I've only ever sent back one. A vx2 4-12 that took a nasty fall on a rock.

Point being OP has broken 2 Vortex I really see it as rather counter intuitive to recommend another scope just like what he's broken twice? If he wanted to go for round three he would not have purposed the question here
I've found its better to figure out the issue, if one optic goes down ya it broke get it fixed and keep rolling but to have 4 go down, gotta start looking for the common denominator and figure out the real issue.

1) They will all fail. How many rounds are these scopes lasting?
2) Considering how and who is mounting them would be high on my list, with 4 failures.
3) Work OT, or sell plasma, and tuck it away.
4) Good deals on scopes are frequently in the classifieds.
5) The stresses brakes, and sleds put on a firearm are real.
6) As much as I like the Berger 215, never seen them fix a scope problem.😉
7) BC don't mean much if you can't hold zero.🙄

It's a good thing my buddy Litz can... strange as when I use a hammers BC, it's always lower impact than it should be but when I go back to the bergers, everything is right where it should be? 😎
Ohhh, that's cute, name dropping!!

Let's not forget how many times Bryan has revised Berger's BCs!!

Last edited:
I have a Savage in 300 win mag that absolutely eats scopes. I've blew up 4 scopes . 2 Bushnell and 2 Vortex . They have all be warranted . I usually miss something before I know the scope is junk. I have a DNZ Game Reaper mount . I'm not looking to break the bank here . $500 -$600 is my budget . Any ideas ??? Thanks.
I reached out to a few tech reps from some of the brands we handle and this is the feedback/suggestions I received:

Hawke:
Hawke Optics produces extremely durable riflescopes. High-power rifles, spring-powered airguns and crossbows are very punishing on optics. At Hawke, we are one of the industry leaders in these categories. Therefore, all of our optics are produced with a very high durability standard. Other than a few of the wire-reticle Vantage scopes, any of our riflescopes should handle your Savage 300 win mag with no problem. If it's for hunting, we recommend our Endurance line ($399-$509). If it's for hunting or long-distance target shooting, we recommend Sidewinder ($489-$539). We would also recommend the Frontier, which is our very best glass ($549-$949). There's a wide range of magnifications and reticles to choose from and they all include our Hawke No-Fault Lifetime Warranty.

Meopta:
I 'm not sure what he was using in the past tube diameter wise, but the 2.5-15x44 Optika6 would be a good one. That is right at his budget at $550 or $600 illuminated.

Leupold:
Any thing Leupold in his price point. As all Leupold is subjected to the same punishment test. I would need more info for a recommendation. Power? We have in the price range with many options.

Athlon:
If he is looking to do long range shooting/hunting, I would absolutely recommend the Midas TAC 6-24x50. That will be the most durable scope for that price point. Also, I would recommend the Midas HMR 2.5-15x50 for the hunting scenario. The HMR will have capped turrets, be second focal plane and have an illuminated reticle. The TAC will be First Focal, have no illumination, a true zero stop on the elevation and provide very tactile clicks on the exposed type turret system.

Sig Sauer:
Probably nothing in that price range that is going to hold up super well on that gun. You could check the Tango4 series, but slightly higher price.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.