Mount & Rings that work but won't break bank!!

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Ramses II, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Ramses II

Ramses II Well-Known Member

Mount & Rings that work but won\'t break bank!!

I have a Savage 10FP-LE2 in .308 & a Super Sniper 10x42 scope. I will be shooting 200-300 yds. most of the time, 500 yds. max. What mounts and rings would be suitable for this work without braking the bank? Thanks for the advice.

Also, w/ a 42mm objective can I use low rings or medium rings?

Ramses II

2. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Re: Mount & Rings that work but won\'t break bank!!

You might consider Warne two piece steel Weaver-style bases and their Maxima rings. I like the Maximas without the side levers but they are an option if you wish to remove the scope. Very strong and simple. For those distances you do not require sloped bases or offset ring sleeves. The Warnes are very reasonably priced and easy to install yourself. I would use a Weaver style system rather than the Redfield design that is so popular for hunting rigs.

3. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

4. 3sixbits

3sixbits Well-Known Member

5. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

Re: Mount & Rings that work but won\'t break bank!!

Ramses,
    ive got 2 sets of aluminum 2piece Millett bases that I used for 2 years on my 300WM before going to a sloped base. If you have a blued reciever they will match great. There are some disadvantages to aluminum, but it really only matters at longer ranges than 500. They are yours if you want them.
    OH, are your reciever bridges both round, or is the rear one flat? (pre acutrigger is flat rear, current model is double round)