Savage SA build ideas

Call it, its track record... which I think the .22 CM is still working on. With that said; and as you stated, you could go either way so it sounds to me like it's whatever in the end makes you smile. Cheers
Makes sense. I do like the 22-250, especially the AI. They all make me smile, that's what makes it hard. Could always do both. I do think I'd like a slower twist 22-250 to shoot lighter bullets, in the 50-60gr class. Maybe. There's not enough money for all the guns I want.

I have not had a 22 CM but did have a 6.5CM. It was a very good round but built it as a chassis rifle and someone else liked it better than I did. I have had many 22-250's over the last 38 years and my first AI 25 years ago. I like Ackley's because you rarely have to trim brass, you pick up a little speed but that is just a bonus, factory ammo is usually very accurate to fire form so you can adjust POI and just use it to hunt or shoot with. one of the other big issues right now is you can always find 22-250 factory ammo if you need to fire form and don't have brass but in my area I don't see much 22CM ammo. 22CM may be a great round but finding ammo is pretty important. I'm kind of old school, have tons of 22-250 brass and dies for both so don't need a new cartridge that does the same thing as one of my favorites.
See that's another thing. I'd have to get new dies anyway, because if I did the 22-250 it'd be improved. I don't think I'd ever even consider shooting factory ammo out of anything bought or built, no matter what. So that's not really a concern for me. Dies are always included in the purchase price for me, unless it something I already have. I guess for me, the process and price is indifferent and I've never had a 22 Creedmoor and I really like trying new things especially when it comes to guns. I think I have an unhealthy addiction to new cartridges.

^^ this is the real problem right here^^ I'm right there with ya.
My end goal is to have at least one in every caliber (not cartridge) up to maybe 375. And most pistol calibers, the ones I really like at least, don't need to get too crazy with those. I'm most of the way there so far, I only need a couple of pistols more, and at least 10 more rifles, then I can really start diversifying. I tend to end up with a lot of 7mm/284s.

My end goal is to have at least one in every caliber (not cartridge) up to maybe 375. And most pistol calibers, the ones I really like at least, don't need to get too crazy with those. I'm most of the way there so far, I only need a couple of pistols more, and at least 10 more rifles, then I can really start diversifying. I tend to end up with a lot of 7mm/284s.
Problem is they invent new calibers almost as fast as congress prints new money and don't give it to me. What are the next 10 calibers on your list? Rifle and pistol here's mine:
1. 308
2. 25creed
3. 450 bushmaster
4. A better 556
5. 54cal jeager (BP gun)
6. 45acp (pistol)
7. 6.5-284
8. 338LM
9. 22-250ai
10. 375/408chytc

Problem is they invent new calibers almost as fast as congress prints new money and don't give it to me. What are the next 10 calibers on your list? Rifle and pistol here's mine:
1. 308
2. 25creed
3. 450 bushmaster
4. A better 556
5. 54cal jeager (BP gun)
6. 45acp (pistol)
7. 6.5-284
8. 338LM
9. 22-250ai
10. 375/408chytc
Well, I still need a .224, that will be this gun, probably going to end up being a 22 Creed.

Then I still need a .177 and a .204. I don't know when I'll get those as they're not priorities for me. Those will likely be a 17 Hornet and a 204 Ruger or 20 Practical.

Next I'd like to fill my .257 caliber, that's likely as it's looking to be something in the 25 Creed or even an SS/T, this is likely to be my next rifle.

I need a .277, that'll be without question a 270 WSM.

Because of my affinity for 7mm's I haven't found the need for a .308 cal. I have no idea what this will be. Might do something that makes it worth it so I can shoot the big 245s.

Then I'll need a 338 Lapua Mag Improved.

Then a 35 something. I have no idea.

Then a 375, I'd like a Cheytac, but I might opt for a 375 H&H because they're a classic.

I'd still need to buy a 45-70 at some point too. That might fall in somewhere early in the process because I'd like to have one in grizzly country.

People suggesting a short action magnum made me think. I don't know if they still do but Savage used a large shank for all of their WSM's. Is this still true today? Is it recommended if you are going to build a short action magnum?

People suggesting a short action magnum made me think. I don't know if they still do but Savage used a large shank for all of their WSM's. Is this still true today? Is it recommended if you are going to build a short action magnum?
I believe they still do. I don't think it's completely necessary but likely a good idea. That's one reason I was considering (if I were to do it) getting a WSM for that application. I think I've seen some 6.5 PRCs with large shank actions as well. I do think there are some barrel manufacturers that make short magnum pre-fits for small shanks.

Okay guys, I'm getting ready to start ordering parts for this in the next couple of weeks. The thing is that I'm not 100% sure what I want for an optic. I'd like to keep it around the $1k-$1.5k range(sub-$2k). I get mil discounts on stuff so take that into consideration, as the $1.5k is what I'm considering max with a discount, I don't really want anything under the $1k range unless it's really THAT good. I want FFP and something with around 20x or so on the high end. I've been poking around the idea of getting a Mark 5, as well as looking into Burris and others. I didn't realize Vortex had gotten so proud of their Razor line. And quit making the AMG? I was thinking the Razor HD would be a good scope for the price but not if they want as much as they do for them now. Either way, I'd like to hear some recommendations.

For the parts list for those that are interested.

From NSS it'll be a Criterion MTU contour 26", 1:8t, 22 Creedmoor, with a threaded barrel for a break (might not need it). As well as a barrel nut and recoil lug.

From MDT it'll be the XRS and AICS-style metal 10-round magazine.

Timney trigger.

From PTG all I'll need are headspace gauges.

And an APA or Area 419 self-timing muzzle brake.

I should be able to put it all together for around $1350.

Last edited:
Sounds similar to what I built except ats tuner. It's a tack driver. I put the vortex viper pst gen 2 on it and it sits a little too high but hardly any recoil so it's no big deal but takes some time to get used to it.

Sounds similar to what I built except ats tuner. It's a tack driver. I put the vortex viper pst gen 2 on it and it sits a little too high but hardly any recoil so it's no big deal but takes some time to get used to it.
Why not just get some/a lower scope rings/mount? I know with one of my current rifles I have medium rings and a 50mm obj and it's about perfect with a sporter-style stock. I think I can even fit a 56mm with that same setup, but it's pretty close. That is with a 20MOA rail and 30mm tube.

Recent Posts