Savage SA build ideas

chav0_12

So, not sure if this should go in gunsmithing or not, I think this is a good place for it.

I have a Savage short action that I got cheap, it's a newer round receiver with AccuTrigger(which will get replaced). This action has a .308 bolt face.

I'm not sure what to turn it into, it's not suited for a light rifle build, I'll do that later on a Ti action, so I'm thinking a heavier target/match/varmint type of rig. I was originally thinking I'd do something like a 6XC or 6SLR. I'm open to a 6.5/264 something or other too. Lately, since I've recently acquired a 6.5 Creedmoor I was thinking a 22-250AI with a 1:7 or something .224 caliber with a fast twist. I'm really open to just about anything. I'm pretty sure I already know everything I want to put on this thing besides the chambering and barrel, I'd like a pre-fit for simplicity sakes. High BC and lighter weight bullets is what I want (sub ~140gr or so), I don't think I'd want to go bigger than 6.5/264.

I have been considering doing something faster too, like changing the bolt face and going with a WSM/SAUM face, maybe something like a 7mm WSM/SAUM or even the 6.5 variant. Obviously over the 140gr bullets, but if I'm not going to a magnum I'd like to stay lighter.

I just need some help deciding on where to take this thing in the direction I really want. A switch barrel 22-250AI/6XC or 243AI(or something) is an idea I had but I don't know how much I want to dump into a Savage action. The switch barrel might be something I save for a later build with a custom action.

Help me decide what to do, what chambering I should make this.

Common advice is to go LA for the 6.5x284, that said I am really close to testing my newly built Savage SA 6.5x284, in a week or two I'll be able to tell you how it went. I went with a Xcaliber barrel from Crown Ridge barrels, it's a 25" #4 contour with CRB's lightweight brake. My idea is to shoot the Speer Gold Dot 140gr bullets at 2.98 OAL and I'm hoping for something north of 2900fps with RL23. I went with the 6.5x284 mainly because I have all the dies/brass already. With a Leupold vx2 3-9x40 cds the rifle weighs 8 3/4 pounds after bedding the barrel and recoil lug, not light but not to heavy either.

Savage actions are fun to play with :) I had the same issues wondering if it was worth spending money on. I did, and I'm glad I did.
The actions are sloppy and gritty, certainly not precision tolerances or smooth... but they work and work well. The Accutrigger is excellent for a budget rifle trigger. Best part is you can swap out barrels, changing calibers at home if you want to try something different without dumping a bunch of money on another rifle.
I added a Shilen 308 26" varmint, Choate stock and SHV 5-20 NF. For under 2K this rifle drives tacks. I recently swapped out for a 7mm-08 Shilen barrel.. may try another caliber or 2 before I'm finished playing with it. You can also just swap out the bolt face (very cheap). I don't worry about rain, dings, etc as I'm not babying a high dollar gun!
I refer to the rifle as my Franklin-Salvage 😬.
I'll keep playing around with this one until I find a caliber I love. At that time I may build a "nice" rifle, maybe lol.. but until then I'll keep having fun with this one 👍
Accuracy is all about the 3 Bs. Barrel, bullet, brass and my Rifle has a good barrel 🙂
I can't shoot tighter than this rifle, so is spending more really worth it to me at this time? May go back to the 308 barrel, no.. maybe 260, wait maybe I try 284 Win or 7 SAUM lol.. the list of calibers to play with never ends!
Good luck.

I built two LH Savages last year, a 260 and a 22-250, both have Shilen barrels and both shoot very well. With scopes they weigh 9 lbs, 3 oz.

260ai or 25 creed. Also depending on what components u have will dictate what to build next. Waited 9 months for 2 boxes of Lapua 6.5 PRC brass before I started with that build. Now the fun begins!!!!!

260ai or 25 creed. Also depending on what components u have will dictate what to build next. Waited 9 months for 2 boxes of Lapua 6.5 PRC brass before I started with that build. Now the fun begins!!!!!
That's one reason I was leaning toward a 22-250, I have a bunch of brass for it. Granted none of it is quality brass but it would at least get me shooting.

I built two LH Savages last year, a 260 and a 22-250, both have Shilen barrels and both shoot very well. With scopes they weigh 9 lbs, 3 oz.
What did you use for a stock? I had originally intended on going with the Bell and Carlson with the vertical grip and adjustable cheek piece but have recently been considering H-S Precision and Manners as well.

@Sockeye66 if I had a LA I might do it. I built my LA Savage and finished they last summer, it's a 28 Nosler. I really like that rifle. It shoots amazingly well.

@Texis I always liked the AccuTrigger as a factory trigger. I Swapped the 28 Nosler I built for a Timney and it's amazingly nice for this rifle. I had it down to about 12oz, but I had to make sure I wasn't running the bolt too fast. It's a cheap upgrade that makes a world of difference, I think.

I was thinking about making this a switch barrel and having whichever barrel I liked better to put on a Bighorn or something that would take the Savage pre-fit. Then I'd have more trigger and stock options because right now those are pretty limited, though not nearly as bad as they were when I was building the LA.

I had the same setup to mess with a few years back.

I wanted as light as possible and with the limited aftermarket stock option for savage that limited me.

I took my 308 and built a 7WSM. Zero regret it has beat all my goals for performance. .3MOA (5shot) on a few handloads and velocity with 175g class is right at 3000fps in a 23" barrel.

It took buying a new bolt head ($75), a barrel vice ($80), I bought a new barrel nut and recoil lug (not needed but $60). I used a carbon 6 barrel chambered and threaded for small shank savage ($700) and then got the lightest stock I could find at the time which was an xlr magnesium chassis (32oz w/folder $800). Rifle ended up right at 7.5lbs or so. Would be easy to make heavier.

Many said SAUM was better because of brass, etc. I've had zero issues with getting brass. It isn't the best but works for my needs/groups. Winchester seems better. I have also been about to buy about 10 boxes of factory ammo for about $35/box so that's a bonus over the SAUM. I'm nearly positive I'm getting about 75-100fps more push too which is what I wanted.

Fwiw, I am able to load to 2.98" in my set up which does allow the wsm to be a bit longer and get more capacity. This puts my long bullets just off the lands (SAAMI chamber).

Hope that helps.

I had the same setup to mess with a few years back.

I wanted as light as possible and with the limited aftermarket stock option for savage that limited me.

I took my 308 and built a 7WSM. Zero regret it has beat all my goals for performance. .3MOA (5shot) on a few handloads and velocity with 175g class is right at 3000fps in a 23" barrel.

It took buying a new bolt head ($75), a barrel vice ($80), I bought a new barrel nut and recoil lug (not needed but $60). I used a carbon 6 barrel chambered and threaded for small shank savage ($700) and then got the lightest stock I could find at the time which was an xlr magnesium chassis (32oz w/folder $800). Rifle ended up right at 7.5lbs or so. Would be easy to make heavier.

Many said SAUM was better because of brass, etc. I've had zero issues with getting brass. It isn't the best but works for my needs/groups. Winchester seems better. I have also been about to buy about 10 boxes of factory ammo for about $35/box so that's a bonus over the SAUM. I'm nearly positive I'm getting about 75-100fps more push too which is what I wanted.

Fwiw, I am able to load to 2.98" in my set up which does allow the wsm to be a bit longer and get more capacity. This puts my long bullets just off the lands (SAAMI chamber).

Hope that helps.
That would be fun, I thought about it, was more leaning towards a 6.5 WSM if I went that route since I already have a 7mm WSM and I have this problem where I don't want another of the same caliber. I do love that caliber but I was also thinking something more wildcatty for the chambering. I was thinking about saving that build for a custom action. I like the idea, plus I think I wanted a lighter bullet weight rig, was trying to find a WSM action for doing something with. I currently don't own anything .224 cal and only one .243 cal, that's a WSSM. I think I need to fill that gap. A 25 WSM/SAUM(depending on what I can find for brass) would be kinda fun.

This stripped action has been sitting in the toolbox in my gun room for about a year or more.

That would be fun, I thought about it, was more leaning towards a 6.5 WSM if I went that route since I already have a 7mm WSM and I have this problem where I don't want another of the same caliber. I do love that caliber but I was also thinking something more wildcatty for the chambering. I was thinking about saving that build for a custom action. I like the idea, plus I think I wanted a lighter bullet weight rig, was trying to find a WSM action for doing something with. I currently don't own anything .224 cal and only one .243 cal, that's a WSSM. I think I need to fill that gap. A 25 WSM/SAUM(depending on what I can find for brass) would be kinda fun.

This stripped action has been sitting in the toolbox in my gun room for about a year or more.
The first 7SS ever built was on a Savage SA and its still shooting great! Since a 25 sounds good to you, Its really hard to beat a 25sst with head stamped ADG brass and a 135 Berger at 3200 or more.

The first 7SS ever built was on a Savage SA and its still shooting great! Since a 25 sounds good to you, Its really hard to beat a 25sst with head stamped ADG brass and a 135 Berger at 3200 or more.
That's something I was tossing around. The SS or the SST, was thinking something from 257-284, I just don't know what I want. There are too many dang good options.