New build ideas

buckbrush

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has an idea for a new build. I'd like to have a custom gun built.

It will have to be built around a McMillan A-3 Remington short action since I just acquired one in a trade. I was thinking a 22-250 ackley would be cool shooting the 75 and 80 gr A-maxes with a 1:8 twist. Another one I've thought of is a 260 ackley but there doesn't appear to be much selection for varmint bullets.

This will probably be a varmint gun more than anything. I'm open to all ideas. I'd sure love to do a big gun like a 338 RUM and try the new 250 Bergers but I am already setup for a short action build.

Thanks.

22-250 AI would be a nice rifle.

I recently shot a 6x284 and it was REALLY nice out past 800yds ! It's Dogdinger's coyote medicine, he says it is deadly on the yotes; I believe it!

A big gun / short action idea would be the 300WSM in .338, I have a friend that uses it on Elk and it is a really accurate hammer.

AJ

I would give a 6,5 x 47 lapua a thought. Bullets are too big for varmint but if you hit them, sure they will feel it. Or neck down to a 6-6,5 x 47.

6x47, or maybe a 22-6mm Remington.
I have a friend that just built a 22-6mm Remington, shooting 75gr bullets at 3600fps out of a 26" barrel.

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has an idea for a new build. I'd like to have a custom gun built.

It will have to be built around a McMillan A-3 Remington short action since I just acquired one in a trade. I was thinking a 22-250 ackley would be cool shooting the 75 and 80 gr A-maxes with a 1:8 twist. Another one I've thought of is a 260 ackley but there doesn't appear to be much selection for varmint bullets.

This will probably be a varmint gun more than anything. I'm open to all ideas. I'd sure love to do a big gun like a 338 RUM and try the new 250 Bergers but I am already setup for a short action build.

Thanks.

There are a lot of good 22 caliber rounds available and the 22-250 is a good one.

If your looking for a 22 cal to shoot the bigger bullets there are a few that would
have the case capacity for them and if your going to have it built then the bolt face
is not an issue.

I have a 223 WSSM and it has the capacity for heavy bullets ,The 224 Texas trophy hunter
Is a 6mm rem necked down to .223 and will push the 75 gr bullets to 3750 ft/sec . It would
be another good choice. Lonnie Hummel @ Hornady helped develop it and would be a good
source for loads and any other info.

The 220 swift will also handle the big bullets and is very accurate.

A lot of the NRA high power shooters are using the 223 rem and a 1 in 7 twist for the heavy
bullets with good success at 200,300,and 600yards.

Wildcats have a certain mystique about them and if that is what your into, go for it.

On any varmint rifle barrel life becomes an issue and if you can stand a velocity below 3000
ft/sec it will be greatly improved.

J R CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.