Ideas on new build, Give me your suggestions

Ksdogman

I would like to build a 6.5 of some sort that would yield 3100fps+ of the 140 berger, thinking of 6.5 wsm but don't know about the brass? Just fishing for ideas, any thoughts, comments or ideas would be greatly apprectiated!!!!

Thanks again
Ryan

I am in the process of a 6.5WSM build right now. I picked up Norma 270WSM brass to neck down in a Redding bushing die. The WSM is a "velocity at all other costs" build, the cost being very short bbl life (consumable). I've heard reports from 3100 all the way to 3400, I personally expect (with my 30"bbl) velocities a little over 264wm. Can it be pushed to 3400? That honestly scares me, I don't know that is a SAFE possibility.... but I can't say for sure. I do have some 140 Bergers to try, although I have some curiousity about their survival launching out of a 8.4twist bbl at WSM possible velocities (especially when the throat gets nasty). I have 100 of the 130grn Cutting Edge bullets I am crossing my fingers in hopes they shoot well from my platform, as I intend to go that route.

There are a couple fellas on here shooting the 264STW which should really get some consideration. The reason I didn't go that route was my infatuation with the WSM...:D

3100 is do-able from several platforms. Do you already have a short action? Are you willing to go long action?

I would like to stay short action but don't have to, just would like to try it, but have accuracy concerns with wsm? had a lot of troubles with the wssm's and don't want to repeat that.

Look into the 6.5 Sherman, really sweet shooting based of 270 win brass and runs a 140 Berger quite nice in the velocity your looking for without blowing the tube out or being finicky.

My choice would be a 6.5x284. Good capacity and therefore nice solid velocities obtainable. As with any high velocity cartridge barrel life is obviously going to suffer, but it won't be too bad if you just shoot it sensibly and don't go shooting off 10 rounds in as many seconds! There's also a good selection of brass from Hornady, Lapua and Norma. Or you can neck down .284 Winchester brass.

If you don't mind using a 28" barrel a 6.5x284, 6.5 rem mag, or 6.5-06 will get you there without case forming, if you do not mind case forming the 6.5 Sherman or the 6.5-06AI just a short necked sherman will also do great. They only other magnum case I would consider is doing a 6.5x7mm rsaum imp, other than than that the 264 wm, wsm, wby, 6.5x300wby, 6.5 ultra cat 6.5x300wm and 6.71 lazz are all the grim reaper on barrels, some do not make it through load developement, besides if you use an 8.5" twist 140 bergers will be happiest at 3125-3150.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts