Give me your expertise on my build idea

mrb1982

I want to build a 7mm/300WM. I kinda want to build something with a little heavier barrel than a sporter and a little lighter barrel than a Sendero. I am thinking 28" with a brake. I am looking for advice on barrel contour for one. And secondly, with a good custom barrel, would 1000yds be generally attainable with a little lighter barrel than a Sendero? Just kind of bouncing the idea around right now but want to here what the more experienced guys think. I think it would be a great hunting combo. A little heavier than your traditional sporter, but a little lighter than some of the heavier stuff. I currently shoot a 7RM Sendero that is pretty nice but you know how it is, always wanting a new toy. Hahaha

Interesting. Heavy sporter looks intriguing. Think a guy could shoot to 1000yds well with that contour???

Barrel contour has no effect on whether a barrel will "shoot 1000 yards".

True story. You can go 1k with your current rig as it is or with a sporter barrel.

Among other things a thicker contour will allow you to string shots with accuracy.

Barrel contour does help determine harmonics and shot sequence accuracy. Slimmer heats up fast as well as cools fast. Larger contour barrels heat up slower but take longer to cool. So as far as 1000 yards goes...no it doesn't make one difference at all for 1 shot. But 3 or 5 or more it makes a big difference. With most hunting situations three accurate shots is all that is needed. So a heavy sporter or magnum sporter contour will work great. I wish you luck on you build. Bartlien had my non standard twist and caliber ready in a month.

I guess I was always under the impression that the harmonics of a heavier barrel were better. I really don't mind the Sendero contour either but I am kinda just throwing some ides around I'm my head I guess.

That heavy sporter contour on the Bartlein chart is almost identical to a Remington factory magnum sporter barrel.

They are, but you just said just shoot 1k and no other intended purposes at 1k. A heavier gun will hold steadier, reduced vibration/harmonics, less recoil, and elevate your heart rate more after climbing a mountain :D

I am currently building something along the lines of what you may be looking for. A 300wm 24" barrel for carrying (10-11lbs) and long range plinking. I'm putting a med fluted palma on it with a game scout stock.

What is your target weight? I also think a 28" barrel is overkill esp if you plan to carry it.

I guess i don't really know what kind of weight i am looking for. I am shooting a Rem. Sendero 7RM with bipod, brake, elevated cheek piece, leupold vx-3, Talley one lice lightweight mounts, and a jewel trigger right now. Never actually weighed it I guess. I keep trying to talk myself into building a custom but this Sendero holds under half moa out to 700 so far and I just can't seem to move on from it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.