Savage SA build ideas

The first 7SS ever built was on a Savage SA and its still shooting great! Since a 25 sounds good to you, Its really hard to beat a 25sst with head stamped ADG brass and a 135 Berger at 3200 or more.
Is there anyone chambering pre-fits for the SS/SSTs?

Preferred Barrel Blanks does. I have a Savage prefit from them in 280AI that is a great shooter. When I got it, the Peterson brass necks were thicker than the reamer they used. I sent it back with a couple of dummy rounds and they had it back to me in a week.

My next project is going to be a 338 Sherman and I plan to get that barrel from them.

What did you use for a stock? I had originally intended on going with the Bell and Carlson with the vertical grip and adjustable cheek piece but have recently been considering H-S Precision and Manners as well.

I used the factory tupperware stocks that I milled a slot the length of the fore end and epoxied a piece of aluminum arrow in to stiffen them. The arrow and epoxy extend under the recoil lug and close to the front action screw, I tried a carbon arrow on one several years ago and it still had plenty of flex. With the aluminum arrow these are pretty stiff.

Both are hunting rifles and the factory stock helps keep the weight down.

IMG_5308.jpg

22 BR or 22-250 fast twist would be fun!
What are the speeds like in the BR? I'd like to shoot something like 70gr+ if I went with a 224 cal. 22-250 brass is pretty easy to come by. I'd like to improve a 22-250 though because I just hate trimming the brass EVERY TIME.

What are the speeds like in the BR? I'd like to shoot something like 70gr+ if I went with a 224 cal. 22-250 brass is pretty easy to come by. I'd like to improve a 22-250 though because I just hate trimming the brass EVERY TIME.
Not sure….I would guess 3400 based on Nosler's data? but it only shows 55's at 3700.

So, not sure if this should go in gunsmithing or not, I think this is a good place for it.

I have a Savage short action that I got cheap, it's a newer round receiver with AccuTrigger(which will get replaced). This action has a .308 bolt face.

I'm not sure what to turn it into, it's not suited for a light rifle build, I'll do that later on a Ti action, so I'm thinking a heavier target/match/varmint type of rig. I was originally thinking I'd do something like a 6XC or 6SLR. I'm open to a 6.5/264 something or other too. Lately, since I've recently acquired a 6.5 Creedmoor I was thinking a 22-250AI with a 1:7 or something .224 caliber with a fast twist. I'm really open to just about anything. I'm pretty sure I already know everything I want to put on this thing besides the chambering and barrel, I'd like a pre-fit for simplicity sakes. High BC and lighter weight bullets is what I want (sub ~140gr or so), I don't think I'd want to go bigger than 6.5/264.

I have been considering doing something faster too, like changing the bolt face and going with a WSM/SAUM face, maybe something like a 7mm WSM/SAUM or even the 6.5 variant. Obviously over the 140gr bullets, but if I'm not going to a magnum I'd like to stay lighter.

I just need some help deciding on where to take this thing in the direction I really want. A switch barrel 22-250AI/6XC or 243AI(or something) is an idea I had but I don't know how much I want to dump into a Savage action. The switch barrel might be something I save for a later build with a custom action.

Help me decide what to do, what chambering I should make this.
Definitely 300 Savage.

You could go with a 22 creedmoor you can fireform 22-250 brass into 22 creedmoor I am running 85.5 gr Bergers 3260fps out of a Xcaliber barrel I just shot a 2" 3 shot group today at 750yds. Alpha munitions and Peterson make good 22 creedmoor brass

Sounds like you know your way area press.
If so… I would build my whole rifle around one case.

The SAUM case gases already been mentioned.
There are just better designs on that case. The Sherman line can take you from 6mm to .338 on the short action, with the same bolt head.

PTG is shipping out(right now) a few short and long bolt heads for my Savage actions. I live the poor man's switch barrel thing that Savage is capable of, but have learned they are best kept in the same "bolt head" family.

If you choose the Sherman line or SAAMI, just keep the head chambers the same, this will soon get boring and you will spread your wings and maybe upgrade to a Zermatt/Bighorn, I'm great full for the learning curve Savage actions provided me to learn.

BTW
I now own three X-Caliber barrels, they are all tack drivers, one 6r and two 5r , all are fast mv barrels

I'd vote for a 22 CM or 25 CM. I built a 22 CM a couple years ago on my Nucleus action, and planning on doing a 25 CM on the new Archimedes action that should be arriving soon.
I neck down 6mm CM brass for my 22 CM. I've never been able to get the same performance out of Alpha or Petterson brass. I'll just neck down 6.5 CM brass for the 25 CM, since I have a boat load of 6.5 brass.

I used the factory tupperware stocks that I milled a slot the length of the fore end and epoxied a piece of aluminum arrow in to stiffen them. The arrow and epoxy extend under the recoil lug and close to the front action screw, I tried a carbon arrow on one several years ago and it still had plenty of flex. With the aluminum arrow these are pretty stiff.

Both are hunting rifles and the factory stock helps keep the weight down.

View attachment 338681
I have heard of this a few times now, do you think there would be any advantage to installing an arrow on each side of the stock and or filling the arrow(s) with epoxy
Hope this doesn't detract from the thread