Savage SA build ideas

I have heard of this a few times now, do you think there would be any advantage to installing an arrow on each side of the stock and or filling the arrow(s) with epoxy
Hope this doesn't detract from the thread

Not to hijack the thread, but do you have photos of how you placed the arrows? Might be my next project.

PM's sent.

Okay, so let's say it's going to be a 22 cal. 22-250AI or 22 Creedmoor(I'm liking the simplicity of the creed), they're pretty close to one another. Should I be going 1:8 or 1:7. With those velocities would I have issue shooting the 80gr VLD or the 85.5gr Hybrid? Should I go with 1:8 or would I be remiss if I didn't get the 1:7? What powders are people using. Thinking of getting the Peterson 22 Creed SRP brass.

Last edited:
Oh, I consider light sub-6lbs, my goals for a light rifle is to try and build one sub-5lbs. I have plenty of 6.5lb rifles so I want to make this heavy, which I don't really have. A tank that won't move if I got jerky.
< 5lbs? Oof. Impressive.

Okay, so let's say it's going to be a 22 cal. 22-250AI or 22 Creedmoor(I'm liking the simplicity of the creed), they're pretty close to one another. Should I be going 1:8 or 1:7. With those velocities would I have issue shooting the 80gr VLD or the 85.5gr Hybrid? Should I go with 1:8 or would I be remiss if I didn't get the 1:7? What powders are people using. Thinking of getting the Peterson 22 Creed SRP brass.
I shoot 1-7 criterion with 90 vld's and 6.5 staball in my 22creed with an ATS tuner at 3150fps and about a dime size 10shot groups at 200. Put 5 into a .308 size hole once but pretty sure it was luck. Shoots to 1000 but I'd say 800 is it's coyote zone for pelts. Definitely had some 6mm guys raising they're eyebrows at the last match. Might have to switch to Hornady for availability and the 7 might be tough on the jackets but maybe Berger will come available before it comes to that. Been using ADG brass but just bought 100 alpha brass. Absolutely no complaints with the ADG brass.

I shoot 1-7 criterion with 90 vld's and 6.5 staball in my 22creed with an ATS tuner at 3150fps and about a dime size 10shot groups at 200. Put 5 into a .308 size hole once but pretty sure it was luck. Shoots to 1000 but I'd say 800 is it's coyote zone for pelts. Definitely had some 6mm guys raising they're eyebrows at the last match. Might have to switch to Hornady for availability and the 7 might be tough on the jackets but maybe Berger will come available before it comes to that. Been using ADG brass but just bought 100 alpha brass. Absolutely no complaints with the ADG brass.
Is the ADG and Alpha brass 22 Creed or is it 6mm/6.5mm that you're necking down? I've never been a huge fan of necking down, I know it's feasible but I'd rather skip the steps of NEEDING to neck-turn if at all possible, I understand there may be a time and place for it.

My concern, not sure if I want to shoot the 90s, I could and it could be an option but I was thinking the <90 and >=70gr range for this so the 70s to the 80s. I was just thinking with the 1:7 at 3200+ fps I might start ripping jackets and I'd like to not come to that problem.

Neither are necked down. Alpha ocd brass is supposed to be supernatural. The 7 will allow you to shoot the longer solids which I may be switching to if the bergers cause too much damage. Most if not all the coyote shots will be 600+ as my buddy just drives around and spots them and they're not afraid at those distances so he says. According to bugholes, the 8 twist will stabilize the longer bergers just fine but I can say for fact that the twist rate must be followed with the solids.

My choice for a build on a Savage SA would be 243 in a 1:8 twist 5 grove barrel. Akley Imp it and you've eliminated brass trimming and gain 100-150fps. EABCO accuracy barrel @ A.E. Brown are very good barrels at a very good price. All the creedmoors and other attempts to put the trusted old 243 on the bench have failed. I purchased a 6 CM due to factory 1:7.5 twist and it shoots good, but I still like the old 243 Win!

I have heard of this a few times now, do you think there would be any advantage to installing an arrow on each side of the stock and or filling the arrow(s) with epoxy
Hope this doesn't detract from the thread
Your supposed to put the arrow inside the savage factory stock

The 243AI was one of my original thoughts but I wasn't too sure how the mags would do with a long COAL shooting the 105gr+ VLDs. That's sort of why I was thinking of something like a 6XC. They're pretty close.

Your supposed to put the arrow inside the savage factory stock
No kidding 😱
I was referring to left and right if the channel
Inside the stock.
When I was dremmeling on my Savage Tupperware stock years ago I never thought about an arrow. A full metal jacket would would stiffin things up

This year I've undertaken two new "Toys". Both are on Rem 700 SA Varmint actions. The first is an Ackley .243 Win with a 35 degree shoulder moved slightly forward to neck joint, and 85gn PSPBT bullets. Superb shooter, 3365fps, .305moa, etc. I bought 500 new brass cases for it. Cleanly took two whitetail deer this fall, at 85 and 160 yds with it. Then, ... my newest toy is a .223 using same necked-down .243 Ackley brass, 69gn bullets, 7.5 twist 24in barrel, 3540fps, .320moa, etc. Just finished this one two weeks ago. Lots of fun. They look almost identical! They'll soon be gifts for my grandkids! I'm loving teaching them to shoot well!

This year I've undertaken two new "Toys". Both are on Rem 700 SA Varmint actions. The first is an Ackley .243 Win with a 35 degree shoulder moved slightly forward to neck joint, and 85gn PSPBT bullets. Superb shooter, 3365fps, .305moa, etc. I bought 500 new brass cases for it. Cleanly took two whitetail deer this fall, at 85 and 160 yds with it. Then, ... my newest toy is a .223 using same necked-down .243 Ackley brass, 69gn bullets, 7.5 twist 24in barrel, 3540fps, .320moa, etc. Just finished this one two weeks ago. Lots of fun. They look almost identical! They'll soon be gifts for my grandkids! I'm loving teaching them to shoot well!
They sound pretty awesome! I hope you're teaching them to reload too, with rifles like those they're going to need to!