Savage SA build ideas

I've been playing with a Savage model 11 243 I picked up early last year and have really started to enjoy shooting it. I've had a lot of customs but they were more back in the day when Mauser actions were the common action to use. 222, 22-250, 22-250AI, 308 and 30-06 have been the norm with the smaller calibers numbering many over the years. Now I also really tend to like 788 Rem and 722's a lot as well as they just plain shoot.

I now have a 20"308 barrel and a 22" 243 barrel I set back and punched out to 243AI. The calibers I will set up for this are probably right in line with what you are thinking. 6mm ARC (needs a grendel bolt head), 22-250AI, 243AI, 308. The Ackleys are a great round if you are looking for a cartridge that rarely needs trimmed and gives you a slight gain in velocity without running up against all kinds of pressure issues and fast barrel erosion. The other great thing is the factory variation of these rounds just plain shoot in the Ackley chamber if the barrel has been headspaced properly. The other reason for modifying or going to the Ackley is something maybe was mentioned but like myself, I already have anywhere from 500 to 2000 cases for each of these calibers and many reloads to use fireforming minus the 6ARC so that is a big savings.

If I was to build a gun for competition to shoot thousands of rounds then a custom action would no doubt be the way to go. I have probably shot 800rds over the last year through my action in 243, 243AI and 308 and have done quite a bit of work to it myself. I built a cherry bench stock, installed an Elftman trigger, built an adjustable comb and about a week ago decided to tackle the bolt lift which in my eyes is the worst thing on the Savages and has caused me to get rid of a couple. The bolt is now super slick and takes less than 6lbs to lift with a round in it and uncocked, way less than before so now just have to see how it is after being fired.

This is getting a little long but it is covering a lot of what you are looking at. As soon as the weather gets a little nicer I will do a couple carbon fiber wood laminate stocks in Sporter variation and maybe run 2 model 11 actions for hunting and bench. I am including a couple pictures so you can see the different cartridges and how they compare on length as well as room in the magazine which will help you with some of your bullet choice questions. The round in the mag is a 22-250AI with a 88gr ELD Match bullet seated out to where the start of the boatail is even with the base of the neck. There is about .24" left in the mag for even longer bullets but you would need to have your barrels throated longer or have a throat reamer to do it yourself.

I hope this helps and didn't get to boring. There are so many good rounds out there with very little difference in actual performance. If you can do the work yourself a Savage can be a very cheap gun to build, but I'm no expert. I just passed up a Stevens 200 LA in 270 for $200, stupid but I'm really only into SA right now. In real money I think I have in my rifle, $300 as a 243, $125 For the trigger on sale, $75 For the 243AI Reamer with 500 fire formed cases to that reamer and a set of Redding comp dies and about $40 in cherry wood, aluminum for pillars and devcon for bedding. Deals can be had if you watch for them. I cant buy a custom action for my total cost.
20220208_220439.jpg
20220208_220439.jpg
20220208_220555~2.jpg
20211121_191309.jpg

So, not sure if this should go in gunsmithing or not, I think this is a good place for it.

I have a Savage short action that I got cheap, it's a newer round receiver with AccuTrigger(which will get replaced). This action has a .308 bolt face.

I'm not sure what to turn it into, it's not suited for a light rifle build, I'll do that later on a Ti action, so I'm thinking a heavier target/match/varmint type of rig. I was originally thinking I'd do something like a 6XC or 6SLR. I'm open to a 6.5/264 something or other too. Lately, since I've recently acquired a 6.5 Creedmoor I was thinking a 22-250AI with a 1:7 or something .224 caliber with a fast twist. I'm really open to just about anything. I'm pretty sure I already know everything I want to put on this thing besides the chambering and barrel, I'd like a pre-fit for simplicity sakes. High BC and lighter weight bullets is what I want (sub ~140gr or so), I don't think I'd want to go bigger than 6.5/264.

I have been considering doing something faster too, like changing the bolt face and going with a WSM/SAUM face, maybe something like a 7mm WSM/SAUM or even the 6.5 variant. Obviously over the 140gr bullets, but if I'm not going to a magnum I'd like to stay lighter.

I just need some help deciding on where to take this thing in the direction I really want. A switch barrel 22-250AI/6XC or 243AI(or something) is an idea I had but I don't know how much I want to dump into a Savage action. The switch barrel might be something I save for a later build with a custom action.

Help me decide what to do, what chambering I should make this.
If you're looking at a heavy barrel 22-250 ai I strongly recommend building a 22 creedmoor instead; all the velocity, increased powder capacity, none of the fireforming. Brass can be sourced with proper head stamp or just take 6 creed and neck it down, no neck turning, no mess, just neck and load.
Drop a 1-8 tw barrel on it, run ai mags, and build a load the rifle likes. Mine prefers the 73 gr eld x at around 3450 your mileage may vary. this is mine here. I took a factory 1:9 tw 223 barrel, rechambered it to 22 creed, threw it in a mdt chassis, turned down the trigger weight and was off to the races. first 5 shot group measured .53 inches at 100 yards. My next barrel will be an 8 twist just so I can run some of the heavier bullets, the 9 twist stops stabilizing right after the 80.5 gr berger.

Attachments

• 20220119_132750.jpg
    20220119_132750.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
The unfortunate thing about that is that it's a bottom bolt release and I'm not the biggest fan of chassis, especially not here in Montana, I'd rather have a fiberglass or carbon fiber stock. Metal gets really cold.
the xrs is a hybrid stock/chassis, sort of a skin over an aluminum skeleton. it gets damned cold in E washington too so a straight metal chassis was sort of out for me as well. it also works with the bottom bolt release so no issue there. the adjustability is massive on the xrs, cant reccomend highly enough

Okay, so let's say it's going to be a 22 cal. 22-250AI or 22 Creedmoor(I'm liking the simplicity of the creed), they're pretty close to one another. Should I be going 1:8 or 1:7. With those velocities would I have issue shooting the 80gr VLD or the 85.5gr Hybrid? Should I go with 1:8 or would I be remiss if I didn't get the 1:7? What powders are people using. Thinking of getting the Peterson 22 Creed SRP brass.
id stick with the 1:8 unless your dead set on running the 90 gr class bullets, anything lighter you have to download the cartridge or the jackets tend to come apart just past the muzzle. an 8 will stabilize the bullets in the 80 gr class without issue, even the 9 twist im running now will stabilize all the way to the 80.5 gr.

Also as far as necking down creed brass i dont have to neck turn 6 creed.

Okay, so let's say it's going to be a 22 cal. 22-250AI or 22 Creedmoor(I'm liking the simplicity of the creed), they're pretty close to one another. Should I be going 1:8 or 1:7. With those velocities would I have issue shooting the 80gr VLD or the 85.5gr Hybrid? Should I go with 1:8 or would I be remiss if I didn't get the 1:7? What powders are people using. Thinking of getting the Peterson 22 Creed SRP brass.
I have friends who were building 8tw 22-243 AI with shooting 75-80 pills for coyote hunting. They have transitioned these during setback or in new builds to 8tw 22 CM. Quickload shows me a 250 AI and 22 CM are fairly close ballistically.

I have my Savage firing pins turned and bolt heads bushed to run small primer/small flash hole in most of the wildcats I put together. I built an 8tw CM with intent of running 75's but it'll shoot well from 53 V-Max's to 88 ELD-M's. I have found many powders that perform well with this cartridge. I originally necked down 6.5 Lapua brass and did not need to turn brass but do a skim pass anyway. The same with 50 pieces of 6.5 Peterson SRP I picked up for comparison.

Dale

So, not sure if this should go in gunsmithing or not, I think this is a good place for it.

I have a Savage short action that I got cheap, it's a newer round receiver with AccuTrigger(which will get replaced). This action has a .308 bolt face.

I'm not sure what to turn it into, it's not suited for a light rifle build, I'll do that later on a Ti action, so I'm thinking a heavier target/match/varmint type of rig. I was originally thinking I'd do something like a 6XC or 6SLR. I'm open to a 6.5/264 something or other too. Lately, since I've recently acquired a 6.5 Creedmoor I was thinking a 22-250AI with a 1:7 or something .224 caliber with a fast twist. I'm really open to just about anything. I'm pretty sure I already know everything I want to put on this thing besides the chambering and barrel, I'd like a pre-fit for simplicity sakes. High BC and lighter weight bullets is what I want (sub ~140gr or so), I don't think I'd want to go bigger than 6.5/264.

I have been considering doing something faster too, like changing the bolt face and going with a WSM/SAUM face, maybe something like a 7mm WSM/SAUM or even the 6.5 variant. Obviously over the 140gr bullets, but if I'm not going to a magnum I'd like to stay lighter.

I just need some help deciding on where to take this thing in the direction I really want. A switch barrel 22-250AI/6XC or 243AI(or something) is an idea I had but I don't know how much I want to dump into a Savage action. The switch barrel might be something I save for a later build with a custom action.

Help me decide what to do, what chambering I should make this.
As other have already said, much depends on your intent. Having said that, and for what it's worth, a friend who made me aware of this site when he bought the components/tooling necessary to chamber himself a 6.5 SST from @elkaholic, came across a post on another forum for a 6.5-284 Norma package for a small shank with an 8tw bbl with 92 rounds down it. He ordered up a PVA brake and when the package arrived he threaded the muzzle for me.

I spun this on an ARC Nucleus action, fit with a Bix and Andy Tac Sport Pro and dropped this in an MPA BA Lite. This was put together far shooting distance and, yes, I have to pull the bolt on longer COAL rounds if I don't send them. This is the first cartridge that a medium or LA would be preferred but I don't mind with how I use it.

Dale

.22-250 AI, I had one and still have one of the barrels, it was a 26" 1-7 twist one of the nicer things about the .22-250 AI is that you can pick up a box of .22-250 Remington, fire them in the AI chamber with good results, plus you've pretty much fire formed your brass in most cases. I think today I'd go with the 1-8 twist... unless I really wanted to push the heavy longer .22 bullets. I built it for a LR match rifle and it did a respectable job. Cheers

.22-250 AI, I had one and still have one of the barrels, it was a 26" 1-7 twist one of the nicer things about the .22-250 AI is that you can pick up a box of .22-250 Remington, fire them in the AI chamber with good results, plus you've pretty much fire formed your brass in most cases. I think today I'd go with the 1-8 twist... unless I really wanted to push the heavy longer .22 bullets. I built it for a LR match rifle and it did a respectable job. Cheers
That's sort of what I was thinking as I do have a lot of 22-250 brass already but none of it is quality brass. So I was thinking for a project like this I'd want to buy at least a couple of hundred pieces anyway. So taking that into consideration the 22 Creedmoor seems a little bit easier. Especially with them being almost identical.

I have a 6.5 WSM built on a long action Savage and it it probably the most accurate rifle I have. Thats my vote!

I have a 6.5 WSM built on a long action Savage and it it probably the most accurate rifle I have. Thats my vote!
If this was a LA, I also want something with a little less horsepower than that for this one. That's why I was thinking I'd keep the 308 bolt face. I'm always looking for cheap savages to build on though. I was thinking I'd like a 6.5 WSM though. Just not this one.

That's sort of what I was thinking as I do have a lot of 22-250 brass already but none of it is quality brass. So I was thinking for a project like this I'd want to buy at least a couple of hundred pieces anyway. So taking that into consideration the 22 Creedmoor seems a little bit easier. Especially with them being almost identical.
I can understand your thinking, but.. in the end, I think I'd op for the .22-250 AI just my 0.2 Cheers good luck.

I can understand your thinking, but.. in the end, I think I'd op for the .22-250 AI just my 0.2 Cheers good luck.
What would the benefits be of shooting the 22-250AI over the 22 Creed? Aside from the fact that you can shoot factory ammo in it? I don't think I'd ever do that no matter the cartridge. I'm just curious about your thoughts as to why the 22-250AI instead as they are **** near identical once fire-formed.

What would the benefits be of shooting the 22-250AI over the 22 Creed? Aside from the fact that you can shoot factory ammo in it? I don't think I'd ever do that no matter the cartridge. I'm just curious about your thoughts as to why the 22-250AI instead as they are **** near identical once fire-formed.
I have not had a 22 CM but did have a 6.5CM. It was a very good round but built it as a chassis rifle and someone else liked it better than I did. I have had many 22-250's over the last 38 years and my first AI 25 years ago. I like Ackley's because you rarely have to trim brass, you pick up a little speed but that is just a bonus, factory ammo is usually very accurate to fire form so you can adjust POI and just use it to hunt or shoot with. one of the other big issues right now is you can always find 22-250 factory ammo if you need to fire form and don't have brass but in my area I don't see much 22CM ammo. 22CM may be a great round but finding ammo is pretty important. I'm kind of old school, have tons of 22-250 brass and dies for both so don't need a new cartridge that does the same thing as one of my favorites.

Call it, its track record... which I think the .22 CM is still working on. With that said; and as you stated, you could go either way so it sounds to me like it's whatever in the end makes you smile. Cheers

Recent Posts