savage 7mm stw ?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by new shooter, Dec 19, 2009.

1. new shooter

new shooter Well-Known Member

Does anybody know can you get a savage in eather a 284 or a 7mm stw or a 338 ulatramag with accutrigger and accustock ?

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

No, you would have to built it or find one built. the 7mm mag and 338 win is it. Savage could work on some of there chamberings, I would also like to see a 338 RUM. They are bringing the 338LM but on a crappy stock, IMHO :D
    I have heard they have a real good custom shop and the prices are good, they may be able to help.

3. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Not from the factory, but you can buy all three of those barrels as pre-fits from several barrel makers.

I have a two of the three you are asking about.

4. new shooter

Which barrel makers and are you happy with them?

5. new shooter

I could get a 700 remingtion 338 aultramag $900.00 but then you still have to bead the stock plus triger work.

6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let bedding get in the way of getting a rifle, it is quite easy and a smith won't honk you to bad for tuning the trigger.
    Or find a Savage chambered in a 300RUM, usually around 350 dollars around here, roll on a Mcgowen or Shilen pre-fit barrel for $300, sell the OEM barrel and drop it all in a good stock for maybe another 300 dollars. You'd be in it around the same as Rem but have a semi custom elk pounder!
    You can find a Rem 700 sps for 550-600 dollars, jerk the stock and set it in a better stock for a few hundred. I'm probly going to set up a guy at work with this exact rig, Savages are just to ugly for him :rolleyes: Many ways to skin a cat.:D

7. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Well I guess I only have one of them. The 284. It's actually a Remington barrel that's been re-threaded for a Savage. It shoots fine, right around an inch.

I also have a 338 Edge on the way from McGowan. Should be here before Santa.

I have a 300WSM in a Hart and Krieger.

A 8" twist 7mmWSM from Shilen.

22-250AI Adams and Bennet.

A 7mm and 308 barrels from Douglas that I haven't chambered yet.

A 6mm fluted and ported Pacnor that's been shot out on a Remington that will soon be a Savage.

The only bad barrel I've had so far is a Savage factory sporter 308 that I just couldn't get to shoot. It's about the only Savage 308 barrel that I've ever heard of that wouldn't shoot.