7mm stw

How is the 7mmSTW better than the 28 Nosler? Seriously, just trying to learn. With the same twist barrel, they seem to be twins.

How is the 7mmSTW better than the 28 Nosler? Seriously, just trying to learn. With the same twist barrel, they seem to be twins.
I don't believe anyone said the STW was better. Just try to learn what? I'm well aware of their identical performance. The 28 nosler wasn't even a idea when I re- barreled my action so. How ever since brass is beginning to be more rare. I'd probably chamber in 28 nosler or a PRC.

I never said better but they are very close to each other if not the same really. At some point I'm either going to have to do a new barrel and or maybe re chamber it. The STW brass is just a PITA to find anymore unless Nosler or some other company drops a batch soon. It can be done other ways but at the end of the day you better be ballin 🤑 if you plan on shooting a STW because they are not cheap to shoot as I'm learning the hard way. I do like that 28 Nosler too it's a bad MOFO.
I don't believe anyone said the STW was better. Just try to learn what? I'm well aware of their identical performance. The 28 nosler wasn't even a idea when I re- barreled my action so. How ever since brass is beginning to be more rare. I'd probably chamber in 28 nosler or a PRC.

I think PRC will be the way to go because there is such a hard push on it. The brass and ammo will be good for some time I think and honestly it kills deer and elk just dandy.

Just noted this original post about 7STW is from 2010. No wonder no one mentioned the 28 Nos when the OP asked "Is it the best 7mm out there."

I had a Remington sender in 7mm STW. The 26 inch factory barrel went 600 rds, was very accurate, (.3 inch groups at 200). I killed quite a few deer out to 1500 yards witb it. I put a new 28in barrel on it, and with the 162g national match Hornady aluminum tips, I was still over 1200 foot lbs at a mile.

Just so no one is mislead, there is no 7mm or even 30 Cal hunting rifle that would be anywhere close to 1200 ft lbs at a mile!

I run a 250 A-Tip out of a 300 win mag, 30 inch 1-8 twist barrel at 2925 fps.

At my elevation of 5K+, 60 deg F/40%RH, still delivers 1188 ft lbs at 1600 yards and drop to 1082 at 1760 yards.

Not quite the 1200 mentioned but darn close.

I'm sure a 300 Norma and the bigger 30 cals would crush 1200 + well over a mile.

I run a 250 A-Tip out of a 300 win mag, 30 inch 1-8 twist barrel at 2925 fps.

At my elevation of 5K+, 60 deg F/40%RH, still delivers 1188 ft lbs at 1600 yards and drop to 1082 at 1760 yards.

Not quite the 1200 mentioned but darn close.

I'm sure a 300 Norma and the bigger 30 cals would crush 1200 + well over a mile.

Yes... closer than I would have thought.

But a 30" barrel with a 250 grain A-Tip (where are you even finding those?) doesn't sound like an ideal hunting rifle. It may be that, at your altitude, with your gun, all the conditions are perfect to maximize the down-range energy of a souped up 30 cal magnum.

However, in regards to the post I was commenting on, there is no 7mm that is going to be over 1200 ft lbs at a mile (1760 yds) under anything close to normal circumstances. Most hunting rifles shooting a 162 grain bullet are going to be in the 400-700 ft lbs range at that distance, and I feel that's pretty generous.

Almost stayed out of this 14yoa thread. 😂 😂 😂 I own both and there is not a lick bit of difference in the two. Oh wait...no evil, terrible, jam inducing, ugly, worthless, old, waste of brass, never should have belt on the STW. Reality is Layne hit it out of the park like so many things STW way before its time, and hard to get stamped brass and guns for it. 28 Nosler.....available much more readily today.

Just noted this original post about 7STW is from 2010. No wonder no one mentioned the 28 Nos when the OP asked "Is it the best 7mm out there."
😂 😂 😂 😂 I can regularly fall for this. Yet I still dogpiled on this one....they should have slapped him with the 7 RUM back in the day.

Yes... closer than I would have thought.

But a 30" barrel with a 250 grain A-Tip (where are you even finding those?) doesn't sound like an ideal hunting rifle. It may be that, at your altitude, with your gun, all the conditions are perfect to maximize the down-range energy of a souped up 30 cal magnum.

However, in regards to the post I was commenting on, there is no 7mm that is going to be over 1200 ft lbs at a mile (1760 yds) under anything close to normal circumstances. Most hunting rifles shooting a 162 grain bullet are going to be in the 400-700 ft lbs range at that distance, and I feel that's pretty generous.
Oh now, if it was a 7stwneedmore it could take down mastodons on the moon 😂

Recent Posts