7mm stw

It's funny, I was thinking if I bought a 7mm stw and when the barrel burned out then I'd rebarrel to a 2 a 338 EDGE. I now think that the 7mm STW will do me for how I want to hunt, which is under 1000 yards. But I've heard it's decent on targets out to 1000 yards. I think I will keep the 7mm STW as a primary intermediate-long range favorite and if I really want to go longer have a 338 custom Lapua. Eric on this site said he sometimes gets up to 23 reloads with Lapua brass on his 338 Lapua. So the Lapua looks less expensive than other 338 variations to me. I can see why it is becoming more popular.

I appreciate everyone chiming in. Another question, I see a Rem 700 from rem in the 1 year they made these guns 7mm stw. it has a detachable mag which I'm attracted too... Might it be a better buy than the Sako? I kinda think it is and not metric threaded? Anyone own one or have an opinion. Ii have about 5 days to decide, but I'm leaning heavily toward the rem versus sako.

Yes the amount or reloads per case with the Lapua is very impressive. I had gave some thought to sending my gun off to Kirby and having a 338 edge made out of her, but after thinking about it I am fairly confident i will look at the 7mm stw, on one of the balistic charts I checked out, the stw with a 140gr bullet was still pushing just over 2500fps at 500 yards. The BC on the 7mm are impressive. I keep saying if I ever win the lottery I will be on the most watched FBI list for all the guns I would own.

I'm probably on that list now with all the stuff I got. The 7mm STW is a very serious long range cartridge and it does not require a brake. It is also very popular but on here seems to get overlooked.

The more I read about the 7mm stw and the 7mm bullets out there and the fact that out to even close to 1000 yards you can take a whitetail down and the cartridge in a pinch cab be bought at a gun shop is pretty amazing. I also think that 700 yards is all I'll probably ever try to take a whitetail, so realistically this is about as good as I need. But targets and varmints out to 1000 yards it still performs. It sounds like it's easy to practice long range accuracy too, without breaking you sholder. I have a 7mm wsm but it's set up for targets, the 7mm stw I'm looking at is a hunting rifle weighing about 8 lbs., it's a no brainer...

It sounds like you are pretty used to the kick in these guns. I may find the same. Do you think the brake alters accuracy?

NO! I have a brake on my 7mm Ultra Mag and it's a sporter. Have shot 0.5 to 0.7 MOA 3-shot groups at 100 yards frequently. This with cheapo bullets I know the gun will do better when I try swift or berger...

I'm not sure where the info came from that 7stw is faster and more capable than 7mm Ultra Mag. In equal-length barrels I'd have to hear why...

7stw is also a bit more hassle to reload since it has a belted-case, something to think about. Brass life may be better without the belt not sure...

If the barrel ever goes on my 7ultra, it may turn into a fast-twist 300ultra, optimized for 210-grain VLD's and with a heavier (heavier than sporter) barrel...

I have/ have had most all of the big guys. 7rem mag, 7stw, 300win, 300rum, 30-378, 338-378, 338-378imp, 338-408cheytac imp. If you are staying under 1000yrds the stw is probablly my favorite. good bc's easy to reload for and just a nice little case all the way around. Dont get me wrong i loved my ultra and am building an edge as we speak but I still have doubts that I will like it more than the stw. Have used mine out to 1257yrds with excellent results. I am building an edge to play at the 1500+ yard mark with a pack around hunting rifle. Dont get me wrong the 338-408 is a speed demon and alot of fun but i love to play and experiment hence the 338 edge.

oh I am running 162 amaxes out of mine

I appreciate the encouragement, I think Rem brought the 7mm ultra because they wanted to expand that line with their name on it? The 7mm stw I've read that you can neck down 8mm brass too, giving me more reloading options. This will be an excellent hunting gun and fit right in with my 7mm wsm that I use for target shooting. If you have any load favorites using various bullets for hunting or targets feel free to share.

Thanks again to all that write.

Go USA-NRA.

Ed

I wouldn't leave my 7 STW behind for nothing. I have taken Elk, Deer, Wild hogs way out there with it. My barrel is the key its 28" just the right length, and I shoot the 180 Bergers. Cant be beat!

I see a very sweet sendero 7MM STW on gunbroker
I guess until I finally own one I will always be kicking myself in the hind end. The 7MM STW will will perform great from 1000 to 1600.
I see on one chart that at 500 yards the energy with a 160 BTSP is pushing 2202 energy and the 338 Lapua at 500 is pushing a 250gr bullet with 2932 in energy. But the suprising thing was FPS, at 500 yards with a 140gr bullet out of the 7MM STW is pushing 2550fps and the Lapua with a 250gr bullet is pushing 2299fps.
But then I would like to have a couple of Kirby's guns, a few 375 snipetac's, maybe a dozen 408 snipetac's The 416 barret would make a nice squirel gun. There are too many choices, its like the ford vs chevy vs gmc vs dodge vs toyota vs nissan vs .

Arguably the optimum all around 7mm. More efficient than the 7RUM. Faster than the great 7mm Rem. Mag.

As Sambo wrote, the 7STW+180gr Berger VLD+Retumbo is probably an unbeatable combo for North Amercan game (except the big bears), and African plains game.

Can you message me on this 7mm STW? I'm needing some guidance on this bad boy. Thanks man