7mm stw

You'll find lots of 7STW owners here, myself included. It will nearly equal the 7mm Ultramag with about 10 grains less powder. It really shines in barrels at least 26" up to 30". It would be hard to beat a 180 gr VLD bullet at 3000-3100 fps. High ballistic coefficient to resist wind drift and lots of retained energy at 1000 yards.

Arguably the optimum all around 7mm. More efficient than the 7RUM. Faster than the great 7mm Rem. Mag.

As Sambo wrote, the 7STW+180gr Berger VLD+Retumbo is probably an unbeatable combo for North Amercan game (except the big bears), and African plains game.

Don't let the loads and ballistics that are now published fool you.It,like the 7mag,has been severely loaded down.I can get 3450fps out of my 150gr loads and I've not chronyed my 160's yet,but I bet it's getting better than 3250fps.The only thing that changed was the Ultra Mags came out and in order to make them look better,they loaded down the competition.

actually the 7mm Allen Mag is the best 7mm out there however as far as factory chambering i would agree that the STW is superior to the rest of the 7mms. My brother got a 7mm Ultra Mag thinking he was going to out shoot my STW and he cant do it. The UM i would say is next on the list. As far as bullets Berger makes a 168grain and a 180grain. If you have enough twist go with the 180s but the 168s do very well at long range as well. Killed a doe last year with my STW at 580yds with the Berger 168 grain bullet. She did a flip and then tried to run and only made it 10 yards. Pencil entrance, tennis ball exit.

In my opinion it is the best 7mm cartridge with good barrel life. Any bigger and barrels don't last long. I have six of them. It is extremely accurate and can push heavy, high BC bullets 200 fps faster than the 7mm rem mag. It can be shot without a brake however is best with one. Mine will push the 162 Amax over 3300 fps and the 175 SGK 3200 fps. I have most popular 7mm's and several wildcats. The 7mm STW is the best at the top of the list. Cheap, easy to get brass.

I like what I'm hearing, it sounds like you have to have a 26" or longer barrel right. How would you compare it with the 7wsm? What does the kick feel like with say a 9lb rifle without scope or brake? With brake 26" barrel.

thanks

I'd compare the recoil to a 300 Win Mag.In fact,I'm using the same amount of the same powder when I load 140-150gr bullets out of the 7STW that I load for the 300Win Mag with 165gr bullets.The same amount and kind when I load 160gr in the 7STW as I do when I load 180gr bullets in the 300 Win Mag.My 7STW is a Remington Sendero and my 300 Win. Mag is in a Remington CDL.I feel a little more recoil with the lighter rifle,but neither one has a brake and I don't plan on putting one on them either.

Yes a 26+ barrel is where the STW really outperforms the other 7mms. Anything shorter is going to cut your velocity down. As compared to a WSM it is 100-200fps faster. I had a light 8 lb stw with a break on it and it felt like a 25-06 my wife shot it with no problem and she is a small girl (110 lbs, don't tell her I said that):D I also have one that is around 10.5 lbs scoped and it kicks pretty good but what do you expect from the best 7mm available

I have been looking at getting a 7 stw a sako 75 v from finland not jap. it has a 26in barrel.I can get it with a soso scope with kdf how would this work out? Next I'm having a hard time finding brass last I found was 40 bucks for 20

I appreciate the feedback, currently I am looking at picking up a rem 7stw or a sako-finland, whichever i gt first. The rem has a detachable mag and i kinda like that, so does the sako. the rem has a shilen match barrel so i'm hoping i get it.

everything i read about the cartridge is great.

where do you get a consistent supply of brass? do you buy 8mm?

thx

IMO you'll be happier in the long run with a baffle type muzzle brake on your 7STW. :)

Midway has Remington 7 STW brass.

Last edited: