Rifle weight

Just came back from the Rockies and hunted in the mountains 6 days
My rifle with scope is about 9 pounds and I thought it was just right for the 300wsm. But now I know why those guys put their rifles in their packs I will next time. Our need both hands empty or holding trekking poles up and down those kills not holding your rifle from falling off shoulder. I figured out pretty quick I could clip sling under collar spray and hold gun but it was not super comfortable

Thanks

Buck

My Sherpa extra tough Has a load on his back I have load too We pack one rifle when down to one tag if on hunts together Real nice when you have a Sherpa on hand

Attachments

• 6A99AD6F-1548-4AFC-A040-BF2A0C76A1C0.png
    6A99AD6F-1548-4AFC-A040-BF2A0C76A1C0.png
    510.2 KB · Views: 173
My rifles for LRH run 10.5-13.5 pounds, fully equipped. I'm generally 70:30, stationary:carry. If carry time dominates, I will keep weight closer to 10.5 pounds, which is about as light as I prefer for LRH.
I'm not really replying, just reiterating….At 10.5lbs, I know I can make good hits out to ~500.

I have an 8lb rifle. It is a 350 Legend. I'll bet it would be a real handful in 7 Rem mag, and hard to hit with over 300… but I guess I don't know for sure. Aren't light rifles wiggling all over?

My Sherpa extra tough Has a load on his back I have load too We pack one rifle when down to one tag if on hunts together Real nice when you have a Sherpa on hand

My kind of sherpa, I always like to get the young bucks to come to elk camp:)

I'm a little different than others. Based on your cartridge I would not use a brake and I would use at least a 160gr bullet. I would not want to spend anymore than 700 new for factory rifle. I want a 22" barrel and would prefer a 26". Rifle scope sling I would want it as close to 7lb I could get. I hated packing and hunting with a rig weighing even 9lb. I have been hunting for 47 years and packed 9-12lb rigs for 90 percent of it.

My heaviest rifle is an 8.5 lb 28 nosler. I live in the west and I primarily hunt mountain terrain so I won't own anything that is heavier than that. My preference is something in the 7 lb range as well. I practice shooting out to 600 yds and beyond with those light rifles and I don't find any problems hitting targets that far. (But I also rarely need to shoot beyond 4-500 yds while hunting)
A couple of lbs in my rifle makes a big difference to me when I'm packing it around for a week in rough terrain. If your rifle weighs you down, you won't hunt as hard or likely find the game you want, so I'm definitely in the light weight camp for western big game.

I am planning to get a 280 AI for larger critters than I normally hunt (whitetail) when we burn our points in a couple years. Most of my rifles are a bit on the heavy side an wondering how critical rifle weight is going to be hiking around Colorado for instance. What weight should I be focused on (without scope) or does 1 or 2 pounds not really matter at the end of the day.

I am sure hunting in forests is much different than stand hunting which is all I do today...

Just my .02 based on being there myself. Find a rifle that weighs base 5.5-7lb and plan on scope plus mounts being another 1.5-2lb. Don't worry about recoil out of 280ai as I have 2 of them and they aren't bothersome. They certainly don't kick anymore than a 30/06 or 7 mag. I've shot elk with 150 and 160 grain accubonds, partitions and Hornady interlocks and they all work fine. Even a Speer hot cor worked wonderful. My Kimber subalpine weighs 6.9 lb with a leupold 4.5-14x and warne weaver mounts and could drag that with me all day in any condition. Same could be said for my Tikka t3 Ultralite 7 mag that weighs 7.5 lb with a vortex viper 4-16x. Hope that helps! Brian

I am planning to get a 280 AI for larger critters than I normally hunt (whitetail) when we burn our points in a couple years. Most of my rifles are a bit on the heavy side an wondering how critical rifle weight is going to be hiking around Colorado for instance. What weight should I be focused on (without scope) or does 1 or 2 pounds not really matter at the end of the day.

I am sure hunting in forests is much different than stand hunting which is all I do today...
Cooper 92 7mm with scope and mounts 7#1ounce my pack rifle

Kimber chambers their mountain rifle in .280AI, so does Weatherby in the (relatively) new Mk V Backcountry. I carried a Kimber Montana in .300WM killing a lot of elk over the years. Switched to the Backcountry last season in 6.5 RPM. Both with Leupold 4.5-14X40 scopes weighing 13 Oz riding in Talley lightweight mounts. Both work well, neither packs objectionable recoil or muzzle blast. Carrying both is a dream as I think back to other conventional rifle/scope combinations I carried into the mountains over the years. Goodluck and good hunting in the New Year.

There is no downside to a lighter rifle, except recoil. I refuse to hiunt with a brake on anything so in real light rifles recoil can be an issue for some. For the past 14 years my main hunting rifle is a New Ultra Light Arms in left hand, 308 with a 21" barrel. With Swaro Z5 3.5x18x44 BRX reticle, sling and full mag, it weighs 6 pounds 3 ounces. It will put the first two cold bore shots in the same place every time ,out to 800 yards. It will push a 150 grain bullet to 3000 fps easily. Most of what I shoot is 450 and under, but have taken Elk to 650 with it.

Last edited:
Dean a 150@ 3000 out of a 21" barrel is really horn honking on it, what are you burning for a powder and charge?

MR2000?