Traveling Outside United States With Rifle For Hunting Or Shooting

Discussion in 'How To Hunt Big Game' started by turkeyfever, Oct 3, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. turkeyfever

turkeyfever Well-Known Member

Just got back to the states from Canada from my moose hunt. US Custom agent was kinda snotty because of a form you need filled out by them before bringing rifle back into the US. We did get thru without the form. I will upload a picture of form.

2. turkeyfever

turkeyfever Well-Known Member

276FA52B-D567-4FF9-892F-C5AA5EAB5333.jpeg 276FA52B-D567-4FF9-892F-C5AA5EAB5333.jpeg

3. gillettehunter

gillettehunter Well-Known Member

Get a 4457 from any customs agent before you go. Here in WY we can e-mail the rifle info to him and the paperwork arrives in the mail a few days later. Many other states/places you have to take the rifle into them to get it filled out. When going to Africa be sure to have one less that 1 yr old. Can have more than one rifle on a form if you take more than one with you.
    Bruce

turkeyfever likes this.
  4. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

We used to fill those out when we lived in Mexico and crossed the border to Arizona to shoot Silhouette matches, hadn't seen one of those in a long long time.

5. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

I printed out that form ahead of time, showed my rifle to the U.S. customs folks before crossing into Canada on my way to Alaska. I'm really glad I did, 'cause three weeks later coming back home, entering Washington, I ran into a "snotty" (good description) CBP person who REALLY wanted to give me a bad time about my rifle. Then she recognized the fellow who had signed my paperwork three weeks earlier was way senior to her. :)

I was surprised that the Canadians even liked me having that paperwork. Not required, but they seemed happy to see it. I'd taken rifles into Canada before to shoot competition, but that had been quite a while ago. It's really pretty doggone easy to take a "normal" rifle into Canada.

Was a good trip, and I really like the folks in B.C.

Guy

Don A Parsons likes this.
  6. Blacktailer

Blacktailer Member

Many foreign countries think the 4457 is a firearms license and you must show it to them. In fact it is only to show that you had something of value (like a rifle or even your binoculars or camera) when you left the states so don't need to pay duty on it when you return but they think it is a license so you need to have it with you. I make copies and put one with the firearms, one with your passport and a spare in my luggage just in case.

turkeyfever likes this.
  7. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

That form isn't even intended for firearms per say. It is merely used to avoid the potential of being asked to pay duty on something of value purchased outside the USA and brought in. The same form would be used for your Rolex watch or expensive camera equipment.

I have been traveling from NY to Canada for 25yrs. I have never had one of these forms nor have I ever been asked for one. I always stop at the US customs office on my return and fill out the necessary paperwork for the game animals that I'm bringing in, usually bear or moose. They often ask if I'm returning with a firearm but never asked for any forms or certificates.

Unfortunately, this year I ran into a CBP agent with an attitude. He was angry that I did not have the form even though I proved that I brought the rifles into Canada by providing the Canadian firearms declaration paperwork. I told him that the document that he requested hasn't been required for 25yrs. His only response was that he wanted it.

All three of us were essentially detained in a room where we were denied the use of our cell phones (in or out of the building) and the use of the restroom, including the non-hunter who had nothing to declare. We lost aprox an hour while they checked for stolen guns and filled in paperwork. Our hunting buddies who traveled back at the same time crossed at a border station within a few miles. They were asked for nothing and sailed right through.

FWIW - Two of us are retired LEO and none of us have any criminal records. We all had passports.

I have always had the highest respect for the CBP but this incident has certainly changed my opinion. The Canadian CBP have always been proficient and respectful. I expect the same from our own people.

BTW - an attorney friend told me that the US CBP is without authority to deny any US citizen from entering the country if they are already on US soil. Just something nice to know.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019 at 8:14 PM
  8. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

Yup, I listed my cameras, the rifle, my binoculars and maybe my rangefinder on the 4457. Those were the items of value I decided to declare. The snooty agent was only interested in the rifle.

9. Don A Parsons

Don A Parsons Well-Known Member

We have a similar form in our side when heading South...

List everything we're bringing South to lesson the chances of paying duty when returning North...

We also have to let the US border custom know in advance by a form that we are bringing a firearm South if we're shooting a competion or planning on hunting down there...

Funny thing is,,, we have more in common then any kind of difference...

Our family roots started in the USA in 1492... My Great Great...... Grand Pappy was one of those Pilgrims...

Cheers from the North

Guy M likes this.