Tripod shooting sticks

I've been hunting out west for 18 years and other than being in big timber I can't think of a situation where I could not get to at least I high kneel for shooting over obstructions. In the timber I don't carry a shooting aid because God provided us with trees to brace off.

I've shot standing off numerous tripods. The only one I would do so on game past 200 is a carbon fiber manfrotto which is $$$$$. I do not like using a spotter from standing as the wind always gives a bit too much vibration.

I use a tripod both for work as a police sniper and for hunting. I'm pretty solid with it from a high kneel. If I can get as low as sitting, I put my pack in my lap to support the rear of the gun and my firing arm. With that method I am 95% as stable as prone and can spot my own hits.

Web Store Tripods & Accessories - LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC

The tripod will go high enough for standing. It's not the most stable and no way I cam spot hits. In a field situation I could make a better shot from a sling supported kneel in less time and spot my own hits.

Nothing else needs to be added to what has been said here.

I saw a set of sticks on Varmit Al's hunting site . He calls them bi-fur pods. You make them yourself out of 2 hardwood strips . They can be used as cross sticks, are adjustable for height. They can also be unfolded for a standing shot. I made a set, cost next to nothing and work great. old243

I've use the bog pod for hunting situations and found it acceptical.I prefer the sitting/prone if possible.I have the head that allows you to use spotting scope or camera.This comes in handy when glassing or taking pics.The bog pod has several options for additional accessories.I like the way the legs adjust over the stoney point pole cat.Larry

I bought the bog pod took it out of the package, set my medium weight barreled hunting rifle on it and packed it up and returned it. It wasn't as stable as my shooting sticks. It worked fine sitting, but I have lighter solutions for that that are just as stable.

I have used the BogPod for years. I carry it extended for standing shots while walking to my stand, and lower it to use sitting in a blind. I use it as a walking stick while still hunting, and in mountain terrain it is a life saver, both going up and down. Most of my shooting is 300 or less, but I have taken deer and pronghorn at a little over 400 with this set up. It is easy to remove the rest and screw on a spotter or camera with a telephoto. If hunting, I don't leave home without it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.