Tripod shooting sticks

Wy Will

I am trying to decide on some good tripod shooting sticks for stand up shooting. I rarely ever get a chance to shoot in the prone. I am for durable tripod sticks for added stability. It would also be nice to have the option of mounting a spotting scope/binoculars to the tripod. I think I have narrowed it down to 2 options, but let me know if there are others that I should consider. I would like something durable, lightweight, and steady.

I am stuck between the Bog-Pod CLD-3
CLD-3 |

And the Ultrec Quick Change Carbon Fiber Sticks
quick change sticks, pro hunter sticks, shooting sticks, ball head, grip action ball head, Wisconsin, WI

These will be used mainly in WY for antelope, deer, elk, and possibly coyotes.

Well about any rest is better than none. Both those would appear to me to be very
similar. They will not offer the stability you need from a standing position for long
shots. Id reccomend you consider using them from a sitting position for better results.
There are very good tripods which can be used from a standing position. But you wont be carrying them around much. And they would be much more costly than what
youve shown.

I just came up with these 2 options based on other peoples reviews. I know they are fairly similar and that is why I am having a hard time choosing between them. I believe they will also go low enough, that I could use them from a sitting position. I usually don't get a whole lot of time to make the shot, but I won't squeeze the trigger unless I am confident in the shot. I am just looking for options to stabilize myself on longer shots.

Check out quad shooting sticks on youtube. They give support at both ends of the rifle, and are steadier than standing behind a tripod.

Those are interesting, but seem like they would make it difficult to stay on a moving target... They also don't offer an option to attach a spotting scope, so I would still have to carry another tripod for that.

Your style of hunting and the type terrain you do it in will determine the equiptment you use more so than personal preference. Here in N C PA virtualy all shooting long range is from portable benches or very good tripods. Reason being the terrain is such that its a better method than prone/bipod shooting. Considering that this activity has been seriously going on in this region since the end of ww2, you can be sure about everything for a good support has been attempted. While there are some excellant light tripods available today, they only work well for the use they were intended for which isnt supporting a gun and especially a heavier gun. Just because somebody decided to put a little v shaped device on top dosent mean it will work well especially with max extension on the legs. keeping it low will help alot as for stability.
If weight isnt a major issue, check out the ultimate tripod made by Mcfadden Machine Co Blairsville PA. Ive owned one for several years and prefer it to my bench for shots out to about 1000 yds. Ive shot with it much further also and it still performed very well. While i wouldnt hesitate to carry it a mile or so to a lookout, it wouldnt be the thing to carry around all day. Ive also devised a duell purpose tripod which i can use to support my twin spotter bigeyes for glassing. Then remove the glasses and attach a shooting cradle using the same tripod. Again, the tripod needs some heft to it to allow for standup shooting which this device does. Total weight is about 10# n i c the bigeyes. For our style of hunting
this works well as thats all ill be carrying. One of the others will carry the gun and
his own glasses/tripod. Again, were always heading to a specific location, once there we stay there and glass. And it could also be were headed there in a vehicle
and not on foot.

So, I'm guessing nobody has experience on these 2 models or others like them... I guess I will use my best guess to decide, I think that I am leaning towards the Bog-Pod. It just seems to have more options for attachments. I might end up going with the HD version though.

IMHO a bipod tall enough to use sitting is steadier than a tripod standing. By loading the bipod it steadys me more than resting a rifle on a tripod

So, I'm guessing nobody has experience on these 2 models or others like them... I guess I will use my best guess to decide, I think that I am leaning towards the Bog-Pod. It just seems to have more options for attachments. I might end up going with the HD version though.

The fact is you did get an answer but it obviously wasent satisfactory.
No doubt because it was of a general opinion nature and didnt address your specific models.
The best experience is always your own, so yes pick one and find out.

The fact is you did get an answer but it obviously wasent satisfactory.
No doubt because it was of a general opinion nature and didnt address your specific models.
The best experience is always your own, so yes pick one and find out.

I got answers to questions that I didn't ask and didn't get answers to the questions that I did ask. I am not going to lug around some giant contraption all over the mountains. That is why I listed the tripods that I did. I also asked about any like them, but none listed were even close to being like them. I appreciate your input, but I was hoping that someone that at least hunts in the same terrain as me would chime in. I really thought more input would be provided on this question, but I guess it doesn't refer to wildcat calibers or ELR hunting, so nobody on this forum cares about this mediocre topic.

I got answers to questions that I didn't ask and didn't get answers to the questions that I did ask. I am not going to lug around some giant contraption all over the mountains. That is why I listed the tripods that I did. I also asked about any like them, but none listed were even close to being like them. I appreciate your input, but I was hoping that someone that at least hunts in the same terrain as me would chime in. I really thought more input would be provided on this question, but I guess it doesn't refer to wildcat calibers or ELR hunting, so nobody on this forum cares about this mediocre topic.

It's a good thread; even exotic calibers are only as good as the set up. As far as terrain, my happy hunting grounds are the canyons of Western CO which offers some brushy, steep terrain where it's impossible to shoot prone. Any tripod sturdy enough to be solid will in a pain to carry, and an even bigger pain to get set up on a steep hillside -used one last year.

This year I used a set of Atlas bipods with extensions, one set a yard long for steep down-hill shots. I also used the bipod with extensions stuck in the ground to rest bino's on while sitting and glassing which worked so well it kept getting "borrowed". (Things that are simple, and serve more than one purpose, get the nod in my gear selection:)

Although not answering your question directly, going from tripods to a bipod with some home-made extensions proved to be better, quicker, lighter, and steadier - in field conditions - which I assumed :) to be the reason all of us spend our money on tripods, bipods, etc. in the first place.

Best in your quest,

Jack

It's a good thread; even exotic calibers are only as good as the set up. As far as terrain, my happy hunting grounds are the canyons of Western CO which offers some brushy, steep terrain where it's impossible to shoot prone. Any tripod sturdy enough to be solid will in a pain to carry, and an even bigger pain to get set up on a steep hillside -used one last year.

This year I used a set of Atlas bipods with extensions, one set a yard long for steep down-hill shots. I also used the bipod with extensions stuck in the ground to rest bino's on while sitting and glassing which worked so well it kept getting "borrowed". (Things that are simple, and serve more than one purpose, get the nod in my gear selection:)

Although not answering your question directly, going from tripods to a bipod with some home-made extensions proved to be better, quicker, lighter, and steadier - in field conditions - which I assumed :) to be the reason all of us spend our money on tripods, bipods, etc. in the first place.

Best in your quest,

Jack

Thank you for your input Jack. I could see how a bipod could be better than a tripod, especially in rugged rocky terrain. I just figured that if I needed to, I could still leave 2 legs together and only open up one leg so that my tripod is essentially a bipod. That might be more of a pain than I think it will be though. I might be asking for too much out of my gear. I was think a tripod because it would be pretty stable, but might be difficult to get all of the legs set up so they actually sit on the ground. I was going to use these for myself and also for my girlfriend. She is new to hunting and has only shot paper so far. She will only be shooting out to 300 yards and I am confident in her shooting that far. I just wanted something to help her have better stability, while keeping her rifle light(not adding a Harris or Atlas bipod) and then I can also use the sticks for my rifle and spotting scope/binos.

I don't always plan on making a long shot. I hunt everything between sagebrush fields to thick trees. You never know what you will run into or how much time you will have to get setup. I was going to use the tripod as a monopod of quick close distant shots and then actually set it up when I have time to. A bipod might still be better though...

I guess I am not really sure as to what I want. That's why I am on a forum trying to get different ideas and input.

We can't help you with something none of us has tried.

I use the Primo's Trigger Sticks II tripod and for longer shots have a lightweight aluminum bipod that I use for a rear rest as well. Can't remember the brand or model but I could go dig it out of the truck if you're interested.

I've been hunting out west for 18 years and other than being in big timber I can't think of a situation where I could not get to at least I high kneel for shooting over obstructions. In the timber I don't carry a shooting aid because God provided us with trees to brace off.

I've shot standing off numerous tripods. The only one I would do so on game past 200 is a carbon fiber manfrotto which is $$$$$. I do not like using a spotter from standing as the wind always gives a bit too much vibration.

I use a tripod both for work as a police sniper and for hunting. I'm pretty solid with it from a high kneel. If I can get as low as sitting, I put my pack in my lap to support the rear of the gun and my firing arm. With that method I am 95% as stable as prone and can spot my own hits.

Web Store Tripods & Accessories - LONG RANGE HUNTING, LLC

The tripod will go high enough for standing. It's not the most stable and no way I cam spot hits. In a field situation I could make a better shot from a sling supported kneel in less time and spot my own hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts