What's your Shooting Positions

Discussion in 'How To Hunt Big Game' started by prohuntersmind, Dec 3, 2017.

1. wyowinchester

wyowinchester Well-Known Member

YEP ^^^^^^^
    Learn them all, Use the one that is needed for the job at hand.

6fatrat, Idaho Lefty and Guy M like this.
  2. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

Within 200 yards, I have used every possible position. Beyond 200 yards, it has been prone. I cannot think of a single exception, must be >75 animals past 200. Simply not stable enough in any other position to trust the shot.

Guy M likes this.
  3. schwanman

schwanman Member

I practice all positions but will use prone every chance I can get - which is more often than not. To each his own, however, we do owe it to the animal to kill as quickly and cleanly as possible and to have the discipline to know when a shot shouldn't be taken because you aren't in the proper position for that shot.

Idaho Lefty and Guy M like this.
  4. Zen Archery

Zen Archery Well-Known Member

Prone when sighting in, plinking, sending down range.
    Tripod when hunting.

5. Idaho Lefty

Idaho Lefty Well-Known Member

THIS ^^^^ When, I need to shoot offhand, my arm is braced against the Sling, to about, 125 yards (or over, a Branch if, in Timber), when in sitting position, to 300 yards, I use Hunter's Specialties, "Sticks" with, a Pack under, the rifles "Toe" (Pack against my chest), "sticks" held by hand firmly and braced against my knee and when shooting "prone" it's over my back pack with, a Holland Field Bag, (Toe Rest), for shots beyond 300 yards,.. I don't carry, a Bipod anymore, as the Rifle, change's POI for all, the "other" methods, that I use ! Bonus,.. one pound OFF the Rifle's weight !

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Guy M likes this.