Good caliber for hunting Pronghorn in WY or CO

Kent kacir

I am working towards a guided hunt for Pronghorn (may have other questions there, but lets keep this post focused on one topic). My reading of the forums suggest that these critters are skitish and thus long range shots is something you need to prepare for. So, my question is what caliber is good/best (!). My assumption is that any caliber is good (correct bullet placement) as long as the caliber can carry the energy at say 600 yards. So, if this is correct even a 6.5 CM would work, or anything above. Any thoughts welcomed.

they are not tough critters, almost anything will work. I have shot them with .25-06, .243, 7mag. Next i'll take my 6.5creed. Of the 4 in my office they've been about 200, 360, 100, 70 yards. My hunting partners have used .270, 6.5creed, .264win, .30-06, 6.5x55, and i've seen distances killed anywhere from 50-400 yards. You also do not need a guide if you're willing to download OnX and walk a few miles imo.

Last edited:
I am working towards a guided hunt for Pronghorn (may have other questions there, but lets keep this post focused on one topic). My reading of the forums suggest that these critters are skitish and thus long range shots is something you need to prepare for. So, my question is what caliber is good/best (!). My assumption is that any caliber is good (correct bullet placement) as long as the caliber can carry the energy at say 600 yards. So, if this is correct even a 6.5 CM would work, or anything above. Any thoughts welcomed.
They have the most amazing eyes of probably any game animal on the continent. They also favor flatlands with little cover other than grass and sage so under most conditions you can at least see your desired point of impact and not have to guess based on relative body positions.

I killed my first PH in 73 with a 243 at about 100yards.

My preference today is a flat shooting 6.5-.300.

Average shots are taken at pretty close range but with the low cover and incredible eyes of the PH the older and wiser Bucks tend to keep their distance and can spook easily.

They are also extremely curious and often if we got busted we'd wave a tall orange bicycle flag to draw them in.

Bucks that already have does with them are going to be paying very little attention to anything but keeping their does herded up and fighting off any encroaching bucks.

It can be really, really exciting.

The portable folding doe decoys seem to be very effective especially early and late.

Antelope have been the easiest animal to kill I would eat. Any bullet will kill them. Based on your estimation of yardage needed I would shoot anything 60gr and up in any cartridge with case capacity 243 ish. Yep, a 22-250 pushing a standard or Partition non hyper explosive bullet will kill the crud out of them even at 5-600.

Like other have said anything works.Plus they move all the time,so you can sit in a travel corridor or at water and get them.I shot several with my bow.I like my 257 wby,but on the long stuff and heavy wind,like my 338nm for the wind bucking,800+ and on out

I love pronghorn hunting! Being primarily an eastern whitetail hunter, when sometimes you're lucky to see a couple of potential targets a day, looking at animals almost constantly is just plain exciting! I've been fortunate to make several guided trips to Wyoming, and have taken antelope with a .25-06, 26 Nosler, .280 AI, .28 Nosler, and 7 SAUM. Rangers have been from 199 yards to 519 yards. I guess the main things I have learned over the years is; "don't shoot too soon", and "listen to your guide". With a little experience you'll learn how to judge a good one from an average goat, but the guides that do it everyday and season-after-season are better at it than I'll ever be. Have fun and enjoy the experience!