Mt Lion rifle

From what I've seen treed lions are not hard to kill, I've killed 2, one large male with a bow, we had the dogs tied back before the shot, as soon as the arrow hit the cat left the tree, died in stride about 35 yards. The second was an adult female I shot with a 22 Magnum pistol, one shot, dead when it hit the ground. I have seen a couple others shot with 41 and 44 Magnum handguns, no problem.

Come to SEGA. Everybody I know has seen at least one black panther. Funny how I've been hunting and stomping around one of the biggest creek basins in SEGA hunting and fishing, have been running trail cameras for 30 yrs, and I haven't been so lucky.
Mountain lions, Puma, Panther, whatever name is used cannot become black. Only spotted cats can be "black panthers" leopards and jaguars, not even cheetahs... It's recessive alleles in leopards and dominant alleles in jaguars.

Mountain lions, Puma, Panther, whatever name is used cannot become black. Only spotted cats can be "black panthers" leopards and jaguars, not even cheetahs... It's recessive alleles in leopards and dominant alleles in jaguars.
Apparently the sarcasm didn't translate. I regularly point out to locals that a black panther can't exist. It doesn't seem to matter since their dad killed one or they saw one.cross the road last week. We have had a few spotted over the years. About 30 years ago one was tracked from FL into south-central Georgia. It was eventually captured. About 20 years ago, a young man struck one crossing the highway and decided it would be cool to cut the paws off...not a good decision. About 10 years ago, a deer hunter in west Georgia killed male. He was charged and found guilty on federal charges. Oddly enough, he was tested as a Panther Concolor but his pads were worn in a manner that suggest6he had been kept in a pen on concrete. There's no doubt we have the rare transient. But the dearth of trail cam pics suggest that they are extremely rare. I've never seen a no-doubt pic from SEGA in spite of the fact that there are deer cameras everywhere.

Mt geezer-
I sure do shoot it. Have all the fixings to reload too. Yes, the bullets are smaller diameter. Mine has the peep sight and what Dad called a partridge sight on the front. A wide ramp or blade. Mine is a early take down too.
Very cool! I'll bet it's a fun gun to
shoot and would probably be a great lion gun as well. I have shot mine, too, but not much. Will have to check with the Graf crew to see if they have dies and bullets. Any other places you know of that might have these? Stay safe and well and God Bless you! Also, aren't the bullets .04mm larger? Ammo (out of stock) shows them to be 5.6x45. Thinking of resurrecting this old cartridge.

Last edited:
Apparently the sarcasm didn't translate. I regularly point out to locals that a black panther can't exist. It doesn't seem to matter since their dad killed one or they saw one.cross the road last week. We have had a few spotted over the years. About 30 years ago one was tracked from FL into south-central Georgia. It was eventually captured. About 20 years ago, a young man struck one crossing the highway and decided it would be cool to cut the paws off...not a good decision. About 10 years ago, a deer hunter in west Georgia killed male. He was charged and found guilty on federal charges. Oddly enough, he was tested as a Panther Concolor but his pads were worn in a manner that suggest6he had been kept in a pen on concrete. There's no doubt we have the rare transient. But the dearth of trail cam pics suggest that they are extremely rare. I've never seen a no-doubt pic from SEGA in spite of the fact that there are deer cameras everywhere.
I gotcha, was just contemplating the thought of how blessed we are here in Idaho. About 1 out of 15 of our bigfoot are black color phase! :cool:

Very cool! I'll bet it's a fun gun to
shoot and would probably be a great lion gun as well. I have shot mine, too, but not much. Will have to check with the Graf crew to see if they have dies and bullets. Any other places you know of that might have these? Stay safe and well and God Bless you! Also, aren't the bullets .04mm larger? Ammo (out of stock) shows them to be 5.6x45. Thinking of resurrecting this old cartridge.
Oops, should have said 5.6x52 mm

@adk hunter. Hey, I have one of those in the safe! Still have 20 rounds, factory 70 grain soft points to go with it. Also have about 50+ cases to load if I only had dies and the proper sized projos. Aren't they different diameter than our .22 cal stuff? My rifle is the take-down model made in 1915. Haven't heard anyone mention the 22 High Power in many, many years! Do you shoot yours? DT in MT ps: Mine has the old Weaver K3 scope on it.

That 22 HP is a call old round espcially in the 99. My G-pa had one. Think I still have a couple old red and yellow/orange boxes of factory ammo around here somewhere.

Rancher from one of the big ranches north of Boze had one that he used from time to time as I recall.

I don't hunt mountain lions, just never had that urge, had many around me over the years, seen a couple up close, very briefly, with that said I think if I was going to hunt with dogs, I'd use my Winchester and Colt 1873s in .38/.357 Mag. I'm pretty sure they would get the job done just fine. Without dogs... anything that had some reach! just my 0.2 Cheers

Winchester and Colt 1873 357 Mag 5.jpg
Winchester and Colt 1873 375 Mag 7.jpg

I don't hunt mountain lions, just never had that urge, had many around me over the years, seen a couple up close, very briefly, with that said I think if I was going to hunt with dogs, I'd use my Winchester and Colt 1873s in .38/.357 Mag. I'm pretty sure they would get the job done just fine. Without dogs... anything that had some reach! just my 0.2 Cheers

View attachment 438338View attachment 438340
Nice looking stock on that lever gun!!

Nice looking stock on that lever gun!!
Yeah, it is, it's one of Winchester's, saddle-ring carbine competition high grades everything on it shows great workmanship on Winchester's part. I have a lot of lever rifles, and this by far has the smoothest action I've ever played with right out of the box bar-none. "I couldn't find one flaw" and believe me I looked at it very hard when I bought it. Cheers