Rifle Insurance

Homeowners' and NRA insurance are a real rip off.

I use Eastern. Before that I used Collectibles

Eastern covers at a super reasonable rate. Includes damage and theft while you are out hunting or at the range or transporting in your car

Also covers your firearms in shipment, which saves a small fortune at UPS and FedEx.

They also don't require a serialized list, or appraisals. Just a policy total amount.

On my policy flood is excluded. Ask about that.
With SIAI I do have to include a list and serial numbers, description of custom work and upgrades, triggers, optic serial numbers, etc. But I keep multiple lists of those anyway. When you've been in a major flood, you learn to keep extra copies. No safe required for the amount I insure. Around 50K. I figure if they are affiliated with the NSCA and NSSA and remain that way they must have a pretty sound track record. But I've been wrong before. I've never had a claim. Their instructors policy allows me to list clubs or property where I teach as additional insured which is good. No limit on defense should there be an incident which also seems fair.

With SIAI I do have to include a list and serial numbers, description of custom work and upgrades, triggers, optic serial numbers, etc. But I keep multiple lists of those anyway. When you've been in a major flood, you learn to keep extra copies. No safe required for the amount I insure. Around 50K. I figure if they are affiliated with the NSCA and NSSA and remain that way they must have a pretty sound track record. But I've been wrong before. I've never had a claim. Their instructors policy allows me to list clubs or property where I teach as additional insured which is good. No limit on defense should there be an incident which also seems fair.
The less people that have details on what I have the better I like it.
that's why I chose to go with Eastern.

This is excellent information guys. I just had a fire at my summer home at the jersey shore. Happened in January, with no one home, thank God!! No one in the house since November. Started by the dishwasher motor, I was told. If a firearm was in the house, it would have been badly damaged or destroyed. So I need insurance to cover a gunsmith's assessment of how bad the rifle is damaged: Can it be repaired?? " If so at what cost??? or is it a total loss.?? What if its a rifle that is no longer in production?? What about the scope ?? If you paid $1200 to $1500 for you rifle, and $1500 for your scope, 10 years ago, you would need at least that much to replace it today. What about Modifications made to the rifle, such as a New Recoil pad, or a new Trigger , or a Muzzle break? When you think about this subject, there are many questions. Great thread, I hope "Boots" can find the name of his insurance carrier. Thanks Boys !!!

I would like to know why some comments the reloading equipment wasn't covered by Homeowners Ins? There is nothing in my policy that excludes it.

Every year I photograph entire house and pole barn contents on a camera SD card and stash in small firesafe that takes up hardly any room in firearm safe. Includes photos of every firearm. I also photograph reloading bench equipment and components. Just think whats in pole barn as well. Photographs are defensible.

Photos metadata proves time date stamp.

I know some insurance laws differ from state to state. I asked my Oklahoma Farm Bureau Agent and he told me when it comes to fire, flood tornado, etc. guns are covered under my contents coverage up to my limits. So if I have a $100,000 contents coverage it'll pay up to that on all personal property. Theft was the only thing that requires a special additional coverage.

Great thread. I will start researching insurance coverage.
Thanks all.
Duane
Agreed. I just emailed Laura @ Eastern.

I'd investigated this type of insurance when I was renewing my home policy. I found similar information... home insurance excludes firearms and components (optics, ammo, etc). The quotes I received were high and had high deductibles as well. The kicker was that anything valued below the deductible amount was excluded on the policy (inquire on these types of details). Based on the policy cost, deductible amount, and exclusions, I'd decided I was better off rolling the dice without coverage.

Hopefully Eastern has a program that makes more sense.