I need help/info getting through customs, TSA, Homeland Security, etc. getting out and then back into the U.S. with my rifles.

So after many treks through and across the web I searched for a local Customs office and called them. Once I got the agent talking he told me everything to do and whom to call ( Local TSA etc.), He really liked to chat. He said to get the form 4457 to start so I printed 6 copies off the web. He said to have at least one completed 4457 for each separate firearm and keep the stamped (?) ones until I sell the rifle. He said if you use a 4457 that has multiple weapons listed you may have trouble if you use the 4457 at a later time and don't have all the items on it at the time you try to come back (does that all make sense?).
So, I've since called all his numbers and now feel squared away and I'm ready tp get Delta Airlines to commit as to what their ammo polices are at San Francisco Airport; I'll keep you all updated.
Thanks for replies
duckklr
Think delays and re-routing as to whatever surprises travel can throw at you. Be sure of the "in transit" curves you might encounter. Intermediate, unplanned destination rules, interpretations can come into play. Even just domestic travel can be problematic when encountering travel curves. Understand the subtle problems of taking possession...or NOT...of guns and ammo during travel interruption/changes. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Murphy isn't just a domestic arch nemesis.

I went into British Columbia with a TC Encore Muzzle-loader and a lever action 45-70. No issues going into Canada but coming back the US Customs looked at my locked case and then came out with bolt cutters to cut the locks. These geniuses never asked me for the key, when I saw what they were about to do I loudly reported that I had the key in my possession as required by law. They looked at me with a blank look and said You have the key to this?
Point is, know the regulations and then keep an eye on your gear, Had they cut my locks I would have been stuck getting on my connecting flight back home with no way to lock my rifle case.

Ammo cannot be in same bag as the firearm. Been that way for years. Limit is 5 kilos. That is essentially 11 lbs. If you're close to the limit make them weigh it without the case. The regs state 5 kilos of ammo. Make sure the ammo is ina case where the cartridges can't contact one another. If you're going through or to RSA you may be required to remove your ammo from your other checked bag and check the ammo box separately. Had it happen a couple of times. If hunting RSA you need the following documents:
4457 from customs dated less than 6 months prior to hunt
letter of invitation from your outfitter
copy of you airline flight schedule so they know when your leaving
address of the farm/concession your hunting
SAPS 520 form filled out in BLACK ink and not signed until it can be witnessed by the police in RSA
They will also want to see your passport.
The police will issue you a temporary permit. Keep it because they want to see it when you leave. If you transport beyond Joberg VIA SAA in RSA they will charge a fee for your rifle. Around $60 as I recall.
There are a couple of companies that provide pre approved permits. Can be helpful if you have concerns about filling out the paperwork.
Bruce

Hi. Guys. ,I just texted my nephew who works for USCustoms and Border protection! Soon as I Get a Response I will post it !

We hunted in Africa. No problem getting the rifles back and forth. Check with your Airline and TSA also with you Guide in Africa. You will need to fill out paperwork for Custome in Africa. They check serial #s to and fro. Get a GREAT firearm case. The baggage handlers tend to throw around firearm cases. Also if you can put a GPS locater or tracker in the case for tracking. We almost had our rifles stolen at the Johannesburg Airport. Our rifle case went missing. I started looking around and saw it in a restricted area on a loading dock ready to be loaded onto a truck. Got Airport Police and they retrieved it.
Have a GREAT Hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!

We hunted in Africa. No problem getting the rifles back and forth. Check with your Airline and TSA also with you Guide in Africa. You will need to fill out paperwork for Custome in Africa. They check serial #s to and fro. Get a GREAT firearm case. The baggage handlers tend to throw around firearm cases. Also if you can put a GPS locater or tracker in the case for tracking. We almost had our rifles stolen at the Johannesburg Airport. Our rifle case went missing. I started looking around and saw it in a restricted area on a loading dock ready to be loaded onto a truck. Got Airport Police and they retrieved it.
Have a GREAT Hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interesting.

HI all, So I heard back from my nephew who is US Customs and Border Protection. There is a form on the US Customs Web sight. The form is # CBP 4457, and you can download it. Its a small Form that you can fill out and the first time you travel, the customs guys will stamp it. The you can laminate it if you want, and present it to the Customs Guys , each time you travel abroad with your rifle. On the form you should write-in the Make ; Model ; Serial number and Caliber of your Hunting Rifle. This should make Airport travel and bit easier on your return from Africa. Some people even use this form for their expensive cameras too. I hope this is helpful to you guys who live the dream!!! By the way, ammo and Rifle must be separate .

Attachments

• imagepng_0GUN TRAVEL CUSTOMS FORM 2022.png
    imagepng_0GUN TRAVEL CUSTOMS FORM 2022.png
    81 KB · Views: 76