Rifle weight

There are SO MANY options to carry rifles easier than ever before that can allow you to carry "heavier" rifles. Slings have come a long way and have better options to lock rifle and distribute weight. If you are just chugging along, use good backpack designed to carry rifles. The key to carry heavier rifles is having better weight distribution in the carry. Frees up arms for trekking poles which I consider even more important than rifle weight. Trekking poles provides 4x4 balance and does help you carry more weight by using your arms to help power up or down or sideways. Earlier post said it best that depends on the person. If you are Sasquatch size, probably means nothing and worried more about how much food you can carry. Me! I just weighed a new build thinking just right. Yep 11.5 lbs.

The point is evaluate other carry options that might help you carry heavier rifle and don't just rule it out because what the scale says it weighs.

I'm not like most here I think 9-9.5 pounds is the sweet spot for me from hiking to stand hunting. I've also toted my 20 pound MRAD to the deer stand so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. IMO it also heavily relates to what caliber you are shooting. If you're shooting a sweet little 7-08, 260 or god forbid a 6.5 shemoor you can get away with a lighter platform where a big boomer would be more pleasant with more weight.

I have the Eberlestock RMEF pack with built in gun scabbard. The gun centered on my back makes for very comfortable hikes and it's a heavy gun. Added bonus, I never worry about the scope being bumped and elements getting in the action and barrel. Buy the pack, trekking poles and forget about the weight.

No matter what it's still pounds carried in and out. Every additional pound carried takes energy, and more energy means more calories. More water. When you're carrying out an elk 3 to 5 miles, multiple trips by yourself, every ounce matters. Maybe I just hunt in places I shouldn't be. 🤣 But that's where the elk live. I go light clothing, light pack, light rifle. Plenty of times I'm still cramping on the last 500 yds to the the truck but that's part of the fun and experience.

Im pushing 60 so my middle name is light.7 years ago I went to a 7# rifle,main elk.I have a 6# im going to use some for deer this year.Packed my bull out solo,ended up being 10 miles,with trips.Being older I shuttled it less time duration of weight on my back,packed full rears.Was short on water didnt help.I wasnt sure how it was going to go,just kept leap frogging all day.

My "lightweight" elk rifle is right at 9# scoped and suppressed. It is a .280AI too.
I now have a 6.5SS that is just under 9# scoped and suppressed as well.

Everything else is between 9.5-11.5# scoped/suppressed with the exception of a 15.5# .300RUM for the sole purpose of long range elk busting.

I continually think about building a true lightweight 7# scoped rifle, but just can't settle on a build that would meet my wants.

My go to is a Weatherby Mk V Backcountry, steel receiver version, in 6.5 RPM at 5.3 lbs, Leupold VX3i 4.5-14X40 at 13.2 Oz in Talley lightweights, Murry 1A sling at 4.4 Oz. A tack driving joy to shoot and carry. The rifle can also be had in .280AI should you be sold on it. I'm sold on the 6.5 RPM. With 65.6 gr of RL25 over a GM210M lighting it a Hornady 143 gr ELD-X leaves the muzzle at 3045, SD 14.8. Recoil, rise and blast are less than my M70 .243 at 8.3 lbs fully appointed.

I echo with the heavier rifle guys. I feel more confident shooting at distance with my 300WM that weighs 12lb. Someday I'll probably debarred it with a carbon wrapped barrel to cut a little weight but that's about $50 per oz of weight savings and I have several other weight reduction options that are much cheaper. Even without the carbon barrel I should be down to 30lb in my day pack and 50lb for a 5 day excursion, so I'm not sweating it too much.