I need help/info getting through customs, TSA, Homeland Security, etc. getting out and then back into the U.S. with my rifles.

duckklr

I've hunted Africa in the past but used the PH's rifles so I am completely at a loss in dealing with U.S. customs and the rest of the Govt. folks when leaving and re-entering the country. What do I need to do before I leave on trip regarding forms etc?

I would look at another forum, Africa Hunting. I think you'll find all of the answers you need there, if you haven't visited there already.

Like you, have/will have used camp rifles over there last year and this summer. Good luck to you and your upcoming trip!

So after many treks through and across the web I searched for a local Customs office and called them. Once I got the agent talking he told me everything to do and whom to call ( Local TSA etc.), He really liked to chat. He said to get the form 4457 to start so I printed 6 copies off the web. He said to have at least one completed 4457 for each separate firearm and keep the stamped (?) ones until I sell the rifle. He said if you use a 4457 that has multiple weapons listed you may have trouble if you use the 4457 at a later time and don't have all the items on it at the time you try to come back (does that all make sense?).
So, I've since called all his numbers and now feel squared away and I'm ready tp get Delta Airlines to commit as to what their ammo polices are at San Francisco Airport; I'll keep you all updated.
Thanks for replies
duckklr

Ammo has to be in a locked box, best to get a Pelican I got mine at Cabelas for 29.95. you can only take 50 rounds of ammo for the rifle you are taking and you will have to have TSA locks on that box and it will go into your checked bag. rifle case a Pelican 1750 works great and you will be able to use regular locks on it takes 4 or as another hunter said just cut the center 2 off the case as they are just plastic and not metal reinforced and keep 2 spare locks in your carry on bag.you do not have to use TSA locks on your gun case just ammo box. per TSA regs they are not permitted to open your rifle case without you doing it (if they follow their rules) but many have found locks cut off even it you used TSA locks and they have a key for those so take extra locks in your carry on. use a service like Rifle Permits for your SAPS permit in So Africa (takes up to 30 days) and a meet and greet service they will have you preapproved and will walk you through the police dept with your permit in hand it is worth the cost, you can sue Gracey Travel from start to finish they know what is going on. remember covid pcr test has to be done no more than 72 hours of flying and you have to have they paper copy in hand at SA customs have fun, I fly in April to SA

hydehunter,
Thanks for you personal experience info. I didn't know about the Locked ammo box inside the checked bag.

that is per TSA regs, the airlines would let you put your ammo with the rifle but TSA says no and has to be locked and TSA locks, look it up go to TSA.com and look up weapons

Get the forms, fill them out and take forms and firearms to customs office (generally near airport). Customs checks serial nos. And signs forms. They don't check anything else and don't keep copies of the forms. The forms are just proof to TSA that they are your firearms. Forms are the same for any other expensive items you take in/out of the country as proof that you owned it before you left.

Keep one copy of forms on your person and on set locked in gun case with guns.

At the departing airport declare that you are traveling with firearms at baggage drop off. TSA will inspect the forms and guns to match serial nos, and verify unloaded. The TSA cannot inspect without you being present and don't just hand them the keys. Likely they take you and guns to a room to quickly inspect, then you check the guns with your baggage, likely with a sticker on the gun case stating firearms enclosed.

I've had guns come out with regular large item baggage claim and sometimes they are held in a more secure area. When passing through customs the forms/guns get checked again and you are on your way.

Airlines are used to people traveling with firearms, particularly international flights.

Ammo goes into checked bags separate from firearms. There is often a weight limit to ammo (per person/hunter) that can be brought into a country.

Tear up the forms when you are home. There's no record they ever existed.

Our group of four has been to Namibia twice and going back in 2023 for plains game hunting. TSA has checked our guns at every airport. I will say that they are friendly and very fast to check the form which I keep in the case plus two spare copies on me. This lady must have been a speed walker as we could barely keep up with her. But she assured us that our plane would not leave the airport until our rifles were on board. Excellent customer service on TSA's behalf! Be sure to split up your ammo with your buddies just in case a bag is misplaced. One member of our party had his luggage flown to Mexico instead of Namibia. It arrived the following day.

that is per TSA regs, the airlines would let you put your ammo with the rifle but TSA says no and has to be locked and TSA locks, look it up go to TSA.com and look up weapons
Ammo always goes in my rifle case from OH to MT. Never had an issue….always searched. Is international different?

I never lock a rifle case with TSA locks. I'm always available with the key, if you need to search it.

This was true as of November 2021….did something change?

The other year in traveling to Namibia. The TSA locks are junk. They want you, to use your own locks. The key stay with you. Don't go through England. They will take you firearm away. If you can get a direct flight from the the USA to the country you are going. Do it. A lot of the times going to Namibia you will going through South Africa to get there. You will never see your firearm until you get to Namibia. There you have to open the case up for inspection. They want to know that it's your case and the key is the proof. I get there a day early just be sure everything arrived there and I didn't get delayed somewhere on the way. Fights can get all screwed up in Africa. You don't have to do that, but that just me. Have a $150.00 cash or so to convert to their money. In South Africa you will need there money to purchase items. Get an international credit card so you won't get charge extra money using US Dollars conversion. Barclaycard US will work. That way you don't have to carry a bunch of cash.
The ammo is locked up in your rifle case with the rifle. Kind of funny to me. You end up with your rifle at the airport, with the ammo in the case. If a bad person, I feel that wouldn't work. As you are traveling your rifle will end up at customs. I would avoid NY. It's a pain in the ***. If nothing else fly into Germany. Been in Namibia twice. Make sure you have your permits from the guide to get your firearm at the Airport. They will want inspect the rifle. Be sure if there any lock ports on the case, have a lock there. They only want you to be able to unlock the case, not anybody else. Don't put the keys into other baggage. Have them on you. You could put a key in your carry on bag too.
BE SURE TO GET A TOP OF THE LINE RIFLE CASE. I watch several years ago an airlines person throw a rifle case to the ground several times. If I could have gotten to him. I would have Kick his ***. There wasn't anybody around to show what was going on. The weight amount is greater going overseas. Check with the airline on what they want also.

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457_0.pdf
    589.7 KB · Views: 120