Lite weight 30-06

ml williford

Going to Africa for the first time. Wanting a lite weight 30-06. Thought about a kimber but a lot of mixed reviews. I own a Remington 700 Sendaro but not a tote friendly gun. Ya'll have any advice on gun?

I have a 700 mountain in -06... ok for hunting but I get stringing after 2-3 rounds depending on ambiant temp due to the pencil barrel...it kicks more than my braked 7rm and has quite a bit of muzzle flip...I can still get 3/4 moa out of it but it's not easy to shoot.

I heard winchester make a nice "lightish" one, i think its called the extreme--- or tikka t3x lite or superlite seem to be popular. Rem7's are compact and light too. Plenty of options like barret fieldcraft, CA ridgeline, even a nula if you want custom etc-- lots available in the -06

Since you already have a Remington 700, I'd recommend you stick with that platform for your Africa hunt. You are already familiar and comfortable with the operation (trigger, safety, magazine loading/unloading, etc.) so why change things? COHUNT hit the nail on the head: Remington Model 700 Mountain SS (.30-06 is model #84275). If you just want something "different", then the Tikka T3X Lite Stainless would be my next choice.

Again, totally gotta agree with COHUNT on the recoil issues of a very light gun. I have a Rem 700 Titanium in .308 Win and that thing punishes me when the firing pin falls. But for a hunting gun where it is shot once (or twice) and carried a lot, I do love it.

Ti action Brown pounder stock with a magnaported on top and side only #1.5 20-22" Bartlien. talley rings lapped in for a 2.5-10nsx

I have a Winchester Featherweight that came from the factory in a McMillan stock. Has a VariXIII 2.5-8 with Premier Reticle mildot. I also had a Sims recoil pad installed. I have no problem shooting hot loaded 180gr Partitions in it. I'm thinking of moving up to 185gr Bergers or even try 208grs. It kicks, but it's very comfortable to carry and shoot.

I have a 700 mountain in -06... ok for hunting but I get stringing after 2-3 rounds depending on ambiant temp due to the pencil barrel...it kicks more than my braked 7rm and has quite a bit of muzzle flip...I can still get 3/4 moa out of it but it's not easy to shoot.

I heard winchester make a nice "lightish" one, i think its called the extreme--- or tikka t3x lite or superlite seem to be popular. Rem7's are compact and light too. Plenty of options like barret fieldcraft, CA ridgeline, even a nula if you want custom etc-- lots available in the -06
Thanks was hope to keep cost down as this is a once in a lifetime bucket list trip. Love my custom built 06 on Sendaro pattern but very heavy. Great for shooting but not for carrying long distance

Since you already have a Remington 700, I'd recommend you stick with that platform for your Africa hunt. You are already familiar and comfortable with the operation (trigger, safety, magazine loading/unloading, etc.) so why change things? COHUNT hit the nail on the head: Remington Model 700 Mountain SS (.30-06 is model #84275). If you just want something "different", then the Tikka T3X Lite Stainless would be my next choice.

Again, totally gotta agree with COHUNT on the recoil issues of a very light gun. I have a Rem 700 Titanium in .308 Win and that thing punishes me when the firing pin falls. But for a hunting gun where it is shot once (or twice) and carried a lot, I do love it.
based? Only issue with it is carrying it for miles while hiking. At 12+ lbs it does get very heavy. Other than that I love shooting it. It shoots dimes at 200 yards all day long.

I think you've misread my post Mr. ML WILLIFORD. I suggested sticking with a Rem 700 rifle PLATFORM, not your Sendero SPECIFICALLY. Note that I recommended the Remington 700 MOUNTAIN SS rifle for your trip as it weighs 6.2 lbs and you are already familiar with the functions of the 700 series guns.

Also, to clarify, the .30-06 Alaskan Titanium rifle is NOT mine. Someone else on this forum is selling it. I was just posting a link for you to find it. You would have to ask the seller directly about buying it w/o the scope, rings, or base on it. Good luck to you sir.