Lite weight 30-06

Just plains game, nothing that dangerous.

"For ME" I would get a Tikka T-3 in 30-06. It is super accurate, light to carry, handles fast and just put a Limbsaver Direct Replacement Recoil Pad(2 phillips screws) on it, buy an extra mag, top with a scope you set, my concern with this Remington ( and few others) is that with the push feed, CERTAIN ammo does not feed well and jams happen ... shoot straight, have a great time, and post LOTS of pictures!!!!

Uh...the Tikka T3 is ALSO a push-feed rifle. There will be no issues with a .30-06 Remington 700 feeding properly. It's fine to promote the Tikka (great guns) but I don't think it is cool to lead the man to believe a Rem 700 "might" fail or not work properly. Besides, he already owns one.

Remington 700s have been made since 1962. I'm pretty sure they've worked the bugs out. (And before that, since 1948, they were producing the model 721 & 722 series guns which, miraculously, managed to push-feed ammo without trouble even back then. Not Remington's first rodeo here.)

On my plains game hunt I rode in a truck most of the time. Very little walking. I'd check with your PH to get a feel for how much you will need to carry your rifle before buying another rifle if you are concerned. I shot 28 animals in 6 days of hunting. I shot all but 3 from the truck. Probably carried my rifle while hunting for less than a mile. I took 2 rifles with me in one hard case.

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguardr-wilderness.html

I own 2, .30-06 and .270... but like Cohunt said, I get stringing after 3 shots... stick to three shot roups and let the barrel cool and I can shoot sub MOA all day with the Barnes Vortx 168 Gr .30-06 factory load. Everyone of my Vanguards seem to love the factory Barnes loads, so much that when I buy a new rifle now it's the first manufacturer I try.

Define light weight. Get a regular Remington 700 and take it if concerned about weight. They don't weigh anything. Where you going in Africa. IF S. Africa, you won't be doing much walking anyway, as mostly driving, spot and short stalk. As noted , if you're not going to hunt Buff or Elephant, etc. 06 MORE than enough gun. Africa has like a 190 different animals you can hunt. 150 of them as small or smaller than a Pronghorn antelope. The largest Antelope you're likely to shoot, if a trophy hunter , is an Eland. They can be heavy, but also "soft" and an 06 will kill them fine. Mine too 1 shot, 165gr Nosler partition. Kudu about the same size as a smaller Elk, but also soft. Hit them where you should, just behind the shoulder, and they'll go down now. Impala run a 110 lbs or so, springbok, 75 or so Gemsbok 300 - 400 and if hit right, go down now. And Gemsbok/Oryx supposed to be tough. Then a whole lot of stuff in the 25-50 lb class. Most people over in RSA shoot a 308, 7x57, stuff like that. If I can get an e-mail address, can send photos of stuff. Also, DON'T go heavy on the bullets. In the 06, a 150gr Barnes Ttsx as good as it gets. Last time I was over (took god grandson) he shot a 308 with 130gr Ttsx and killed everything with one shot. Also not much in the way of "long" shots, most stuff within a 100 yds. We used a Winchester 88 in 308. Drop me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll shoot you back some pictures. Have also used a 280 Rem. with 140gr Ttsx. Killed like lightening. 066Waly right on the money.

I just went through this same drill. I wanted at least a 1:10 twist so I could stabilize heavies better so that rules out the Tikka for me. Pay attention to the twist rates if that matters to you as well... https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/help-choose-next-pack-rifle-3-options.215968/ Not for an African hunt but a light weight mountain rifle that I could use on anything from muleys to elk.

After looking at all the Kimbers and light weight offerings by Browning, Christensen Arms, Tikka, Weatherby, etc., I settle on the Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06 and so far, I am very happy with this rifle (just broken in and beginning load development). With a VX5HD 3-15 and rings, the whole package is right around 7lbs and feels like a feather. Even though it's super light, the design and quality recoil pad make it feel nearly the same as any other 30-06 I've ever shot over the years. Highly recommend this rifle and am thankful to other forum members for pushing me in this direction as well.

I also agree with 066wally!
After 4 trips to Zimbabwe for plains game and Leopard, I would take a rifle you are very very familiar with. Record Book quality targets of opportunity seem to happen very quickly when spotted and you need to be very confident on longer shots I.E. 500 yards plus if necessary with a 3006 and Partitions, A-frame ect. I personally use a Ruger #1 with a 26" brl. with an old 77 tang model as backup, lite, easy to carry and basic. I would also use a Rem 700, Weatherby, Savage whatever and not worry about weight that much. Very Good Glass around 4x15 would be more important to me. My sable was at 400m + with a lot of walking over 15 days to get close enough for a good one and I should have used a 338 (very tough hardy animal). Most all my other animals were shot less than 200 yard walk from the 4 wheeler. Carrying with a padded sling was not a problem, the high step walking through the bush was the taxing part. Shot placement, breath control and improvised support was key; I hate using wobbly shooting sticks but are a necessity. Buy a "Bog-pod" (if you haven't already) to take with you and practice standing on all kinds of uneven weird sand bags, rocks and stuff. I wish you the very best of luck on your hunt !!!, I can't wait to go back I'm addicted and now I want an Eland. Have a great day!
P.S. I Had 1 hunt in South Africa stayed in a lodge like a resort on a ranch all game ride up shoot take pics repeat felt like a caned hunt not for me . I would rather stay out in the bush in a semi primitive hut, food cooked on the camp fire and really hunt no fences to be seen in a long days drive.

Attachments

• DSCN3954.JPG
    DSCN3954.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Define light weight. Get a regular Remington 700 and take it if concerned about weight. They don't weigh anything. Where you going in Africa. IF S. Africa, you won't be doing much walking anyway, as mostly driving, spot and short stalk. As noted , if you're not going to hunt Buff or Elephant, etc. 06 MORE than enough gun. Africa has like a 190 different animals you can hunt. 150 of them as small or smaller than a Pronghorn antelope. The largest Antelope you're likely to shoot, if a trophy hunter , is an Eland. They can be heavy, but also "soft" and an 06 will kill them fine. Mine too 1 shot, 165gr Nosler partition. Kudu about the same size as a smaller Elk, but also soft. Hit them where you should, just behind the shoulder, and they'll go down now. Impala run a 110 lbs or so, springbok, 75 or so Gemsbok 300 - 400 and if hit right, go down now. And Gemsbok/Oryx supposed to be tough. Then a whole lot of stuff in the 25-50 lb class. Most people over in RSA shoot a 308, 7x57, stuff like that. If I can get an e-mail address, can send photos of stuff. Also, DON'T go heavy on the bullets. In the 06, a 150gr Barnes Ttsx as good as it gets. Last time I was over (took god grandson) he shot a 308 with 130gr Ttsx and killed everything with one shot. Also not much in the way of "long" shots, most stuff within a 100 yds. We used a Winchester 88 in 308. Drop me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll shoot you back some pictures. Have also used a 280 Rem. with 140gr Ttsx. Killed like lightening. 066Waly right on the money.
That's the animals I'm going to hunt. You've been extremely helpful. Eland, kudu, Gemsbuck are about the biggest on my list. Everything else is small. Can't afford a buf or leopard.
[email protected]

I also agree with 066wally!
After 4 trips to Zimbabwe for plains game and Leopard, I would take a rifle you are very very familiar with. Record Book quality targets of opportunity seem to happen very quickly when spotted and you need to be very confident on longer shots I.E. 500 yards plus if necessary with a 3006 and Partitions, A-frame ect. I personally use a Ruger #1 with a 26" brl. with an old 77 tang model as backup, lite, easy to carry and basic. I would also use a Rem 700, Weatherby, Savage whatever and not worry about weight that much. Very Good Glass around 4x15 would be more important to me. My sable was at 400m + with a lot of walking over 15 days to get close enough for a good one and I should have used a 338 (very tough hardy animal). Most all my other animals were shot less than 200 yard walk from the 4 wheeler. Carrying with a padded sling was not a problem, the high step walking through the bush was the taxing part. Shot placement, breath control and improvised support was key; I hate using wobbly shooting sticks but are a necessity. Buy a "Bog-pod" (if you haven't already) to take with you and practice standing on all kinds of uneven weird sand bags, rocks and stuff. I wish you the very best of luck on your hunt !!!, I can't wait to go back I'm addicted and now I want an Eland. Have a great day!
P.S. I Had 1 hunt in South Africa stayed in a lodge like a resort on a ranch all game ride up shoot take pics repeat felt like a caned hunt not for me . I would rather stay out in the bush in a semi primitive hut, food cooked on the camp fire and really hunt no fences to be seen in a long days drive.
After all the info I going to stick with my custom built 300wm and 30-06. Both on HS Precision stock, heavy barrel, timney trigger. I've been shooting both for a while quarter will cover 3 shot groups at 200 yards every time. But both are heavy 12lbs with sworviski 4x16 50, fluted and powder coated. Not guns I like to tote all day.
Thanks
ML

Going to Africa for the first time. Wanting a lite weight 30-06. Thought about a kimber but a lot of mixed reviews. I own a Remington 700 Sendaro but not a tote friendly gun. Ya'll have any advice on gun?

So here's a take for you. For reference I have a Winchester Ranger with a factory lightweight barrel in 30-06, it weighs 7lbs. Personally I would look at the Barrett Fieldcraft. Better QC than Kimber and plenty light. Another option is to take the stock off your gun and weigh it. Brown precision and Oregunsmithing make 16oz stocks and MPI makes them down to around 12. Also Tally ultralight rings

Recent Posts