Rifle length, weight, forgiveness. What is an easy to shoot hunting setup?

Cant find it. I'll try looking again later.

Does a high comb impact quick shots? Like if I jump a bedded bull and have almost no time to raise the gun and shoot?
I don't think it hampers snap shots, might help. Better fit should always help. Some kind of increased cheek support is imperative for long range.

Lots of guys with your height use slip on recoil pads to increase LOP. It ain't classy but it gets you by.

Cant find it. I'll try looking again later.

Does a high comb impact quick shots? Like if I jump a bedded bull and have almost no time to raise the gun and shoot?
You want a comb that allows your eye to be level with the scope. It doesn't have to be high. The other factor is the height of the mounting rings and bases. It all plays together. The rule of thumb is to strive to mount the scope as low as possible but still see through it comfortably. Most of the rifles you are looking at have pretty standard combs. You should be able to find a comfortable combination. There are add on pads if you need some height but I'd strive to use it as low as possible.

I hope you don't have to jump shoot many elk. It's not the best way to hunt them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I ran by a couple shops and handled some.

- Howa chassis rifle (oryx?). Not sure what to think of it. It would take some handling, the chassis setup was heavy and just not something I was used to. I liked the carbon barrel.
- Sako 20 long range. Same somewhat odd chassis type feel.
- Browning Mcmillan long range. 100% felt the best in hand. $2k is just too much right now.
- Bergara 14. 2nd best feel easily. Seemed like the best bang for the buck at 40% of the price of the browning.
- Tikka Roughtech, felt very "meh"
- Win model 70. Id put it behing the Bergara
- Sauer 100. Same level as the win 70.

I didnt get my hands on a Savage.
It's impossible to say which one will shoot great. In the price range you are looking at I've seen good results with Tikkas and Browning's recently. I have heard about firing pin issues with the lower Bergara line and some durability issues with bolt shrouds. Winchester has been really iffy on their barrels and accuracy performance. The Tikkas use their big brother Sako's barrel technology. Just my 2 cents.

You want a comb that allows your eye to be level with the scope. It doesn't have to be high. The other factor is the height of the mounting rings and bases. It all plays together. The rule of thumb is to strive to mount the scope as low as possible but still see through it comfortably. Most of the rifles you are looking at have pretty standard combs. You should be able to find a comfortable combination. There are add on pads if you need some height but I'd strive to use it as low as possible.

I hope you don't have to jump shoot many elk. It's not the best way to hunt them.
Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah, I don't want to jump them or shoot them at long but it's hunting and that stuff happens so I want to be prepared.

I don't think it hampers snap shots, might help. Better fit should always help. Some kind of increased cheek support is imperative for long range.

Lots of guys with your height use slip on recoil pads to increase LOP. It ain't classy but it gets you by.
That's a great tip!

Really starting to lean towards one of the Brownings X-Bolts.

1. Its familiar and felt comfortable.
2. I like the longer barrel and faster twist than the others.

I'll probably start with a lighter trigger spring and see how that goes. I am also looking at the Zeiss V4 and SIG BDX series. It seems the Leupold VX series does not have the best reputation for reliability and the Vortex LHT isn't any better than the V4 for the money.

I am open to criticism/suggestions. I really dont want to go too far upstream $$$ wise from what I outlined here though.

I like the X bolts. There will be some hater's I'm sure but X bolts are my go to hunting rifle. I have 2 and the triggers are the only problem I have with them but easy fix. Both of mine will shoot .75 all day every day. (Just keep the barrel cool)

………Ouch, no reloading. But you're right duckman, that bar is reachable for a lot of rounds. I wouldn't go PRC if you need several great shooting options from factory ammo. Hornady ammo is good, but it's not generally capable of the level of accuracy you need to shoot to 600 on smaller targets. I know it says match on the box, but case prep is a big weak link with them and I don't think it's capable. .75 moa to 1.2, lot to lot. Elk... maybe. But I wouldn't. Maybe Hornady is good enough in some guns, I dunno. I just wish they did a little bit better because they could be amazing with just a little more effort. You could make a belt buckle and a zippo case with the flash hole shavings from 100 fired ……………

For long range hunting beyond 600 yards, IMO, the above post hits the nail on the head. Factory ammo introduces uncertainty into the equation. The most perfectly fitted and balanced rifle in the world is diminished if the bullet can't be counted on to be directed to the vitals under all the conditions that one is likely to encounter during the hunt. For long range funning with steel, and some types of competition, factory loads can work just fine and are suitable for hunting at mid range. For LRH, particularly under a variety conditions, IMO, the consistency may be questionable, and the factory recipe is likely not optimized for your particular rifles 'window of performance". If one is lucky, and it does happen to be optimized, will this be the case with a different lot, or the "one" cartridge that could be off-spec? I think this aspect comes into play, and luck has no place when you are on the sixth day of a hunt in sub-zero temps, seeking that one opportunity that will likely be a looong shot on that elusive buck…….This was surely one of those cases……Note his preferred terrain.
086EA338-9183-48DE-8165-888AECE71B2B.jpeg

I am looking at building my first long range western hunting rifle. At what point do you feel extra weight, length, other factors start to give diminishing returns when shooting at extended ranges?

To put this in archery terms (more familiar to me). I shoot a long/heavy bow. 39" ATA, 7" brace height 4.7lbs bare and I shoot it so much better than my smaller/lighter hunting bow (34" 3.9lbs) that I gladly deal with the extra weight and length because of that added range it buys me. This is something I am looking to duplicate with a rifle, assuming it helps.

I am young, strong and tall if that matters and will gladly carry a rifle that is 2lbs heavier and 4" longer if I can extend my usable range by 200 yards (or what have you) but I dont know how well that translates. 10lbs scoped and 26" tube with a brake is probably the max? Less? Maybe I am missing something?

I fully understand that a short/light setup is just as inherently accurate but I am not a perfect shooter so if I can "buy back" some forgiveness that is what I am looking to do.

What say you?
With most cartridges up to the traditional magnums, a 26" barrel will work fine. If I were building a rifle that used an ultra-magnum, I'd consider 28" barrel length. I would want a medium contour barrel, with muzzle diameter nudging 3/4" or a little larger. This would most likely bring the weight up to more than 10# but under 16# with a reasonable stock.

Really starting to lean towards one of the Brownings X-Bolts.

1. Its familiar and felt comfortable.
2. I like the longer barrel and faster twist than the others.

I'll probably start with a lighter trigger spring and see how that goes. I am also looking at the Zeiss V4 and SIG BDX series. It seems the Leupold VX series does not have the best reputation for reliability and the Vortex LHT isn't any better than the V4 for the money.

I am open to criticism/suggestions. I really dont want to go too far upstream $$$ wise from what I outlined here though.
The leupolds have a great reputation! And probably the best customer service in the industry. They are not the fanciest new things on the clock but they just flat work. I probably have 12-15 Leupolds and they are as solid as any of my Nightforces, Vortex's, Zeus's or Swarovski's. Look at the VX 6 it is incredible

The leupolds have a great reputation! And probably the best customer service in the industry. They are not the fanciest new things on the clock but they just flat work. I probably have 12-15 Leupolds and they are as solid as any of my Nightforces, Vortex's, Zeus's or Swarovski's. Look at the VX 6 it is incredible
Agreed. I have a vx6 and 5. Excellent scopes and zero issues. Clear, bright, high quality, good features, and give up nothing to my nf scopes except much lighter. I've beat the crap out of my vx6 and it's solid.

Agreed. I have a vx6 and 5. Excellent scopes and zero issues. Clear, bright, high quality, good features, and give up nothing to my nf scopes except much lighter. I've beat the crap out of my vx6 and it's solid.

Interesting. It seems like a lot of guys have issues with them tracking properly. At least that's what some forums depict...

I really like reliability.

Interesting. It seems like a lot of guys have issues with them tracking properly. At least that's what some forums depict...

I really like reliability.
Is it leupold in general or specific models? I don't know a lot of guys running the 6 but many comp guys running the mark 5. I know they are different to a degree but I've not any leupold issues in the last 5 years that stand out. Just personal experience I've run this scope 3 years and around 5000 rounds fired. Shoot 500-1200 the most and occasionally out to 1600. Only issue with this model is 38 moa plus 20 reticle. Limits me 1500-1600 depending on where I shoot. It has never lost zero and I've never had an issue truing. It's my go to scope for hunting for sure. I put a 5 on my long range pistol and it's been solid too. Not a big fan of the wind plex reticle that's in it tho.