Rifle length, weight, forgiveness. What is an easy to shoot hunting setup?

I looked through a Swaro Z5, Leupo VX-5hd and Zeiss V4.

Hands down the Zeiss V4 was the winner. Not that it was much, if any, better/worse than the swaro but it was right there and $800 less. The vx5 seemed a step back from those two. I really liked the CDS though.
Yeah the coatings may be what your view was telling you. The coating on the Zeiss optics tend to be bright white, the swaros tend to be blueish/green and Leupold tends to be amber. Quality wise the ones you looked at are fairly similar. Zeiss recently improved the V4 by putting a covered windage on it. For hunting you don't want your turrets moving from pack around the rifle. The 4-16 Zeiss is very similar in quality to the VX3i 4.5-14 30mm side focus. But the lens coatings are different so for your eyes the whitier Zeiss coating may work better. Burris higher end scopes have a similar coating to the Zeiss.

Will do.

The more I look at it the more "affordable" one of these $1500-2000 guns is. By the time you get a tikka/browning that's threaded, cerakoted/stainless, trigger spring and in a good stock you're right up there. Even then you are still not quite on the level of a Christensen or Seekens with the barrel and trigger. Hmmm, I am really wishing I held the Havak.
Yeah that makes sense. It's easy to see the rationale in buying that but it does get up there in a hurry. And it leaves you with limited personal expression if that matters to you. It makes it easy to see why a lot of folks buy a used gun as a build platform and have the work done over time to their liking. Both have their advantages.

Yeah the coatings may be what your view was telling you. The coating on the Zeiss optics tend to be bright white, the swaros tend to be blueish/green and Leupold tends to be amber. Quality wise the ones you looked at are fairly similar. Zeiss recently improved the V4 by putting a covered windage on it. For hunting you don't want your turrets moving from pack around the rifle. The 4-16 Zeiss is very similar in quality to the VX3i 4.5-14 30mm side focus. But the lens coatings are different so for your eyes the whitier Zeiss coating may work better. Burris higher end scopes have a similar coating to the Zeiss.
Well. I was inside at a Bass Pro Shops and I did have to wait 2 hours (after driving 1hr 45mins) to handle guns then scopes. Far less than ideal for viewing and frankly I was tired.

Do any of those coatings do better out west for hunting?

I hunt East Coast Whitetail Deer mostly , so my opinion may not be valid here. I happen to LOVE my Weatherby Ultralight Rifle, with its 24 Inch Fluted S/S barrel, chambered in 270 Win. 5 and 3/4 pound rifle with a Synthetic Stock. I use Leupold 2 piece steel Rings and Bases because I think they are strong and secure, and usually have a Leupold Vari X 3 2.5X to 8 X . once in a while change to the Leupold 4.5X to 14 X scope with a 30 mm main tube. I could not imagine a better Whitetail hunting rig for what I do. Seems like the perfect tool !!! If I go on a hunt where the shots will be over 300 yards or the game is bigger, heavier and tougher, then I will use a different Rifle./ Caliber / Scope combo. Love to attach a picture, but the sight won't let me do that today???

Well. I was inside at a Bass Pro Shops and I did have to wait 2 hours (after driving 1hr 45mins) to handle guns then scopes. Far less than ideal for viewing and frankly I was tired.

Do any of those coatings do better out west for hunting?
The coating colors are sort of a personal preference. The real advantage is to have a scope that will cut glare. Same with binos. Shots looking west in the afternoons and east in the mornings can be hampered by glare. If you can look the the Scopes with sun edging in the force glare you'll be able to tell.

Speaking of coatings and colors. This is the Weatherby Ultralight , in 270 Win. I mentioned earlier. Its factory stock was a spider web grey stock, and then I had it Hydro Dipped in a Non Reflective Snow Camo, just because!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2569Weathwrby Ultralight Pic 1 Dec 24th  2019.JPG
    IMG_2569Weathwrby Ultralight Pic 1 Dec 24th 2019.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • photo (19).JPG
    photo (19).JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 15
Grabbed the X-bolt with the adjustable comb stock and a VX-5HD 3-15x44. I got a good deal with a demo scope so it can always be resold but season is approaching and I need to get behind it. MCARBO spring kit is on order.

However, scope rings... I was looking at the Talley low's with the anti-cant indicator. I my dad and I both use those with good success, however I dont know much about the anti-cant. Probably worht a try for $30 I figure? If there is some thing better chime in!

Grabbed the X-bolt with the adjustable comb stock and a VX-5HD 3-15x44. I got a good deal with a demo scope so it can always be resold but season is approaching and I need to get behind it. MCARBO spring kit is on order.

However, scope rings... I was looking at the Talley low's with the anti-cant indicator. I my dad and I both use those with good success, however I dont know much about the anti-cant. Probably worht a try for $30 I figure? If there is some thing better chime in!
So I am a fan of anti cant, however I always find the ones on top of the rings makes me adjust my position to confirm level. I personally have not found one I can maintain hold, and see without some movement more then just eyeballs. This could be my scope choice, all NXS's of some manner.

However I do own both ones for my Talley and my Hawkins as I still like to know. I just check in the beginning and force myself not to look before taking the shot.

So I am a fan of anti cant, however I always find the ones on top of the rings makes me adjust my position to confirm level. I personally have not found one I can maintain hold, and see without some movement more then just eyeballs. This could be my scope choice, all NXS's of some manner.

However I do own both ones for my Talley and my Hawkins as I still like to know. I just check in the beginning and force myself not to look before taking the shot.

Yeah, I could see that being an issue. This build is me dipping my toes into "long-range" so that will probably work.

When I am ready to drop $5k+ and start reloading, then, I'll buy one of the scopes that has one built in.

Yeah, I could see that being an issue. This build is me dipping my toes into "long-range" so that will probably work.

When I am ready to drop $5k+ and start reloading, then, I'll buy one of the scopes that has one built in.
I actually don't think I have ever owned one built in, though a VX6 is interesting. I usually get a rail mounted one on rifles with some sort of rail, or a scope tube mounted one that puts it off to the side of the scope inline with my non dominant eye. In Canada they are about 50 bucks... so they must be near free down there!!

Awesome, glad you found one you liked.

I've had good luck with burris tactical style rings that go on a rail or weaver mounts. Currently have the vortex version of the same thing, also good. I don't love tactical stuff in general and they are NOT handsome but they're reasonably cheap. They are also VERY easy to use and hard to screw up. And pretty bombproof. I also like being able to take the scope off if I want to monkey around with something. They go back on to zero really slick. Having a rail on isn't awesome but it's not too bad, plus it gets you that 20 moa boost for dialing. Not that you'll need that. I thought about going to split weaver style but I just can't justify messing with what I've got going.

As far as anti-cant I like the vortex bubble level. It sticks out decently into your off-eye fov, no moving required and it has no moving parts.