Barrel Length and Stock Weight Considerations

winelines - you've got the start of a sweet rig there. Be sure that once you have it together, post some pics on this board so we can see your creation. Then the rest of us can take credit for the parts we advised you on ;)

I started this thread last year when I was starting a 7MM Wby build - my first project. Well, it is complete and here is the result.

After sifting through all the answers to my questions and other posts on this site, I settled on a 27 inch, #5 fluted, 1 in 9", Lilja barrel and a B&C Medalist stock (same as factory Accumarks) to go with my Weatherby Mark V action (from an American .300Wby Sporter). On it, I put a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 scope with target turrets and a mil-dot reticle. I mounted it with Warne medium rings on a Near base (10MOA). I had the leade cut for a 180gr Berger VLD hunting bullet and kept the .300 magazine box so I could use a longer COL. I was aiming to come in at 11 lbs (before sling and bipod) and hit it right on the button. I changed out the Warne rings - they were a little high – and replaced them with Leupold PRW low rings. Now I can get a good cheek meld with the stock.

Last fall, in another thread here, I requested a recommendation for a local gunsmith. Buffalobob recommended Eddie Harren, who did the work for me.
Thanks to all for their help while I was working my way through all the tradeoffs, and a special thanks to Buffalobob; Eddie was a pleasure to work with and I am very happy with the product. In fact, he is now in the process of helping me cure some problems with my .270WSM Sako.

I have had a couple of limited range sessions with the gun, which I have used to home in on a powder and charge range. But it looks like it will be a shooter and I am confident that once I work my way through all the loading variables, I will have exactly what I was hoping for. Fine tuning the load will be a great project for the rest of the winter.

Thanks again to all for their help and time. I learned a lot. This was my first project – but it won't be my last.

P3050052.jpg

P3050054.jpg

I am glad you enjoyed the experience. Hopefully the rifle will like the 180 Bergers.

I shot RL 22 in my 7 Wby and it seemed to like it. Dirty burning powder but shoots well. Nosler 160 AB have a long bearing surface and would be a good bullet to try also.

I started this thread last year when I was starting a 7MM Wby build - my first project. Well, it is complete and here is the result.

After sifting through all the answers to my questions and other posts on this site, I settled on a 27 inch, #5 fluted, 1 in 9", Lilja barrel and a B&C Medalist stock (same as factory Accumarks) to go with my Weatherby Mark V action (from an American .300Wby Sporter). On it, I put a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 scope with target turrets and a mil-dot reticle. I mounted it with Warne medium rings on a Near base (10MOA). I had the leade cut for a 180gr Berger VLD hunting bullet and kept the .300 magazine box so I could use a longer COL. I was aiming to come in at 11 lbs (before sling and bipod) and hit it right on the button. I changed out the Warne rings - they were a little high – and replaced them with Leupold PRW low rings. Now I can get a good cheek meld with the stock.

Last fall, in another thread here, I requested a recommendation for a local gunsmith. Buffalobob recommended Eddie Harren, who did the work for me.
Thanks to all for their help while I was working my way through all the tradeoffs, and a special thanks to Buffalobob; Eddie was a pleasure to work with and I am very happy with the product. In fact, he is now in the process of helping me cure some problems with my .270WSM Sako.

I have had a couple of limited range sessions with the gun, which I have used to home in on a powder and charge range. But it looks like it will be a shooter and I am confident that once I work my way through all the loading variables, I will have exactly what I was hoping for. Fine tuning the load will be a great project for the rest of the winter.

Thanks again to all for their help and time. I learned a lot. This was my first project – but it won't be my last.

P3050052.jpg

P3050054.jpg
wineline,
I'm from Maryland and noticed you are too. I'm in the beginning stages of my first custom LRH rifle and was able to get alot of info from the guys on your thread also. Are they great or what? I'm looking for a good gunsmith and saw that you found one. Could you or Buffalobob point me in his direction as well? Thanks for your time and hopefully my rig will end up as nice as yours. With the experts on this site that have helped you and me, I think my odds are very good.

wineline,
I'm from Maryland and noticed you are too. I'm in the beginning stages of my first custom LRH rifle and was able to get alot of info from the guys on your thread also. Are they great or what? I'm looking for a good gunsmith and saw that you found one. Could you or Buffalobob point me in his direction as well? Thanks for your time and hopefully my rig will end up as nice as yours. With the experts on this site that have helped you and me, I think my odds are very good.

jbcarter - I live in VA. Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles in PA is currently working on my next custom build. I have seen many rifles that he has build. He does exceptional work and at reasonable prices. Check him out at:

Montour County Rifles

Kevin also posts on this board. Search for him in the Gun Photos section and you will find many examples of his work.

jbcarter - I live in VA. Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles in PA is currently working on my next custom build. I have seen many rifles that he has build. He does exceptional work and at reasonable prices. Check him out at:

Montour County Rifles

Kevin also posts on this board. Search for him in the Gun Photos section and you will find many examples of his work.

Thanks for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.