Building A Rifle This Easy?

Zen Archery

I've had a Savage 110 Long Action sitting around for over 5 years. I've started a build/parts list.
I've also been itching for a 22-250.
What am I missing.? I'm debating parts versus my builder doing it. His starting labor price is $250.00. Part of me really want to try it myself. I'm not looking for a precision custom build (reason I'm avoiding my builder).
I'm also thinking I could ask around for tools for a one time build.
16C49E2C-B0FD-400D-9D70-ECBF5E6D30D0.jpeg

once you have the tools and have did a few you can change a savage barrel in ten minutes. you don't need a barrel vice just the action wrench and it is the same as Remington. I milled a slot in it so I don't even have to take the scope rail off. mount action wrench in vice secure action and loosen nut, spin off barrel, put new lug and nut on new barrel screw into action put gauge in chamber close bolt and tighten barrel snug nut check with no-go and finish tighten nut. pretty simple
I would go with at least a 1-8 twist and plan on going single shot trying to go that short has its problems on a savage long action with a cartridge that short
get the new six sided nut and just use an open end wrench and save on a nut wrench. a pipe wrench will get the old one off.
total cost will be action wrench and your gauges and you can rent those plus barrel of choice and nut and lug

One of the biggest advantage of owning a savage is the ability to do barrel swaps with very little investment. I want to caution you of a few things....1. The sort of things that you are doing, if not done properly, can be dangerous to you, physically, and economically. Be sure you do lots of homework, and ask lots of questions, and stop if you have any doubts about what you are doing. 2. I've not personally not built a 22-250 on a long action, so i don't know how well it actually works. If done right it will definately go bang, and will probably eject just fine. However, one of the finer points of custom rifle building is getting the rifle to feed properly and reliably. If you are willing to toy around with different followers, and such, I'm sure you can make it work. 3. Lastly, and maybe the most stern warning I can give you is to apply lots of bug spray before starting your build. If you happen to get bit by the barrel swap bug, it will detrimental to your personal finances as well as those of all of your friends. It can also be damaging to your marriage when you struggle to restrain yourself from making purchases of cool swap barrels. Lastly, you may have trouble keeping your job when you are up all night searching forums looking for cool barrels to swap, and can't be effective in your every day work life. Consider yourself warned. If you need any advice please reach out.

3. Lastly, and maybe the most stern warning I can give you is to apply lots of bug spray before starting your build. If you happen to get bit by the barrel swap bug, it will detrimental to your personal finances as well as those of all of your friends. It can also be damaging to your marriage when you struggle to restrain yourself from making purchases of cool swap barrels. Lastly, you may have trouble keeping your job when you are up all night searching forums looking for cool barrels to swap, and can't be effective in your every day work life. Consider yourself warned. If you need any advice please reach out.
Any generic spray work or do I need to look at some black market made in the jungles of a 3rd world country type of spray? 👀🤣

It's easy. I did one last year. I purchased everything I needed from James at Northland Shooters Supply. I did a Remage since I purchased a Rem 700 Action, but the plan was to rebarrel my 2 Savage rifles in the future, so purchasing the barrel/action vice and barrel nut wrench made sense.
Aren't you located in Texas? I live in San Antonio, so PM me if you're not too far from me.

It has to be 100% deet to have a chance. In fact, about 5 years ago I asked the question if there was a 12 step.program.for this shooting addiction and the answer I got was " of course"

Step one.....deprive
Step two....clean the case
Step three....anneal........

You get the idea......not much support for those trying to quit the habit on this forum!

As stated, it IS addictive.

I was in denial when I started, thinking things like... "I'll just do it once" and "I can stop any time I want".

True story.

But another actual unexpected side effect for me is that I basically have 0% interest in ANY factory centerfire rifle now. What's the point in a generic, run of the mill rifle when you can have one with the exact chambering, twist rate, and profile/weight you want, that's pretty much guaranteed to shoot really well?

It's a bit of a blessing and a curse.

pretty easy to build yourself even if you're even a little bit mechanically inclined. i've probably built 15+ AR's so i figured this would be pretty easy. cabelas had 700 ADL's on sale for $319 after mail in rebate, i was in it less than $300 after i took the barrel off and sold it to someone on here. i threw on a 16", 1-10, .308 barrel from KAK industries that used the savage style nut. i bought a go-gauge from brownells and put a piece of cellophane tape on the back to act as a no-go gauge. i built a barrel vise with some 2x2x.250 wall box tube i had laying around and two 5/8" bolts. found an action wrench from somewhere online and the barrel came with a nut and wrench. it's not a tack driver but it'll shoot 1moa and that's all i need. i only use it to hunt whitetails and run my suppressor.

Attachments

• IMG_6439.jpg
    IMG_6439.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 94