New to shooting/hunting rifle ?'s

jj303

With so many manufacturers..countless forums..how does one make an educated decision..

Looking for suggestions..
-Quality rifle
-Made in USA
-300WM
-<$2000

Would like to purchase once for a lifetime investment.

Intended use in CO..Mules and Elk..maybe distance shots someday if I attain the skill level.

jj303,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I'm sure there are plenty others to choose from but Savage 11XXs (I have the older 111F), Remington 700s/Senderos, and TC Icons are hard to beat.

ADDED: My Ruger M77 MKII is very accurate but it's a .338WM.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
get a remington sendero . second choice a remington sendero. next a winchester laredo. the winchester model 70 super grade and the remington 700 cdl would be next choice. be sure to have a the trigger adjusted. have a vais installed. mount a good quality scope. enjoy.

I'm not sure one can make an educated decision with all the information and misinformation out there.
If you know a hunter/shooter offer to buy lunch and ammo and make a time to shoot. I don't know where you're from, but if there is a local range go watch. If there's a Range Officer let him know your dilemma. Taken as whole shooters are a pretty windy bunch. If there's a club house listen respectfully. If you have questions ask. If you have no experience don't parrot someone else's opinion. If you get rejected take it gracefully.
With a little luck you might find someone to let you "try" their rifle. At that point you can
begin the basis of an informed opinion.
If you're anywhere near Spokane, WA. I'd take you to the range and let you fire a few through a variety of rifles.
If the above doesn't work for you. I've had very good luck recommending the synthetic stocked Rugers with Leupold scopes to the new guys in our group.
Other old guys-it's not doing us any good locked in the safe. Invite someone new or at least be open to the opportunity to teach.

Thanks for the replies!

The Sendero sure is popular on this forum! Pushing beyond the $1000 mark I am curious how the Sendero compares to the Nosler TGR for a few hundred more? Any thoughts out there?

The Savage 111 Long Range Hunter sounds interesting..thoughts?

HARPERC..thanks for the offer. I am in Colorado..would take you up if the distance were shorter. I will look into shooting clubs..good idea.

Welcome to LRH,, I have 3 Savage rifles and could not be happier. They shoot great out of the box, lots of ways to customize them and you can do most of the work your self..

Another vote for the Sendero, i have seen several of these go for around the 800 dollar mark in the classified adds lately. If i had the extra money laying around i would have picked them up just cause.

get a remington sendero . second choice a remington sendero. next a winchester laredo. the winchester model 70 super grade and the remington 700 cdl would be next choice. be sure to have a the trigger adjusted. have a vais installed. mount a good quality scope. enjoy.

May I ask what a VAIS is.
geno

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.