Remove Mfg Address From Action

I had found some of that information on the web while researching the subject. That is one of the things that led to me asking my questions.

Based on that information it seems, if the Gunsmith is the Mfg, he can do whatever he wants to the receiver.

But if his machining removes the original mfg address, does he put the original mfg address back on it or does he put his address on it?

What actions have the address on them?

All of the custom actions I can remember seeing have an address on them. I own a BAT, a Defiance, and a Surgeon that do.

Hmmmm...city and state maybe, I was thinking an actual full address.

What factory actions? I would think that's what you would be modifying anyway, not a custom?

Hmmmm...city and state maybe, I was thinking an actual full address.

What factory actions? I would think that's what you would be modifying anyway, not a custom?
I don't know about actions on factory built rifles. The ones I can remember have the address on the barrels.

I would be modifying a custom.

When doing custom machining on a receiver, is it legal to remove the address of the manufacturer from the receiver?

If it is illegal to remove it, is it legal to remove it and engrave it back on at a different spot?
I would check with ATF! Sounds to me like any attempt to alter or cover up manufacturer stamping would be EXTREMELY negative in the eyes of Uncle Sam and could lead to confiscation and possible charges!

I don't know about actions on factory built rifles. The ones I can remember have the address on the barrels.

I would be modifying a custom.

Oh, that's weird but ok. I would just have them build it to my specs from the beginning if that's the case.

I had found some of that information on the web while researching the subject. That is one of the things that led to me asking my questions.

Based on that information it seems, if the Gunsmith is the Mfg, he can do whatever he wants to the receiver.

But if his machining removes the original mfg address, does he put the original mfg address back on it or does he put his address on it?
No, it doesn't work that way. You might have a workaround by applying for a variance, but he definitely doesn't get to "do whatever he wants to the receiver" Not if he loves his dog.

There are explainable reasons for not altering the receiver IDs because they are the controlling/registered piece of the firearm. the barrel, stock, trigger are not. you can even change the bolt.

They are used to track a firearm from the manufacture to the end user, so as long as you don't alter IDs on the receiver, there is no problem. You may remove the original number and place it somewhere else, but it is still altered and could become a case for controversy.

I am surprised that the depth requirement has changed because it was decided that .007 was deep enough because even if the serial number is ground off a simple acid etch can bring the numbers back because the stamping process compresses the material below the actual number and the denser area of the metal is not effected by the acid etch as much as the original area.

Just saying

J E CUSTOM

Then how come so many companies do this and even advertise all over the internet, INCLUDING this website.?

126155.jpeg
126154.jpeg

Now comes some more confusion. A "gunsmith" can operate under ATFE rules with a 01 Dealers License, 07 being a Manufacturers License. Then, along comes the DDTC (a division of the State Department, which deals with the USML) which declares a "gunsmith" to be a "manufacturer", yet the "gunsmith" may still have a 01Dealers License issued by ATFE. Conflicting requirements from 2 different 'alphabet' agencies.

Oh, that's weird but ok. I would just have them build it to my specs from the beginning if that's the case.
Custom actions can't be ordered beyond the programing, many reasons to cut into a custom action, drop porting or dual porting are most common.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.