Remove Mfg Address From Action

Custom actions can't be ordered beyond the programing, many reasons to cut into a custom action, drop porting or dual porting are most common.

Sure they can, you might have to purchase a certain amount of them but it can and is done regularly.

Then how come so many companies do this and even advertise all over the internet, INCLUDING this website.?

View attachment 133790 View attachment 133791
Because they don't know any better because they have not bothered to investigate the rules. Upon inspection by ATFE (and by excepting that FFL you agree to a formal inspection by ATFE inspectors once a year, and at their convenience), their minds might get changed for them! In the spring of 2020 I will have had a FFL in the same location for 21yrs. In these past years I have seen many others loose their FFL (and livelihood) because they have not bothered to investigate the rules that must be followed if you are going to have that FFL. Simple rules at that! redleg1013 had no trouble providing a portion of the rules, but there seems to be many that don't even open the 'book'. If ya' can't find it "in the book" or on the ATFE web site, a call to your local ATFE office may get you an answer to your question or it may get you information as to where you can get the answer to your question.

Because they don't know any better because they have not bothered to investigate the rules. Upon inspection by ATFE (and by excepting that FFL you agree to a formal inspection by ATFE inspectors once a year, and at their convenience), their minds might get changed for them! In the spring of 2020 I will have had a FFL in the same location for 21yrs. In these past years I have seen many others loose their FFL (and livelihood) because they have not bothered to investigate the rules that must be followed if you are going to have that FFL. Simple rules at that! redleg1013 had no trouble providing a portion of the rules, but there seems to be many that don't even open the 'book'. If ya' can't find it "in the book" or on the ATFE web site, a call to your local ATFE office may get you an answer to your question or it may get you information as to where you can get the answer to your question.

Except the companies doing it have been doing it for YEARS and obviously have been inspected before...

Except the companies doing it have been doing it for YEARS and obviously have been inspected before...
In the 20 years I have had a license I have had an inspection exactly once. Just because ATFE can inspect once a year doesn't mean the will. It works on a computer generated lottery as to who is up for inspection next. Some have never been inspected, even after many, many years.

A local gunsmith, who ran a bluing shop, not far from me lost his license after 28yrs. ,because he wasn't recording acquisitions and dispositions correctly. He was only recording the persons name and phone number. He, also, sold a Caspian 1911 frame to another that was a "Curio & Relics" license holder, without filling out a 4473 and doing a background check. Cost him his license and his business livelihood. He was only inspected that one time in those 28yrs. Simple violations that could have/should have been avoided with a bit of investigation of "the rules".

I know one thing, FFL/BATF questions are a dangerous thing in the internet!! The only answer that matters is the one in writing from a local BATF agent!!!
You sure?

As any "bump stock" manufacture if "getting it in writing" has any bearing on legality.

Just because it's in writing doesnt mean it's legal now does it? If they change their mind, then everything changes

Oh, that's weird but ok. I would just have them build it to my specs from the beginning if that's the case.

Sure they can, you might have to purchase a certain amount of them but it can and is done regularly.

How about you order me a couple of Defiance Deviant Hunter medium length actions. Have them made from Chromoly with round, instead of slabbed, bodies and Remington extractors.

Last edited:
How about you order me a couple of Defiance Deviant Hunter medium length actions. Have them made from Chromoly with round, instead of slabbed, bodies and Remington extractors.

So you basically want a Rem 700?

Call up Jim Borden, he'll make what you're looking for.

You sure?

As any "bump stock" manufacture if "getting it in writing" has any bearing on legality.

Just because it's in writing doesnt mean it's legal now does it? If they change their mind, then everything changes

If the rules are changed, which they do, you have to comply but if your in an area that seems unclear asking the questions and getting the answer on a legal document makes things a whole lot easier when someone is looking at your stuff. Just because something is legal one day does not mean it is forevermore, if your involved in the gun industry it's up to the licence holder to stay legal, that may mean change or getting a variance but it happens just fine all the time!!

Last edited:
So you basically want a Rem 700?

Call up Jim Borden, he'll make what you're looking for.

A Remington 700 that was machined nice and true, with an integral lug, integral scope bases, one piece bolt with an integral handle, an .062" firing pin, and an anti bind rail would accommodate my taste.

Most of those features are missing from a Borden action.

A number of years ago, I post on Gun Broker a beautiful Win High Wall. The rilfe was chambered for a 6mm/225 Winchester. Great round.

A gun in Utah bought it.

The the question came up about going thru an FFL to dros it.

The action was built before 1900, but did not have a serial number becasue the bottom tang had be cut off and replaced by a different one to match the stock configuation.

So I called ATF and described the rifle as a Winchester 1885 High Wall with a modern barrel, stock, and trigger system. Asked it would be classified as a modern rifle or a realic? (better to be safe than sorry).

The agent acted confused so I asked "Are you familiar with a Winchester 1885?"

I got back "I have heard of a Winchester!" Huh........

That is that last time I will ever ask ATF a question.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.