Remove Mfg Address From Action

Edd

When doing custom machining on a receiver, is it legal to remove the address of the manufacturer from the receiver?

If it is illegal to remove it, is it legal to remove it and engrave it back on at a different spot?

I dont think so. From what I understand Gunsmiths are not allowed to disturb a frame or reciever outside the manufacturing process.

Last edited:
When doing custom machining on a receiver, is it legal to remove the address of the manufacturer from the receiver?

If it is illegal to remove it, is it legal to remove it and engrave it back on at a different spot?

Yes, you just can't remove the serial number.

Look how many Rems get "slabbed" and the name etc gets removed.

Actually, I can't think of any factory actions that have the address of the manufacturer on it?

Last edited:
So I'm looking at this from my view of registering NFA items. Any "form 1" or user "manufactured" firearms must display an engraved name, city, and state. I'd vote it would be a poor choice to grind away the manufacturer's city and state.

Edit to account for my poor reading skills. If you're removing it and reloacating it I'd imagine no one would ever be the wiser but it's got to be some sort of grey area.

morning, on the older Rem's the address was on the barrel.
u can not remove the serial # and move. the batfe will
ask why u removed the serial # and relocate??
the could change the serial # is what they gestopoe would
say!! justme gbot tum

Heres the regulations on markings manufacturers put on in a way that are suppose to be so there not altered, obliterated or removed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190511-055539_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190511-055539_Chrome.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 249
Heres the regulations on markings manufacturers put on in a way that are suppose to be so there not altered, obliterated or removed.
I'm not an Attorney so my best guess is, that seems to answer the first part of my question but not the second part.

It says altered, so im not an attorney either but if you remove and put back thats altering is my guess.

I would not advise removing any model or serial number on a receiver.
It would open you up to many questions from the ATF and if you changed the use (A rifle to a pistol) you would be in violation.

I don't know why or for what reason you would need to remove these
ID's. If you do this you could/would become the/A manufacture and that would require a manufactures FFL licences.

In today's atmosphere, that could be risky.

In My Opinion, I would not recommend it.

J E CUSTOM

It says altered, so im not an attorney either but if you remove and put back thats altering is my guess.
I guess that's why Attorneys get the big bucks. I don't interpret "not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed" as "can't be remarked in a different spot in such a way that it is not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed".

I would think that It could be construed as altered from design, removed safety margin, stolen, counter fit product, In violation of Patent, used in a crime and modified to hide the weapons owner from prosecution, ETC.

Also If you sold the weapon and the new owner blew it up you could be held responsible. I know it sounds like lawyer talk, but nowadays we have to look out for ourselves.

I think it would/could open up a can of worms and I would just not do it even though it might be legal in some interpretations.

J E CUSTOM

According to that, you probably shouldn't be able to rebarrel a factory rifle...since technically you are removing the address and cartridge it's chambered for...

Call your local ATF agent and ask for clarification, I have a couple times and hes been really helpful or ask yourself if it's worth the risk.

According to that, you probably shouldn't be able to rebarrel a factory rifle...since technically you are removing the address and cartridge it's chambered for...

Re barreling is considered maintenance and the only requirement is that the barrel be stamped a minimum of .007 thousandths deep with the correct identification of the chambering. (This is very important and required) the address of the manufacture is not important because they didn't do the re barrel and as long as the serial number and manufacture is on the receiver it would be redundant.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.