Remove Mfg Address From Action

Re barreling is considered maintenance and the only requirement is that the barrel be stamped a minimum of .007 thousandths deep with the correct identification of the chambering. (This is very important and required) the address of the manufacture is not important because they didn't do the re barrel and as long as the serial number and manufacture is on the receiver it would be redundant.

J E CUSTOM
So it's ok to remove the address if it is on the barrel but not ok if it is on the receiver?

I know one thing, FFL/BATF questions are a dangerous thing in the internet!! The only answer that matters is the one in writing from a local BATF agent!!!
Ask a question like this one of your "local" agent and you will probably be referred to "headquarters" (technical division) where you will receive written information concerning your question.

Ask a question like this one of your "local" agent and you will probably be referred to "headquarters" (technical division) where you will receive written information concerning your question.

I guarantee it's been asked and answered multiple times or else the many gunsmiths that perform and advertise this exact type of work wouldn't be doing it...

This is the correct procedure for getting to the root of the question. Except... try asking the same question on two different occasions and getting another agent to answer. Chances approach 100% that the answers will be different.:( How do I know this to be true? I've done it, on more than one occasion.:eek: Like so many responses here, you're getting an opinion, albeit based on how the agent interprets the actual sections as written.

Something for your consideration:

We sleeve round actions with aluminum which is opaque. We create a slot in the sleeve over the serial number so it is legible and can be used for identification. But nothing else can be seen or read as it's covered by the sleeve.:rolleyes:

Enjoy!

It is called, "requesting a variance". Official Variance isn't issued by your "local" ATFE agent. A variance is issued by the Tech Division. To obtain a variance, a written request must be submitted to Tech. They may also request a physical sample before approving or denying your variance. Adam32, there is a ton of mis-information and just plain ignorance about firearms law, and what you can and can't do. That is, until it's your turn for inspection, and the inspector points out, in writing, what you are doing wrong. It can all go down hill from there if you've not dotted the "I"s and crossed the "T"s. The information is easy to find, all you have to do is take the initiative to obtain it. Many don't bother to "take the initiative"...….

Last edited:
It is called, "requesting a variance". Official Variance isn't issued by your "local" ATFE agent. A variance is issued by the Tech Division. To obtain a variance, a written request must be submitted to Tech. They may also request a physical sample before approving or denying your variance.

This is the process used for getting custom action private labeled for the rifle makers. I just went through the entire process which took about 3 weeks to get the simple variance approved. Some action manufacturers provide this as a service, including the programming for the label change. Others charge as much as $1,500.00 for the variance and the programming.

I've actually been referred back to the local as many times as I've gotten the answer from tech.

This is the correct procedure for getting to the root of the question. Except... try asking the same question on two different occasions and getting another agent to answer. Chances approach 100% that the answers will be different.:( How do I know this to be true? I've done it, on more than one occasion.:eek: Like so many responses here, you're getting an opinion, albeit based on how the agent interprets the actual sections as written.
I work with explosives and have this issue regularly. When dealing with the ATF, always get it in writing. If not, it didn't happen and you will be hung out. They interpret their own law and two agents may see things very different.

When doing custom machining on a receiver, is it legal to remove the address of the manufacturer from the receiver?

If it is illegal to remove it, is it legal to remove it and engrave it back on at a different spot?

Short answer, no it isn't legal to remove the required markings on a firearm. Your second question is answered by the first. Since the last administration declared gunsmiths fell under ITAR they were determined to be "manufacturers" and thereby bound by CFR. Further reading regarding the illegality of removing or altering of required markings is covered in the text of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (where serial numbers became mandatory instead of an indicator of contractual fulfilment).
The down and dirty is covered here:
27 CFR § 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearmsmanufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made thefirearm; and

(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as theimporter maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

(b) The depth of all markings required by this section will be measured from the flat surface of the metal and not the peaks or ridges. The height of serial numbers required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section will be measured as the distance between the latitudinal ends of the character impression bottoms (bases).

I had found some of that information on the web while researching the subject. That is one of the things that led to me asking my questions.

Based on that information it seems, if the Gunsmith is the Mfg, he can do whatever he wants to the receiver.

But if his machining removes the original mfg address, does he put the original mfg address back on it or does he put his address on it?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.