Remington Long Range

Mancill

I am on a quest to get a do all long range hunting rifle. I have tons of experience with a 308 but want a better cartridge. On a previous question I was asking about caliber selection and I think I have decided on the 7mm mag. Now for the rifle. A custom gun is out of budget so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Long Range. What is expected accuracy? Basically is it worth what it costs or is there a better option out there? Thanks in advance

I bought one in 300 win mag when they first came out. Ditched the Bell and Carlson stock because I don't care for the M40 shape and went with a Greybull precision, swapped out the factory trigger for a trigger tech set at 1.5lbs. I have been really happy with it, 168 grain vld hand loads and it'll shoot 1/2" at 100 no problem. You cant go wrong with a 7 mag, awesome bullet selections......I've just always been a .30 cal guy. I'd say go for it.

I purchased one in the .300 win mag. Very accurate with hand loads. I also swapped out the trigger. I would purchase another one if it came in more caliber choices.

I about forgot, I owned one in 25-06 as well. Put on a HS Precision stock and it shot factory ammo really well. Ended up selling it due to lack of use or need after I built a 6.5 creedmoor. Sold it to a gentleman on the forum, hope it is doing well for him.

I bought one in a .300 WM and the barrel sucked. Bigngreen said it would make an excellent tomato stake. So I needed a new barrel to get anything under 1 1/2 inches at 100 yds. Your mileage may vary. Bruce

I've got two of them... one in 300 RUM, the other in 300 Win.
Oddly enough, I bought the 300 Win on sale, new, for parts.
For you know whats n giggles.. I put a top end on it, and the **** thing is 1/2-3/4 moa with 4-5 of my handloads that I had laying around.
So goes the "parts gun" idea.

:D

I bought one when they first came out in .300WM as well. I bedded it and it topped it with a Vortex 4-16x44 HS-T. For the money, it's a good rifle in my opinion. Mine would do under 1/2 MOA with 175gr SMKs and a lighter load, everything else including 190gr SMKs, 208gr ELDs, 200gr ELD-X, 220gr SMK, they all consistently shot 3/4 MOA no matter what. I wanted better than that, so I rebarreled it. I got a bad one because I discovered the factory barrel wasn't on very tight and the threads were loose. Even with these problems it was sub MOA. Only other rifle I would recommend would be a Savage or 700 Sendero. The Long Range is a lot of gun for $650 in my opinion.

Got a 7mm. Timney trigger and break before i even shot the gun. During break in, around 4-5 shells locked up in the chamber. Very difficult to get the bolt to extract.

At the smith now getting a look over.

Remington core lokt ammo. Barrel cleaned after every shot.
Hoping its an easy fix and no head spacing. Im sure remington will want to just send a new barrel if so. Then ill need a break installed again. We shall see.

Love the gun however
Good luck

I bought one in a .300 WM and the barrel sucked. Bigngreen said it would make an excellent tomato stake. So I needed a new barrel to get anything under 1 1/2 inches at 100 yds. Your mileage may vary. Bruce

I don't think your are alone on this. 3 out of 4 my friends that purchased them in the last 3 years got rid of theirs. Only one kept his; but had to have the action blueprinted, trigger replaced, and re-barreled.

ours shoot great . lot of gun for the money. I like the sendero better . more money though.

we have 3. 2 300 win mag and a 300 rum. no problems after a year. my 300 wm has about 600 rounds through it. when I was breaking it in I loaded some 200 gr eld-x at 2790 fps. the first 10 with cleaning in between went into 3/4"

I've got one in 300rum... shoots 1/2 to 3/4 moa with known good loads... looking at another in 7rem in the next year or less, likely sooner than later. Will likely shoot it out and hang a 7stw bbl on it for gitts and shiggles... I've got a ton of odd-ball 7mm slugs on the shelf; my last buy of 500 7mm pills hasn't even been slotted for a rifle to try them in...

I've had my .300 WM for about 8 months & been very impressed. Consistently inderived 1 MOA with every factory load I've tried... 150 -195 and several brands. I do plan to swap out the stock but the gun is already a better shooter than I am in its current configuration.

I picked up one about 6 months ago for 600 bucks. Shoots 3/4" groups with had loads all day long. Stock and trigger need to go but I'm not complaining.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.