Remington 5R

But then no reply might have meant we are not supposed to know that.
Also, if Rem are making there's now, they may have done like Ruger or maybe a little more for their "better" Models. While not as smooth as a 5R, a lot of new Ruger rifles have good barrels, RPR, FTW and others, much better than the old cheap out sourced tubes of the past that gave Ruger a less than stellar reputation for accuracy.

True enough.

I did however note that Remington's website boasts "hammer forged" barrels on all their 5R's while Schneider barrels are button pulled. Not a knock on hammer forged as when done right, they're great.

I've been a lurker on this forum for years, read a lot of posts, found this one and felt I had some valuable feedback esp regarding the reputed accuracy of the 5R Rems.

First off this is my first 2 Remington rifles I've owned. My current go to rig is a Browning x-bolt Hells Canyon in 7mm-mag. Love it. My load is 160 Nosler partitions just shy of 3,100 fps and it's a mule deer smashing machine.
However this past December a buddy of mine who has a small shop called and said his supplier had a heck of a deal on a year end inventory deal IF he bought 5 certain Remington models. He said if I bought two I'd get them at his cost. On top of that there was a $75 rebate on each- so I jumped. I won't publish the price but I could sell one and basically have a free rifle.

I bought a 6.5 creedmoor and a 20" .308. I really like the handy size of the 20" barrel and it may complement my main rig which has a 26" tube.

I grabbed a box of Federal GMM, 168 gr variety and started break in and sight in. I had a vx3 4.5-14x40 lying around so I mounted it up. Used factory ammo to sight in, then started load testing using 5 shots first of Federal as a general benchmark, the starting my loads at 43gr IMR 4064, working up .3gr increments, .030 off the lands measuring velocity and groups.
Shooting top left working right. I got as far as 43.6 gr and pressure signs began and accuracy fell apart. I have less than 30 rounds down this tube! I've got a group less than .2" at 110yards.
That is the fastest I've ever worked a load.

The rifle is bone stock out of the box.

Pretty amazing in my book..

Attachments

• A41DF1D0-6937-4FAA-AD17-1655C493130D.jpeg
    A41DF1D0-6937-4FAA-AD17-1655C493130D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • 8BB669FB-E79C-4363-94CE-65798FFF4BAB.jpeg
    8BB669FB-E79C-4363-94CE-65798FFF4BAB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.