Rem Sendaro 2.... Which Caliber?

MooseMasher

Hi guys! So I had planned on getting a rifle a while back but turns out work decided to pick up the pace and get ridiculously busy. Now I've got my priorities straight and it's finally time to make a purchase. I've did a lot of browsing through the form and I really haven't heard anything bad about the Remington Sendaro 2 other than that it is a touch heavy. I did have my heart set on the Sendaro chambered in 300 Win Mag but 300 Rem Ultra Mag is very tempting. What are your guy's opinions on this? Worth stepping up to the 300 RUM? I'll mainly be hunting inside of 700 yrds and poking paper a little further. Thanks in advance!!

My choice is the 300 win mag hands down. For barrel life and brass quality especially if you plan to target shoot much and with you only wanting to shoot to 700 or so. My son and I do a lot of hunting with our 300 wins. He shoots the 230 Bergers and I shoot the 210's. They are freezer filling hammers to well past your stated distances. You do not need a Rum to shoot 700 yards.

Jeff

The 300RUM can be good IF you dont run top end loads. Throat life and overall barrel life can be rediculously short if you hot rod it. Keep 180's to 3200ish in a 26" tube and it will treat you well. 200's about 3100. You certainly can push them much faster but nothing is free.

The 300 Win gets my vote. Plenty speed and energy. Loaded properly can offer a good long life. If you want a 700 yard hunting rifle and paper a bit further, there is no real advantage to going with all that extra powder and recoil of the 300RUM. If you need a 1300-1400 yard deer rifle, then the RUM is the way to go. For up to 1K on deer, the Win mag is plenty.

What are you going to be hunting? The 264 Win Mag would be hard for me to pass up. For anything under elk that would be a no brainer for me. Even elk with the right bullets to the distances you mentioned would be more than sufficient.

But I have a thing for the 6.5's and the high ballistic, flat shooting bullets!

If you are stuck on 30 I would go with the win mag also.

Scot E.

Thanks for all the replies! Pretty sure I'm going to go with the 300 WM but might do some more reading on the 300 RUM. Sounds like I get more distance, more power and a bigger bruise on my shoulder while only have to pay more money for ammo and burn out barrels quicker. I suppose if the barrel decided it didn't want to play anymore then I guess I would be forced to put a custom barrel on it and probably increase the accuracy. Doesn't sound SO bad! Lol

Thanks again for your help!

Well, I'll throw in my two cents. I have a 300 RUM in a Sendero. It is a buck hammer at ANY distance. It is accurate and repeatable. I know it's load, and I feed it a regular diet. It rewards me with venison, quite frequently. Here comes the but. I had a sendero a few years ago in 300 win mag. I wish I had spent more time with it because I would have kept it. Further more, the added recoil from the rum IS a factor that if you don't have one, you don't know how much of a affect that it DOES make, versus the small amount off velocity difference. To be brutally honest, it really is not worth it. Now, don't get me wrong, I love this thing. I have a lot invested in it both financially and load development, and bench time. Had I to do it again, 20/20' I would be perched happily behind a win mag. Lots of GOOD brass avail, lots of records broken with it as well. Have fun. Both are a good ride, one makes better sense. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulblightbulb:) 7STW.

I really liked the 300 RUM. I had one and sold it to my brother-in-law to fund my .338 RUM. It shot very well and very flat, in all it is a great gun. Then a very good freind of mine bought a 300 winny on my recommendation and we started playing with it. turns out the 300 Win can push the 180's plenty fast, almost as fast as the 300 RUM... just way better barrel life, less recoil.
My vote goes to the Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.