Which caliber?

chain

Looking at getting a new rifle? Thinking of a .260 rem or 7-08 rem. Which caliber do you guys prefer? Use will be deer here in Michigan maybe out west. I have the 300 win for bigger things.

Chain,

It would depend on what loads shoot well in the rifle; in general, there is not a dramatic difference between them. My personal choice would be the .260 with 140 grain Bergers. That would compare closely with the 7-08 loaded with the 162 grain A-Max, but it should have a slight advantage in trajectory and windage. JMHO
Dave

Chain, have you done any good yet?

As far as calibers go are you worried the 300 WM will kill them too much? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chain,

It would depend on what loads shoot well in the rifle; in general, there is not a dramatic difference between them. My personal choice would be the .260 with 140 grain Bergers. That would compare closely with the 7-08 loaded with the 162 grain A-Max, but it should have a slight advantage in trajectory and windage. JMHO
Dave

Sounds like a couple of winners; 260/140s at ~2800, 7-08/162s at ~2700?

Sounds like a couple of winners; 260/140s at ~2800, 7-08/162s at ~2700?

Using the above example, using like for like components and max potentials, the 7mm-08 wins. Not by much but it shows that you cannot beat one cartridge with another of the same dimensions by sticking a smaller bullet in the case. Unless you are talking about recoil or trajectory. When it comes to energy and windage, the larger typically wins.

For the purposes of great brass, Lapua makes 260 brass and that is something to consider.

That said, I think I'd opt for the 7-08 with a 150 bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.