Which Caliber?

RugerHawg413

I am looking at buying a new rifle and the two that I have come down to are 6.5 creedmoor and .308 Win. I will be using it to hunt whitetail, elk, and pronghorn. With shots out to 600 yards. Thanks for all the info!

Both have the energy required to do what you're asking, the creedmoor has superior ballistics at range but at 300y ballistics between the two don't really matter. For me it would be .308 given that Elk is in the picture. Just because the Creedmoor CAN put an Elk down doesn't mean it's a great choice for the job.

I'd like to say that since you are posting in a reloading forum, you must plan to reload, right? And if the answer is yes to reloading, just why are you limiting yourself to .308 and 6.5Creed? You can beat BOTH of those for your stated game with a couple of real common things, like a 270 or 7mm RM. The big seven should not be overlooked. With lighter bullets it will not kick any harder than the 308. And the 270 is a dream happy medium. Capable of elk (at least far better than the 6.5 creed) and distance.

If you are reloading, though, give some thought to these options: 6.5x55 swede (more omph than the 6.5 Creed, but long action), 6.5x284. reputed to be barrel burner, but you are planing to hunt, which usually does not destroy barrels. Or if you can find the odd 270 WSM, 7mm WSM or SAUM, they would scratch your short action desire and bring you a better solution for the game you are listing. Or how about a .284 Win (getting a resurgence, several manufacturers are producing factory guns for it) which is great. Or a 284 Rem (7mm x 06 basically)??

Or try this one -- a 7mm-08 Its right in the middle of where you are at. Better than the creed for elk, as good for much else. Little less flat shooting that then 6.5, but better than the 308. Look at the 7mm-08 for a bit.

Oh, by the way.... Lapua makes 7mm-08 brass. Not cheap, but if you are a reloader and care about accuracy, LAPUA brass makes you a happy person.....

All this makes me wonder just why I don't own a 7mm-08 myself. Might have to talk to my wife.... Or perhaps the pick the gun I haven't shot for the longest time and have it re-barreled!!!

I gotta agree with the previous posters. The 7mm-08 in my opinion is superior at 300 yds to the 2 other cartridges listed. It would be hard to beat the 7mm-08 with Lapua brass and 140 grain accubonds or ballistic tips. That's what shoot and both have the exact POI. Practice or light skinned game with the BT's and AB's for heavier game. Good luck

If you reload the 6.5 Creed easily does 2950 with 140 class bullets. Just have to find some rl-26. If your only shooting to 300 yards just about any cartridge will do it for ya. I'm kind of biased on the 6.5 Creed because I use it for 1000 yard compatition. It does really good at long range. If you don't reload go with the 6.5 Creed anyway. Hard to find a more accurate rifle with factory ammo than the 6.5 Creed. They all seem to shoot so good. Killed my biggest buck ever with a 308 but it's just plain boring. Good round but boring none the less. Energy levels are very similar at 300 yards but the section density of the 6.5 bullets are very high. Here is a little comparison for you to think about. A 308 with a 168 Berger vld doing 2800fps will have 1200 ft pounds to 585 yards. The 6.5 Creed with a 144 Berger at 2850 has 1200 ft pounds to 780 yards. That's almost 200 more yards with the same energy. And at 585 yards the little Creed has 1480 ft pounds. At 300 yards the Creed has 100 more ft pounds than the 308. These numbers are easily verified in any ballistic program. I happen to use Shooter. Someone is going to say run a 175vld at 2700 and see. It's the same numbers as the 168 at 2800. The math doesn't lie. Wind drift numbers between the 2 are only close at 300, beyond that and the Creed easily out paces the 308. Did I mention less recoil in the Creed also. But remember I am a biased 6.5 supporter. Just look at the math yourself.
Shep

Did the math on the 7mm08 with a 140 Nosler ballistic tip at 2850. It's awesome. Has 1200 ft pounds all the way to 510 yards. 270 yards shorter than a Creed. 75 yards less than the 308. There is a reason the 6.5 Creed has become so popular. There is also a reason for so many haters. It beats the pants off of so many mid power level cartridges. And a bunch of more powerful rounds at longer range where the high bc pays off. Drink the cool-aid it taste great.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.