Which Caliber?

I loaded 444 loads for my friends Marlin lever gun that shoots 3 inch groups at 300 yards. I'm confident I could take just about any shooter and coach him very little and get hits at 600 yards consistently. At our range that has steel out to 1300 yards shooting to 700 to 800 is boringly easy. After that you really need to be good with wind reading. That's when the high bc 6.5s come in. Yes you can use 190 Berger 7mms and 215 or 230 Berger 30s but not in a 308 or 7mm08. But the little Creed has no problem with the heavier 6.5s. That's why I would go Creed. When the op gets bored at 300 he can then stretch out to his original 600 and beyond. The little Creed is still doing 1700fps at 1000 yards. The 308 is 1250fps. And the 7mm08 140 by is 1307fps. So they all make 1000 supersonic but the Creed is 400 plus fps faster even at the same starting speed. I know these numbers mean nothing to a hunter shooting 300 max yards. But a little insight to the difference between them could help out especially if the op does go to 600 yards or beyond.
Shep

348fan you would be surprised how easy it is to make 600 yard hits. A little bag manners and knowing your ballistics and you would be ringing steel shot after shot. I advise you not to do it unless you are prepared to spend money. Once you hear the steel talk back to ya it gets addicting. Then the game gets to the point you have to shoot farther and farther. I'm lucky I'm still hooked on 1000 yard. I'm sure the 1 mile and 2 mile are going to get me sooner rather than later.
Shep

History will prove me right.. the best is A 7mm Remington magnum. I do not own one i like the heaver rounds . If I had to choose one rifle it would be the 7mm mag or the best caliber in the world 300 win mag. I also do not own one of them because I have a rifle for every game in the world starting with the 6mm rem and ending with the 416 Taylor. and the most accurate hunting rifle I know of was an cheap black winchester 70 with plastic stock 26" bbl a 160 loaded with 870 at 3060 and a 1/4" group at a 100 meters.. also it had a cheap simmons scope go figure.

25WSM I really appreciate your enthusiasm and confidence in me and I don't want to steal this thread but I'll leave that type of long range shooting / hunting to others. The range I belong only has a 200 yard lane and I have a nice 3 inch group with a Siamese 45-70 with a 2.5 scope I can keep in my wallet. I have plenty of rigs to reach much further but while my eyes are still able, receiver sights and getting to game is my addiction.

Either will do just fine, most have favorites and may make you think about something else, but to your question pick the one YOU want.

The bigger bullet, 308. Someone added the 7-08 which would be a very viable option also. If you want to extend your range or just flatten it out try ALCO bullets in the 30 or the 7. The numbers seem to be game changers. I'll find out this fall.

I loaded 444 loads for my friends Marlin lever gun that shoots 3 inch groups at 300 yards. I'm confident I could take just about any shooter and coach him very little and get hits at 600 yards consistently. At our range that has steel out to 1300 yards shooting to 700 to 800 is boringly easy. After that you really need to be good with wind reading. That's when the high bc 6.5s come in. Yes you can use 190 Berger 7mms and 215 or 230 Berger 30s but not in a 308 or 7mm08. But the little Creed has no problem with the heavier 6.5s. That's why I would go Creed. When the op gets bored at 300 he can then stretch out to his original 600 and beyond. The little Creed is still doing 1700fps at 1000 yards. The 308 is 1250fps. And the 7mm08 140 by is 1307fps. So they all make 1000 supersonic but the Creed is 400 plus fps faster even at the same starting speed. I know these numbers mean nothing to a hunter shooting 300 max yards. But a little insight to the difference between them could help out especially if the op does go to 600 yards or beyond.
Shep
No insults intended 25wsm, but I feel this reply is the reason it's becoming harder to find mature bulls in all units, example: did I get him? I don't know! Spring horn hunter yells, "Dude!", look what I found

No offense taken but last I checked this is the long range hunting site. I don't condone anybody hunting past their talent level. And my post said nothing about shooting game. I was talking about shooting steel if you reread the post. I don't know of any steel that got away when hit bad. Shooting steel is the best way to become proficient with long range shooting. Probably not a person on this site that hasn't shot steel to get good before committing to shooting game at longer distances. I shoot 1000 yard compatition but would only shoot at game up to 600 to 700 yards. That's how far I can reliably hit steel in most conditions. I would never tell anybody not to hunt how they want. Do what you have confidence in. But shooting steel is just that. A learning experience that just happens to be very fun.
Shep

No offense taken but last I checked this is the long range hunting site. I don't condone anybody hunting past their talent level. And my post said nothing about shooting game. I was talking about shooting steel if you reread the post. I don't know of any steel that got away when hit bad. Shooting steel is the best way to become proficient with long range shooting. Probably not a person on this site that hasn't shot steel to get good before committing to shooting game at longer distances. I shoot 1000 yard compatition but would only shoot at game up to 600 to 700 yards. That's how far I can reliably hit steel in most conditions. I would never tell anybody not to hunt how they want. Do what you have confidence in. But shooting steel is just that. A learning experience that just happens to be very fun.
Shep
My bad, missed shooting steel part. You have to be careful with us Millenials...we tend to speed read

I think shooting steel is the single best way to improve your shooting. Once you get good off the bench and get distances dialed it then shoot from field positions. I love the instant gratification of steel ringing. Or the 3 second wait when you shoot 1300 yards. Boom. Watch and wait. Steel starts swinging. Wait some more. Clang. It's too much fun. That's what I was talking about getting anybody to make hits with a little coaching. Like I also said no offense taken. Even if you are a millennial.😁
Shep

Was
Shep
but please remember that my generation doesn't listen to every detail & pulling the trigger is the easy part....

I shoot elk with both and it's all in how you roll, I shoot Berger 215's in my 308 and 140 Berger or 124 Hammers in the Creeds, an elk won't know the difference but push it out farther the 308 with real bullets like a 200.20x or 215 and while you have to crank some elevation on, the windage numbers are good and they hit hard and drive deep. I can out range the Creed with my 308 but it's about the bullet and setting up to do it.

One reason I like going to the range. Way more trigger pulling. A friend is always trying to get me to go shoot prairie dogs. Tells me I can kill 100s. I ask him if they taste good. He said he leaves them lay. I just can't go kill them just to shoot. Steel don't care when I smack it. And I don't have to drive 20 hrs away either.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.