Which Caliber?

I all reality the 6.5, 28, and 30's don't really do any thing the .270 can't do just as good. Not saying there bad because they are all very good calibers and cartridges. The .270 does not get the credit it deserves, it shoots a lot farther and flatter than what most think. If you really want to change barrels I'd go with a .270 with faster twist to get all you can out of the higher BC bullets. I have not did much studding on the Sherman cartridges but if you want some thing new but not a lot of work to make the brass the 270 Sherman looks like it would be fun. If you want a new caliber and want it for hunting and long range with easy to get components I'd go with the 30-06, but the .270 Win. will still do that too. But me being a gun guy I'd leave my first rifle a lone and buy another rifle, that way you would have two rifles to work with and enjoy and have fun with.

I plan to use it for WT Deer, Hog and plinking. I had also planned to upgrade the stock as well, so this is going to be a semi custom job with Hart doing the Smith work. I already own a Custom 28 Nosler for the chance I go Elk hunting, I was mainly looking for a new "toy" to use for plinking and hunting. I enjoy shooting and really cannot with the 28 unless I want to re-barrel it each year. I also have a 7 Remington Mag in Ruger M77 Mark II that may get a new barrel as well, I may make that one a 30 Caliber, a 30-28 Nosler since I have 28 Brass. I am really leaning towards a 6.5 or 280AI, but I have always wanted something in a 6.5, a tack driver, I just don't know which one yet.
If you want a low recoil inherently accurate rifle to just grab and go shoot a 6.5-284 is going to fit that nicely, plus there's plenty of factory loads, reloading components, and you don't have to do anything with you're action.

I agree that the 30-06 is a natural, and ammunition can be found just about anywhere for it. However, you might think about the 25-06, too. Either one is fun to plink with, good for hogs, and will absolutely stomp a Whitetail. And the 25-06 is just fun to shoot prairie dogs with. I actually make most of my brass for the 25-06 from 270 Winchester casings.

In all seriousness of course, I love questions like this posting. Some many options, so much passion and research has been used ..., happily I add, and point/counterpoint is respectfully given and received. Who else..where else but a passionate shooter would know the nuances.tricks and pitfalls to avoid. Fantastic thread guys!!!
Me I'd seriously look at a Sherman short or or tactical. 30/06 if you want easy, efficient and brutally, ..280Ai . So in love with that one.
I haven't seen a .338/06 or a 35 whelen. I believe those are larger than originally planned but definitely neat options.

Have fun!

Love my 280AI. Plus, I can buy 7mm bullets and use them in my 7-08, 280AI and 7mm RM. Great broad spectrum of bullets. Only one larger is .308, I believe. Still like my .270 Win, but the AI outperforms it on several levels.

I have a Winchester M70 Lightweight Carbine I purchased when I was 18, that was 24yrs ago. I am looking to re-barrel this rifle, I was thinking about sending it to Hart Barrels and have them put a new barrel on it. That had me thinking about changing caliber as well, with the M70 receiver, what would you guys recommend? I had thought about a 6.5-284, what would work for that receiver? I reload my own ammo, but I don't want to make my own brass, I would like to stay with something that is readily available on the market. I do not have a 30 caliber in my arsenal and do not have a 6.5 in my arsenal. Any thoughts out there that I could use with the receiver?

Thanks.

Not sure what you hunt. Pretty hard to beat 300 short win mag for anything.

Lycanit,
I see you menchend the 338-06 and the 35 Whelen, I didn't list them as I did not feel it was any thing the OP would consider. Many people think any thing over 30 caliber has to much recoil and is a short range cartridge, but both shoot much flatter, farther, and are much more versatile than they get credit for.

Lycanit,
I see you menchend the 338-06 and the 35 Whelen, I didn't list them as I did not feel it was any thing the OP would consider. Many people think any thing over 30 caliber has to much recoil and is a short range cartridge, but both shoot much flatter, farther, and are much more versatile than they get credit for.
Yes, the 338-06 does anyway with the 250 gr. Bullet. They both have a good purpose. The 338-06 will have a better reach.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.